16" bar on a ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fidiro

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
$350 pretty much everywhere in the lower 48. Getting $290 for a used 029S was a heck of a score on your part.

Saw was in very good shape and I probably got a bite from someone who was on fleabay trying to score one and finally gave up when the nice ones were always going well over 300 w/shipping. Funny thing is I had it listed for 290 two guys drove down sunk that new 18" bar/chain into some oak and handed me 290 did not even attempt to negotiate.:msp_thumbsup: So yes I guess I scored still since I didn't have to box it up and ship it if I sold it on fleebay, but buyer also got to test it out before purchase which is nearly impossible if it sold on fleebay.

John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen

ArboristSite Operative
My 361 wears a 16 inch Rollomatic ES with 3/8 RMC Stihl chain, and my 441M-Tronic wears an 18 Rollomatic ES with 3/8 RMC Stihl chain, or for the big stuff a 25 Rollomatic ES with 3/8 RSC Stihl chain.

I tried a 16 on the 441 and it wasn't balanced very well and for the wood we cut just didn't work out well.

So to answer your question, throw a 16 on it with a good loop of RMC if you're cutting dirtier wood, or RSC if it's clean and watch the rounds pile up.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just curious, what will a 361 with a 15" bar do that a 346 won't? Do you own both because you love saws?

It will do it a bit faster with that setup, when I am in the mood for that - but admittedly the 346xp has taken over some of the tasks I mostly used the 361 for earlier. Those two saw have been the two that most often have resided in my car as well! :msp_thumbsup:

My 361 is an Euro one, that is a little stronger than the US ones, and the muffler is modded by Andy.

Last edited:
VTWoodchuck

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Thank you all for the advice and tips. I've pretty much dedided to get a 16" bar for the 361 and sell the 290 while I can get something for it. Still hate to part with a saw though.:(
Was talking to my dealer today,(its kind of a hangout) and he was saying how much he loved his husky 350 and used it alot. Those suckers DO cut. I'm thinking the ms 361 and the 350 will make a good pair. Love to get a 440 someday but don't really need it for the firewood I cut.

VTWoodchuck

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Well, I put an 16" on there and holy crap! Cuts like a rapped ape! Probably helps that it's just now getting broke in, 15-20 tanks. Made the switch to ultra oil too.
The 290 is def getting sold.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Well, I put an 16" on there and holy crap! Cuts like a rapped ape! Probably helps that it's just now getting broke in, 15-20 tanks. Made the switch to ultra oil too.
The 290 is def getting sold.

The short bar surely helps - try a 3/8x8 rim with it. Rims are cheap, unless you buy it from Stihl......

Parting with a 290 shouldn't be a problem - it isn't even remotely close to a nice saw anyway! :smile2: