200 to spend on a saw new or used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the stihl has better a/v and the fuel caps don't swell shut most of the time lol
all the newer poulans I had besides the pp5020av where junk really.
How do you like the pp5020av? I was playing with one at the store the tag say 15.5 lbs what if it had a 16 bar on it how many lbs? That thing was heavy and poorly balanced. I never actually had a problem with any poulan pro I've had about 5. Weed eater brand is pure garbage and regular poulan is Ina between.

these can be had for about 125

Where for that price? Is that a cs310? I had whatever the current model is for a few days then returned it was nice saw and light but I found a used like new cs400 for 150 50 bucks cheaper and better all around

Where for that price? Is that a cs310? I had whatever the current model is for a few days then returned it was nice saw and light but I found a used like new cs400 for 150 50 bucks cheaper and better all around
I found this one and another one in a pawn shop,,, got them for 125 each out the door,, both was in new condition,,, I gave one to my FIL and I put one in my truck as a truck saw

I just saw a 034 at my local shop for 225 and they had an 028s for 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for $50 bucks a Poulan 2000 or equivalent would do the job. Makes a great truck saw and nice for camping too as they're small. I buy these cheap broken and fix them up quite often. Usually fuel lines and a carb cleaning gets them going. If it breaks, get another one...

I would go for something in the high 50cc range, that could handle bigger wood if you ever had the need.

I run into Stihl 029/MS290's all the time at local pawn shops. Yes, it's a "homeowner" model, but in this region that model has probably put more firewood on the ground than any other for years.. I picked up a really nice one for 150 bucks OTD, and flipped it on Ebay for 230. They will run a 20" bar comfortably. Mine ran very well with a muffler mod and an 18" bar.

There are many other oldies that aren't worth much but are decent saws.. The old Poulan/Craftsman saws (3400, etc.) don't go for much and are built very well. I have a 3400 in pretty decent shape and I think I'll have to pull hair to get 100 bucks for it..

I see a lot of decent saws just browsing pawn shops... Pick them up by the pull cord, if the saw's compression holds its weight, you've got a like-new one. If it slowly slumps down, it's a little worn but will run okay. If it slides down the cord effortlessly, set it back on the shelf, it's worn out. This isn't a set in stone test, but it'll give you an idea of the saws condition without taking anything apart or running it.

I have about 20 Stihl saws right now and a number of others as well. I have a Stihl 018C in my permanent line up as I find it very useful for cutting the tops out of branchy trees that I'm turning into firewood. Got it used about 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

My go to saw is a 024. I use it for cutting seasoned hedge up to 12 inches or so. Awesome saw. The. 024, 025, 026, 028, 029, and 034 will do what you want an then some and can be found in your price range. Pawn shops can be good places to find saws if you know what to look for, one of my 024s was 125 out the door and it's one of my favorite saws. The 028 is more abundant though and parts are easy to find.

The 170 and 180 aren't much better than a $90 Poulan and I'd steer clear of all 3 of these if occasional tree jobs are in your future. The 024. 026, 028 and 034 were and are pro level saws, regardless of age.

I don't have anywhere to find used saws besides craigslist of the ten saw dealers one carries any used saws and it will usually be just one or two over priced more then retail and beat. And one pawn shop within 100 miles too again they get 1 chainsaw every 6 months. Ms290 in my area go about 350 used. Husqvarna 350s 300 bucks. Stihl 026 250 I have about 10 dealers that all sell only new saws husky and stihl only. I wouldn't mind a 346xp. How much better of a saw is a ms250 versus a 170? Honestly at my current house I use a saw twice a year for 5 min each time and my biggest tree is 8inches around. Most of the time I start a saw its just to make sure it still runs every 6 months but once a year I'll get a job for an hour or two. I'm sure I'd be fine With a ms170 but I'd also like a ms250 but I can't really afford 350 for a new one. I've read a lot of bad about the ms170 no power crank seals go bad ignition coils go bad non adjustable carb. And I don't want to pay 280 for a ms181 or a ms180ez start. I used to be at a house with20 acres And a woodstove. Now I only cut a trunk load of firewood a year for camping and trim a few branches every few montha

My experience was far from limited with redmax/ryobi. I bought one as my first new saw out of the box wouldn't idle it was set so lean about 3 uses later maybe an hour total my killswitch stopped working so I had to use. The choke to kill it. Fast forward a few more uses my recoil starter reel stopped gripping the flywheel never found out why I ordered a new reel that didn't do it I got so pissed off at the thing I stuck it out for free in the yard. Fast forward another year won an auction seller claimed runs great never got it running had no spark at all got my 50 bucks back same thing that went out for free with the other 10532. Not only that but every time I see one for sale it's either not running or something major broke. I really wanted to like them that's why I was considering a real redmax but obviously others have had problems for red max to stop making saws. In the end I got a wood shark no problems at all ( minus those stupid cheap plastic fill caps seizing and needing vice grips to open it every time. Then I got a husqvarna 440 or 445 reconditioned for 200 a few years ago I don't remember but that was sold after a couple uses. the oiler never worked properly. I can't get a used 435 for 150 that needs a new chain if I did want one.
Haven't paid much attention to saws lately so I didn't know that Husky discontinued Red Max. I'll check that out.

I have the Ryobi cloned Red Max/ Zenoah 40cc that I bought off one of those tool trucks at the local fire hall for $99. I've thrashed that saw since I got it. Still on the original spark plug now that I think about it. The only mods I've done to it is cut slots in the adjusting screws so I can use a screw driver to set the carb. Bone stock and I can bury the 18 inch bar in 12 inch logs and it doesn't bog. May be I got a good one?

I bought a Red Max GZ400 with the recoil worn out that I fixed and resold. The saw barely had paint worn off the bar so my guess was the guy was trying to warm up the saw manually with the recoil . New starter paws and a little tweaking and the saw was purring after 3 pulls. Sold that one locally and never heard back from that guy so I guess its still cutting, Anymore freebee Red Max's let me know.

I don't have anywhere to find used saws besides craigslist of the ten saw dealers one carries any used saws and it will usually be just one or two over priced more then retail and beat. And one pawn shop within 100 miles too again they get 1 chainsaw every 6 months. Ms290 in my area go about 350 used. Husqvarna 350s 300 bucks. Stihl 026 250 I have about 10 dealers that all sell only new saws husky and stihl only. I wouldn't mind a 346xp. How much better of a saw is a ms250 versus a 170? Honestly at my current house I use a saw twice a year for 5 min each time and my biggest tree is 8inches around. Most of the time I start a saw its just to make sure it still runs every 6 months but once a year I'll get a job for an hour or two. I'm sure I'd be fine With a ms170 but I'd also like a ms250 but I can't really afford 350 for a new one. I've read a lot of bad about the ms170 no power crank seals go bad ignition coils go bad non adjustable carb. And I don't want to pay 280 for a ms181 or a ms180ez start. I used to be at a house with20 acres And a woodstove. Now I only cut a trunk load of firewood a year for camping and trim a few branches every few montha
Go on ebay and buy a 034 for $175-$200. I've seen some of them sell for that lately and then you have a PRO grade saw that parts are readily available for. I'd even take a 034 over a 026. Used prices are the same about.
And sure there are other saws with better anti-vibe, but anti vibe don't even matter when you only run it for 5 min 2 times a year.

Go on ebay and buy a 034 for $175-$200. I've seen some of them sell for that lately and then you have a PRO grade saw that parts are readily available for. I'd even take a 034 over a 026. Used prices are the same about.
And sure there are other saws with better anti-vibe, but anti vibe don't even matter when you only run it for 5 min 2 times a year.
I'm kinda scared away of any saw that has a 0 in it as I've heard stihl only carries parts for saw designs 10 years

I wouldn't be scared of the 0 saws. For instance, the 026 and 260 are the same saw so with that saw you'll have no problem getting parts. I'd say the 026, 260 and 028 will be the easiest to find parts for of those mentioned in my other post. And, of course, with the quality of these saws you're not going to need much but the typical maintenance parts. Filters and such are available from am suppliers

I've seen many newer 290s for $250 and under.

I wouldn't buy an ebay saw, but that's just me. I'd buy on here, from a reputable seller, or local.

I'm kinda scared away of any saw that has a 0 in it as I've heard stihl only carries parts for saw designs 10 years
Ha! No problem at all buying parts from the local dealer for my 40-50 year old runners (08 and three 020). Half the time, they're in stock.

The MS 180 C-B is a fine saw, but it's not worth $200. The MS 211, no C, adds considerably more guts.

Without a timer, $300 029 super can make it through a log in about the same time as $800 MS 261 C-M VW.

Back