2-man saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, I can't help wondering if the float is floating.
Dean:cheers:

It seems in good shape and definitely not fuel saturated. I do have a spare to try out. I know that I had the top clip come loose on the KB6 once and that poured fuel out. One thing I didn't check was if the needle shaft was moving freely in the cover. That could definitely screw things up.

Chris B.

Far as the chain, right now I have it soaking in acid. Probably half the loop is stuck and I started to individually free up links. I'll see what it looks like in the morning.

This has turned out to be a bust. Pulled the chain out of the bath when I got off work. The tie-straps, cutters, and drivers all cleaned up real nice and most of the links freed up. However, it is very apparent the rivets rotted quite badly during the saw's exposure. Some tie-straps fell loose and the chain broke in half because alot of the remains of the rotted rivets dissolved.

I don't know if this chain can be saved. Maybe tacking every single rivet on both sides (over 200 welds I'm guessing). That approach assumes that what's left of the rivets is viable.

Think I need to be looking for some Oregon chipper. What I'll have to do in the meanwhile is put together the 2 loops of Oregon I do have and that means robbing the KB6 and reinstalling the scratcher chain.

Chris B.

Would appreciate you fellas keepin your eyes out for a shoter bar/chain and something like a H&S dog for a DA211. Want to set one up for single man operation. 38" and no dogs just cant get any leverage.

Bb1-4

I have owned this saw for a few years but I am in the final stage now of rebuilding this nice Rinco BB1-4, probably built right after the war. A nice trade got me the parts to almost finish it.

The magneto ignition is currently being rebuilt in Germany (very expensive :mad:), and it will be a runner soon after that I hope. Still a few smaller things missing, but not to big of a problem I think.

This has turned out to be a bust. Pulled the chain out of the bath when I got off work. The tie-straps, cutters, and drivers all cleaned up real nice and most of the links freed up. However, it is very apparent the rivets rotted quite badly during the saw's exposure. Some tie-straps fell loose and the chain broke in half because alot of the remains of the rotted rivets dissolved.

I don't know if this chain can be saved. Maybe tacking every single rivet on both sides (over 200 welds I'm guessing). That approach assumes that what's left of the rivets is viable.

Think I need to be looking for some Oregon chipper. What I'll have to do in the meanwhile is put together the 2 loops of Oregon I do have and that means robbing the KB6 and reinstalling the scratcher chain.

Chris B.

Out of curiosity what kind of acis are you soaking your chain in? I have a 36'' scratcher that came on my mall 7h that is in rough shape.

Would appreciate you fellas keepin your eyes out for a shoter bar/chain and something like a H&S dog for a DA211. Want to set one up for single man operation. 38" and no dogs just cant get any leverage.

Grab you a shorty off a 101

kb31/2

any info on these? was it a stationary motor or were there set up for a saw. this one has a pulley for a belt and no handles. just wondering a bout it as i have not seen or herd of one.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Now we're cooking:

[video=youtube_share;UaOJnTX2p84]http://youtu.be/UaOJnTX2p84[/video]

Ended up putting a new carby on it and replacing the lame plastic fuel line with some 1/4" copper. (Call me lazy, but I didn't feel like bending steel brake line.) I'll postmortem the old carb to try and figure out why it kept dumping fuel. I did fill the bowl and hold the needle shut by hand. Nothing ever leaked out.

While I figure out how to deal with my 60" chain rivets, I'll steal the bar/chain off the KB6 to run this thing thru its paces.

Chris B.

Sounds really good...is that your own muffler? I bought one from Brian off a KB generator that I plan on copying later.

Nope, that's the original with the saw. Modifiedmark straightened a couple dents and brazed the seam, and I blasted and painted it. All before messing with the engine. From what I've seen, that muffler in good shape may be the single most valuable part of the saw.

Chris B.

Thought I'd throw this up for any KB guys looking for clutch cables. I managed to fit a modern replacement cable to my KB7--didn't need to but I wanted to know if I could make it work.

Both ends are threaded the same as the OEM cable so you get to reuse all the original joints.

Clutch throw-out end fit into the clamps with absolutely no modification:

For the handle end, I had to extend the 1/4-28 threads about 1 1/2" (got a bit carried away here) and cut off the same amount. Otherwise, you would clamp on the sheath in a very awkward spot:

I wasn't able to get the old anti-kink springs off the original cable and am quite sure they wouldn't fit this cable. I'll poke around for an alternative.

Anyway, the whole assembly operates quite smoothly and the clutch has a real nice over-center snap. My original cable must have been out of adjustment:

Last edited:
I've read this entire thread now and I have to say that there are some very nice restorations and projects here. :rock: I've picked up a complete Poulan 44 two man and part of another 44 with bar and helper handle. They are consecutively serial numbered, were used locally, and the guy supposedly has two more. I'm hoping to get in touch with him about the other two and any extra parts/chain that may be laying around. Maybe he'll even be able to provide more info on them or some advice, which leads me to the reason I'm posting here.

I know nothing about these saws and my google fu is apparently too weak to turn up anything useful. I need IPL's, service manuals, etc., and if anyone happens to be close by, possibly some advice or assistance in getting one running. Just guessing based on looking through this thread, but Poulan two mans are either unpopular or rare?

I've read this entire thread now and I have to say that there are some very nice restorations and projects here. :rock: I've picked up a complete Poulan 44 two man and part of another 44 with bar and helper handle. They are consecutively serial numbered, were used locally, and the guy supposedly has two more. I'm hoping to get in touch with him about the other two and any extra parts/chain that may be laying around. Maybe he'll even be able to provide more info on them or some advice, which leads me to the reason I'm posting here.

I know nothing about these saws and my google fu is apparently too weak to turn up anything useful. I need IPL's, service manuals, etc., and if anyone happens to be close by, possibly some advice or assistance in getting one running. Just guessing based on looking through this thread, but Poulan two mans are either unpopular or rare?

Depends on the area where you live as to both Popularity and availability. They go hand in hand. Those that don't have them seem to desire them greatly.
:cheers:

Back