2 hand on the chainsaw at all times when cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you just gotta know in all worst case scenarios where the bar may go in relation to your body and correct your positioning (of bar and or self) if the possibility exists for contact during or after a cut. If there is any chance of the "kick back quadrant" making contact on another branch etc, then it is time to 2 hand. Furthermore the plane of the bar should be positioned or, again, your body to avoid an accident if it occurs. The bar will kickback in line with the plane of the bar. Kickback can occur INSIDE the cut too by pinching in the kickback quadrant and cause an accident.

If someone can honestly say they do tree work full time to pay all their bills and they have never one handed a chainsaw, then they probably have trouble gassing up the 83 Toyota Corolla when it is running low.

I have made millions of dollars doing tree work with just myself and a gm over the years and I one hand all day. Sometimes I even one hand my 090 or 880 on a cut I call the slide cut for big wood chunks.

When I'm in the bucket I one hand all the time. Grab, cut, throw. Grab, cut, throw. Even on bigger wood I'm cutting with a rear handle. One hand on the chunk, one on the saw. I usually try to keep the saw below the bucket rim in that case though. When climbing I still one hand though not quite as much because I tend to rope more and don't need to hold the branch with my "free" hand. Just the way it is. People have been doing the same thing accident free for years. As with most things in this biz, you can follow safety guidelines to a T but if you don't know your #### and aren't paying attention you'll still get hurt. Or you can cut one handed with only one TIP, no PPE for your entire career and never get hurt because you pay attention.

The good old days:

Anyone remember one handing the old 020 AV's??

I wonder what it would be like to use one of them these days? surely heavy as all heck. We used to run em with 16" bars...I still miss that 2" of extra bar quite often. I'm thinking of shopping for a new 16 incher for my one handing...maybe I'll go check out Baileys right now..

Anyone remember one handing the old 020 AV's??

I wonder what it would be like to use one of them these days? surely heavy as all heck. We used to run em with 16" bars...I still miss that 2" of extra bar quite often. I'm thinking of shopping for a new 16 incher for my one handing...maybe I'll go check out Baileys right now..

Those old 020av's really cranked. Prob as much as the ms200. I probably owned and sold 40 or more of them over the years.

Those old 020av's really cranked. Prob as much as the ms200. I probably owned and sold 40 or more of them over the years.

Yeah they did. I wonder how they really compare #'s wise??

There are still some of those saws out there sitting in homeowners basements in mint shape I'm sure.

not my video just one from u tube but when i was in my teens i got one of these saws and they are so lite and can easyily one hand them it was my first chainsaw i got to find me another one as well there a pretty common saw a lot of them where made

That thing is sick dog! I want one.

Awesome vid too! :clap:

I had that saw many years ago. sounded exactly like that, and weighed nothing.
It was temperamental as heck, and one day it wouldn't start, again, so I threw it from over 80' up.:mad:

My ground man picked it up, and it started first pull.:censored: he insisted on tying it on and sending it up.
I warned him.
the second time I tossed it, I solved the problem permanently. Stihl 020/200 ever since.

Last edited:
I had that saw many years ago. sounded exactly like that, and weighed nothing.
It was temperamental as heck, and one day it wouldn't start, again, so I threw it from over 80' up.:mad:

My ground man picked it up, and it started first pull.:censored: he insisted on tying it on and sending it up.
I warned him.
the second time I tossed it, I solved the problem permanently. Stihl 020/200 ever since.

Yeah but for ladder work? Come on man, get with the program!

just starting out..

I'm slowly getting gear to do some tree work and such but I dont have very much stuff at all really guess got to start somewhere I have had some issues with macs and starting but modding them a bit here and there or porting them i can make a crappy saw run decent my mac 3200 has a printer cartrige holder(little box you store a spare in) for an airbox runs good now..

Did you even watch the vid dano?

Again: sick dog! :hmm3grin2orange:

well, lets see: I clicked the link and a video of a black and yellow top handle sitting on a stump started to play. Then somebody started the saw and revved it for a second then the video ended. I think the video was titled MAC 160.

well, lets see: I clicked the link and a video of a black and yellow top handle sitting on a stump started to play. Then somebody started the saw and revved it for a second then the video ended. I think the video was titled MAC 160.

I really hope you realize I was being sarcastic dan. I would think you would know me better than that by now.

Another possible response: go smoke another blunt, that one flew over yer head like a 747. lol

Just kidding buddy. :)

Yeah but for ladder work? Come on man, get with the program!
I use a ladder to get over big crotches, nothing to do with saw work.

:confused: and I'm wondering what program you're talking about. probably involves riding a short bus, or holding hands so as not to get seperated.

want a lighter saw, get a 192.
I told ya what I do to POS saws, We had an echo getting ready to suffer that fate,
til the crusher lived up to his name and beat me to it. put it into a big log with the boss on the other end running a big stihl, the stihl finished the cut first and the echo stayed under the roll.:laugh:

Last edited:
mac

Lol all you guys that hate mac saws I feel your pain but I think bmw owns the company now never know bmw could come out with a mac that would blow your mind afterall they make expensive cars...but for me I'm just starting out and with the way the economy is money is tight..

I really hope you realize I was being sarcastic dan. I would think you would know me better than that by now.

Another possible response: go smoke another blunt, that one flew over yer head like a 747. lol

Just kidding buddy. :)

Yeah great joke.

But I also saw another Mac video- 610 on some blue spruce. It didn't look good.

Latest posts

Back