2016 Iowa spring gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to attend if I can get out of soccer (still haven't heard of I'm coaching or not). Can we tent out overnight for the guys coming from out of town?

I usually build a tent:
(a) air mattress for truck bed
(b) tarp over side rails
(c) sleeping bag
Works perfectly -- at least it did a couple of years ago.

Two years ago we had some really strong winds. Blew down a few tents.

Philbert

View attachment 484710

I had a big family sized tent years ago, a sears, that could withstand some fairly decent winds. The tie downs all had integral metal coil springs. It would lean with the wind, but not blow down, went through several storms in it.

You guys may think I'm nuts, but my Ford Ranger with the side rails makes a good base for a tent. I drop the tail gate, hang a tarp over the bed, tie it down with rope, blow up an air mattress, and crawl into a sleeping bag. The side rails supply enough head room and my "tent" never blows over. Works like a charm.

Local company sells these: some guys on YouTube assembled their own. Could be crank/manual powered pump (hydraulic cylinders), or even pin-and-hole adjustment. Some people buy or make tent/side curtain kits as well.

Screen shot 2016-02-17 at 5.16.02 PM.png (Tacoma World photo)

Something I would consider if I had a pick up.

Philbert

Local company sells these: some guys on YouTube assembled their own. Could be crank/manual powered pump (hydraulic cylinders), or even pin-and-hole adjustment. Some people buy or make tent/side curtain kits as well.

View attachment 486685 (Tacoma World photo)

Something I would consider if I had a pick up.

Philbert

Too slick!

You guys want me to spend big bucks on a tent when I have a shop-made product that works? Forget it. Besides, it seldom rains in Iowa whenever the farmers want it to. Nathan will guarantee this, right?

Wood Doctor slept in one of these in Western Nebraska a few years back:

Maybe another will show up in Iowa. Is that possible?

You guys want me to spend big bucks on a tent when I have a shop-made product that works? Forget it. Besides, it seldom rains in Iowa whenever the farmers want it to. Nathan will guarantee this, right?

Wood Doctor slept in one of these in Western Nebraska a few years back:

Maybe another will show up in Iowa. Is that possible?
your truck idea is MUCHO betttttter..no rain in floor of tent from delugeeeeee..:D:D

your truck idea is MUCHO betttttter..no rain in floor of tent from delugeeeeee..:D:D
Agreed on the rain, except that the tarp roof has no pitch for runoff if the rain ever gets heavy. I'm working on that. A simple knock-down frame could rest under the tarp. I could make that in my shop if the weather forecast goes sour. Where there's a will there's a way.

Latest posts

Back