2 hand on the chainsaw at all times when cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will really make the safety guys cringe but I am sure others do it.

I am going to make that cut with the power head upside down (2 hands on saw tho....one on top handle and one on rear of casing)

I use my second hand on the saw the same way often. other times I even pull up on the breakaway lanyard, which levers the saw on the dogs when cutting big horizontal pieces.

Whenever it was that stihl came out with these 200T's to replace the 020 av seems to be when they switched to a 14" bar. I always assumed this was because the old ones had more power...I'm really curious if thats true or not. I really hate the 14" bar the more I think about it, but I dont want to turn my baby into a dog either...

if you pulled the spark screen..........

Whenever it was that stihl came out with these 200T's to replace the 020 av seems to be when they switched to a 14" bar. I always assumed this was because the old ones had more power...I'm really curious if thats true or not. I really hate the 14" bar the more I think about it, but I dont want to turn my baby into a dog either...

you should be fine.

you should be fine.

Our very own oldirty tuned her right up nice. The saw was only a week old or so when he did it, that thing rips. I was a little worried at first because I'm now a saw tinkerer and I didnt want to blow it up, but she's been screaming for probably a year so far. I just sharpen em up and put gas and oil in em personally, maybe blow out the filters once in awhile.

Last edited:

Never saw an 020 AV with a 16" bar but the Poulans gave the option of 14 or 16 going out the door. I think that big bar would get in the way and lose a little power.

Our very own oldirty tuned her right up nice. The saw was only a week old or so when he did it, that thing rips. I was a little worried at first because I'm now a saw tinkerer and I didnt want to blow it up, but she's been screaming for probably a year so far. I just sharpen em up and put gas and oil in em personally, maybe blow out the filters once in awhile.

Real easy to adjust a carb. For a while Stihl took off the high adjustment and had auto adjustment of peak (maybe still does) but maybe got complaints and it is back. Just screw in both H and L being careful not to overtorque and damage the needle then back screws out to factory specs...... 3/4 turn on high and 1 turn on low....then tune to ear.

Man, we blow our filters out daily, sometimes more than that. Prob good to blow cooling fins out once in a while too.

maybe those who write the ANSI rules should try limbing off over a house or powerlines when there is no safe central leader to rope anything to! yep ill use both hands on the saw, in the mean time the damage caused by dropping debris i couldnt hold onto...... well Ill just blame it on ANSI. LOL

there is no greater authority in the air trimming/removing trees than the person up there doing the work!!!!

LXT..............

This throwing of saws outta trees that didn't run was commonplace back in the late 60's to early 70's until more dependable saws were produced.

Most commonly tossed was the Homelite Super 2 (guessing name). It had 2 throttles (front and rear) and was a POS. That saw in the video, called the Mini Mac was also a POS and got some air time. The McCullough...Power Mac 6 was the 020 of the era and quite dependable with plenty of power. I worked for a company called Shearer Tree in Trenton NJ that everyone would pick their saw up on the way out the door in a little cubby hole and put it back at night. Maybe 40 or them in the big wall unit.

I remember one time I was new to that company and the company foreman, Cal Smith, lent me his Power mac 6 in a tree as I was out of gas, and I ended up dropping it, prob got caught in a kerf thinking back. It bounded down a hill and chased him, almost hitting him. He was fuming, but I wasn't someone you wanted to jump in their sheeat. I brought him two parts PM 6's the next day I had and we were good as gold from then on.

One time we went out in the Head boats off the coast of NJ. One guy, the crane op, hooked a 8 to 10 foot shark and mate agreed to pull him up on deck as the guy wanted to put him on his station wagon and take him home with him. We, maybe 6 of us, were drunk as skunks. By morning after sobering up and the mate smacking the shark all night with his club, the guy no longer wanted to take the big stinking fish home on his roof. The mate kicked him out the gate into the ocean, and he just swam away like nothing happened (5 or 6 hours later). One tough animal.

Sorry to digress.:chatter:

i want a mac mini and a super 2, i am also after a stihl 010V or the 011av and the 020av

"This old girl is all about making a big pile of chips in a fast way:) MADE IN THE USA!! "
Quote from that 2nd video, Oh man, fast it wasn't.

Chucked a few Super 2's and Poulan 25's, got a rash of crap for calling them heavy underpowered crap here one time.....compared to the 020's they are!

I have an old 020AV waiting to be revived should probably take it to my shop instead of sitting in the furnace room some day.

M.Green-SVTS

this M.Green-SVTS gave me a damn negative for stating my thoughts on using the top handle with one hand. Man that is a great way to get my first negative, giving an honest response to a question on here. Oh well doesnt mean a thing anyways. I hope this is a differant M.Green from Maine then the M.Green that posted in here admitting he cuts one handed at times.

So again it was M.Green-SVTS that gave me the negative for nothing so...

this M.Green-SVTS gave me a damn negative for stating my thoughts on using the top handle with one hand. Man that is a great way to get my first negative, giving an honest response to a question on here. Oh well doesnt mean a thing anyways. I hope this is a differant M.Green from Maine then the M.Green that posted in here admitting he cuts one handed at times.

I thought you had some sensible words on the subject.

EVERYBODY cuts one-handed, otherwise we wouldn't spend $500 - $600 for a top handled saw. :dizzy: :confused: they might tell ya different, and actually have some ridiculous safety restraints, but do it anyway. :laugh:

Maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but why would they make a saw with only room for one hand on it, that was perfectly designed to cut one handed, allowing the use of your other hand to hold, throw or push what your cutting, that allowed you to reach out and cut a branch that otherwise would be outside your reach. I have been useing saws all my life, in a tree or on the ground their an extension of my arms. It wasn't tell I learned to use a computer that I found out I'm doing it all wrong and unsafe. I wonder how I survived these last 30 years?

Maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but why would they make a saw with only room for one hand on it, that was perfectly designed to cut one handed, allowing the use of your other hand to hold, throw or push what your cutting, that allowed you to reach out and cut a branch that otherwise would be outside your reach. I have been useing saws all my life, in a tree or on the ground their an extension of my arms. It wasn't tell I learned to use a computer that I found out I'm doing it all wrong and unsafe. I wonder how I survived these last 30 years?

There isn't 'only room for one hand' sparky...there are two handles, just they are so close together that the balance is such you CAN hold it with one hand...

In the UK (geez, I say that too much) for your practical test for 'chainsaw from a rope and harness' exam, you are ALLOWED to make a one handed cut as long as you are cutting way from your ropes and there is no chance of cutting your body, and to do otherwise would compromise safety, usually way out on the end of a limb...it is a bit speculative but as all (well, most) assessors are actual practitioners they can tell when its safe or not.

My tutor had a saying though...we put in on the back of a t shirt along with the rest of his choice phrases...
"one handed chainsaw use...bastard deserves to die...":chainsaw:

That sucks .I think everybody that has posted on this subject has been honest ,yet respectfull of others opinions.

I can't seem to find him.
Quote his post so all of us can give him the "respect " HE deserves.

My very first laddder experience was terrible. It was after an ice storm and my boss sent me up the ladder to cut a limb hanging over a den. I had a rope through a crotch at the top of the tree and a man at the bottom. (I was green (about 6 months green) and my boss told us what to do. so I climb the ladder, get up to the top, signal to the other ground man. And started to make my cut. Here are the mistakes.

1) It was a poplar frozen.
2) had glair ice
3) the groundman at that time didn't have his dose of pills that day and wasn't level headed at all.
4) my boss put no thought in where the spread from the limb was going to go.

I cut the limb and about half way through it snapped. the ground man held the limb like he was supposed to but the spread swung down and hit the ladder and sent me flying. Broke my pelvis and my wrist. Was getting paid under the table so workmans comp couldn't give me anything. I was out for weeks with no income

Was it this guy ?

edit: I have withdrawn my previous offer of rep , on the grounds of the possibility of mistaken identity.

Last edited:
Sometimes I one-hand my 200t. But not with any crucial items, like body parts and climbing lines, in the kickback zone. And I keep the pics of MonkeyManJoe's face, after kickback, fresh in my mind.

Please don't rag on McCullogh saws , my first climbing saws were top handle mini Macs, the ones that had the little thumb lever for manual oiling. They were peppy little saws that rattled apart after a few months of use. Replacements were plentiful at local yard sales and flea markets.

Sooooo. You're not like, telling tales are ya man?? :poke:

Back