18 too small?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 16" on my 460. Works beautiful like that

I just got some 13" GB bars milled out to Stihl mount too.

I agree 16" is enough for most firewood jobs.
John

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Le3-1Zn0OHI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Le3-1Zn0OHI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

that must be a factory bar since stihls can't handle anything bigger :cheers::cheers::popcorn::popcorn::D

Too short for ya?:)

518443366_gW2dr-L.jpg

well, i robbed a 18inch bar and put it on my 440, it balances perfectly!!!!!!!!!! if i lift it with 1 finger in the middle of the bar, it doesn't rock forward or backwards when i lift it. it is easy to move around and think it will be much more fun to use! now i just have to shop around for the right bar and chain prices!

i am looking around for an 18inch bar for the 440, i am not seeing much listed for the 440, maybe i just havre't found the right one yet. what other models will fit the 440? will a 290 or small fit on there?

i am looking around for an 18inch bar for the 440, i am not seeing much listed for the 440, maybe i just havre't found the right one yet. what other models will fit the 440? will a 290 or small fit on there?

As someone else said - a lot of Stihl bars and also other ones will fit - you just have to find the right one! The selection is great, it just is a matter of knowing what you do, and why - and that is not easy to tell in a post on here!

The issue has been discussed over and over in the past - and if you find a "final answer" there, you found something that I never did!

The clue is to learn for yourself what all possible differences are about, and how they impact the final result!

I would go with a 20" if you want a smaller bar. You won't be able to tell any difference in cutting speed with a 20 over an 18 in a 440. A couple extra inches could'nt hurt anything. At least thats what my ole lady keeps telling me. :)

I do 90% of my cutting with an 18" bar on a 60cc saw. The 70cc with a 20" bar just seems so much heavier, bulkier, and more awkward when using it all day long.

well, a 70cc saw is what i have and is what i am going to stick with...as long as an 18 doesnt hurt the engine at all(which it shouldn't as long as it is tuned?) i need to find a good dealer and speak with them and see what they have for me.

??? You call 20" on a 440 a big saw? I didn't tell him to run a 28" like I have on mine. 20" will balance nicely. Much shorted and you don't need to be carrying a power head of that size. Fit the tool to the job.

It's all relative, Brad. Yes, I consider a "big" saw to be larger than 70cc and more than 20" of bar. Most folks around here doing fire wood run a 45-50cc saw with a 16" bar and homeowners typically have 35-40cc Poulans. My largest saw is only 54cc and will be wearing an 18" or 20" bar when I get around to it.

Go with the 20" B&C,if you stick around here long enough your gonna put big dogs on it and that will bring the usable cutting length back a couple inches anyway:cheers:

18 ans 20 ?? Thats only 2 inches right? I would get the 20, especially considering you dogs are going to take up an inch or two of that.
I would try Baileys or Madsen's for you new bar.

ran across this old thread....update, i bought a 20inch yellow box bar and chain, i love it! i am glad i didn't go smaller, i think what blsnelling (?) said, any smaller and i don't need a power head that big. i just picked up a 310 that has been straight gassed, i am going to have that be my smaller 18 saw i could use all day. it is locked up, that is a different thread in itself. :D

Do you have a Stihl dealer close to you? Stihl bars are probably the best bet for both money and durability. ES bars preferably. I just picked up a 20in. Stihl ES bar for 43 bucks new to give you an idea.

Latest posts

Back