2015 Husky 440 50lbs compression not scored

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just took in a 440 in a no start condition.....very low comp...pulled the muffler no scoring to be seen...machine marks very prominent...low hours .....looks like a stuck or broken ring to me...anyone ever have this happen to one of these before?? Don't work on little stuff very often so not up on the whole xtorq clamshell thing. Anything else can it be??

Pulled on it hard 8-10 times....50 psi best I could get.....

Ex BIL bought a 460 clammy at a sale in the same condition. Pulled it apart sure enough broken ring on the intake side.
That's what I came up with....seems the 4XX series doesn't have many fans....I've fussed with a half dozen or so but never had to get deep into the motor.....last one came in with no start situation.....drain the gas out of it.....sniff, sniff....."that ain't gas"!! they won't start worth a hoot on diesel!!!!

Most likely broken or stuck ring they are a little futsy to work on but not bad. Good little trim saws.

Yeah I think so too.....no decomp....no place for compression to go except down be the ring.......turning it over by hand there was more resistance when the magnets went by the coil than any other place in the revolution....be worth it to fix and sell but probably not worth it for the owner to hire it done...cheaper/better to can it and by new....

Just took in a 440 in a no start condition.....very low comp...pulled the muffler no scoring to be seen...machine marks very prominent...low hours .....looks like a stuck or broken ring to me...anyone ever have this happen to one of these before?? Don't work on little stuff very often so not up on the whole xtorq clamshell thing. Anything else can it be??

Yep,I did but the track on the 22 ton Hitachi fixed it...:crazy2:

So......the guy just got back to me to go ahead on the repairs...won't get to it before the weekend but will keep those interested posted as the actual problem and progress.....never dug into one of these so will be a learning experience....as they say...."The Gods hate a Coward!!!" They also say "A fool and hiz money are soon parted" Probably wished I done the Jerry fix before it's over ..but I don't have a 22ton Hitachi.....so it's wrenches for me...

So......the guy just got back to me to go ahead on the repairs...won't get to it before the weekend but will keep those interested posted as the actual problem and progress.....never dug into one of these so will be a learning experience....as they say...."The Gods hate a Coward!!!" They also say "A fool and hiz money are soon parted" Probably wished I done the Jerry fix before it's over ..but I don't have a 22ton Hitachi.....so it's wrenches for me...
The track on the Hitachi irons the problems right out, then Dan takes over n disposes of it properly when he pours concrete...:)
I did keep the new Husky case the last saw came in, it was worth 100 times more than the saw.

The track on the Hitachi irons the problems right out, then Dan takes over n disposes of it properly when he pours concrete...:)
I did keep the new Husky case the last saw came in, it was worth 100 times more than the saw.

You're harsh Jerry!!!.......Might get onto this thing today......cold, freezing rain/sleet.....good day to sit in the nice warm shop and take this thing apart.....get paid by the hour for such things......and like a lot of things you get paid to do, it isn't always pleasant.......

You're harsh Jerry!!!.......Might get onto this thing today......cold, freezing rain/sleet.....good day to sit in the nice warm shop and take this thing apart.....get paid by the hour for such things......and like a lot of things you get paid to do, it isn't always pleasant.......
Won`t be any fun but its just a machine. If you need a nice orange box to bury it in I can send you one...

Burial not necessary this time.......tore this thing down this morning......ring stuck tighter than all get out...heavy carbon situation....classic old fella running cheap oil and way to much of it!!! Easy saw to dismantle (and stihl be able to reassemnble Jerry!!).....New OEM crank seals, clamshell gaskets and piston ring coming.....all fuel line pressure/vac tested fine...saw has no hours...owner is going to receive a lecture proper fuel mixing and oil purchasing. Piston ring groove all cleaned up and piston polished ready for reassembly got 1 hour into it so far.....more to follow when parts arrive....

I've had 3 455 ranchers with stuck
Rings over the past few year's.
Low hour saw's no damage just a rering
And done.

I've had 3 455 ranchers with stuck
Rings over the past few year's.
Low hour saw's no damage just a rering
And done.

Hmmmm I wonder if it is something to do with the cool air of the X-tork cooling the piston top to the point where it condenses more moisture and carbon around the ring.....this piston had little use and is in great condition. But there was a lot of carbon build up about 1/4" below the ring and above to the crown.

Yeah I don't know the owner......kinda working third party.....he is going to get the oil lecture...even if it's second hand.....But I educated Edward to use Ultra....he'll have to pass the word on....these new little motors can't handle the old "Whatever" mix ratio like an old SXL......old habits die hard....but it seems saws die quicker!!

Latest posts

Back