1st post. New 357XP w/pics & vid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGoBlue

Those who stay will be champions
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all from the Gettysburg PA area. I've been lurking the forum, figured it was time for my first post. I've been heating w/ wood for 3 seasons now. I started w/ a Husqvarna 450e.
DSC02489.jpg

My father was always a loyal Husky guy and it just trickled down to me. The 450 was great for the "free" apple wood I had access to. Fast forward two years and apple wood is just too much work. Now I'm into big oaks:
DSC02512.jpg

So I put the 450 on Craigslist and sold it to offset the cost of a new 357XP:
DSC02521.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

And my first saw which was a gift years ago (w/ a new 14" oregon b/c) which I use to limb:
DSC02519.jpg

I took some pics today and thought I'd share:
DSC02514.jpg

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

Welcome aboard,

You got yourself a nice saw there. I myself just picked up stihl's version of that saw a MS361. I am a stihl guy because I have a great dealer 3 miles from me, or I probably have a husky or 2 (that may still happen cad sucks). Good luck with it. New member and saw rep coming.

Very nice. I almost bought one. Actually had it in my hands, until the salesman told me the price, then I quickly put it down:msp_sad:

Keep us posted on how you like it.

Great firewood saw!

I bought my 357xp used last summer and absolutely love it. I'd rather use one of my 346xp, but I bring out the 357 for the big stuff and have not been disappointed.
:msp_smile:

Actually the new 357 is better than the older ones. They took care of the carb and carb boot/clamp problems. And unlike most new models, no primer bulb on this one. Worth the price, IMO.

Nice saw, and you Get a A+ for posting with pics for your first post. Welcome to AS , hope you stick around , might learn something from these guys or we might learn something from you.

Beefie

Sorry bout that. I wasn't allowed to post more than 10 pics/vids on my 1st one and the thread had to be approved :dizzy: by a mod.
Carry on:
YouTube - ‪Cutting wet oak w/ my Husqvarna 357XP‬‏
YouTube - ‪Cutting wet oak w/ new Husqvarna 357XP‬‏

DSC02501.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

I came here to learn a few tips indeed. Feel free to critique:
DSC02503.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

This tree wouldn't fall the way I thought it would, so I notched the other side and she fell. Very scary couple of days... I left it overnight hoping the wind would give it a push but it didn't happen.
DSC02510.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm sure I will learn alot from this board.

Wedges , ropes , felling levers all are good tools to get wood on the ground .
Sometimes it pays just to drop the tree in the direction it wants to go if the lean is to much or the crown is too heavy on one side .
Learn to pick your battles , always look up and make sure you have an escape route .

I do like the 357xp saws. You may end up with a nice 372xp sometime. ;)

This is an awesome first thread. cutting a new cut over top another cut like you did in that last pic is very dangerous. I have tried it twice and bent a bar in half one time and bout got my leg broke another. They can easily kick out at you and it happens fast. I was like you and did'nt have wedges and comealongs. Now I do. Wedges are your best friend while felling trees. You can manipulate a tree quite a bit with a couple good wedges. The Oak have lots of big heavy limbs hanging over your head. Keep ya eyes up man!

Welcome to the site! Rep comin. Good job bud.

That tree was dangerous. I'm soaking up all opinions and critiques, believe me. All the orchards I cut in had the trees bulldozed, so my only instruction felling has been the internet. Unfortunately this woods is very overgrown and the trees are tight way up high. I can't seem to get the trees falling quick enough to drop the whole way.

The 357 is runnin awesome. I didn't want to go up in weight, so it seemed to be the one for me, + the cost of the big guns :msp_ohmy: was way out of my league.

Latest posts

Back