2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok used to go to that one, years ago and cotati rod, and gun club. Watching a great Glen ford movie right now the sheepman. I love westerns!! I am cutting this weekend, and next both saturdays. Next Saturday pretty much cut and clean up on one hunting ranch. The following Two big dead tan oak's we are going to help our good buddy take down. Up on top of gabes rock road in guerneville. He lives on his granma's small ranch.

It was a shame when Cotati Rod and Gun Club lost their lease. I used to go there too when I was in high school (HS bud's dad was a member). Now they have their club shoots at Circle-S. I'd like to go cutting with you fellows sometime. I don't climb, and I'm not an experience faller. I'm perfectly happy bucking, blocking, and ripping however.....:D

For sure Aaron, we alway's have wood to cut, and trees to takedown, we have to hookup for sure. I know John is itching to fall a bigun, with the 750. I want to see that old horse in action, on a big tree myself. Jesus, and John climb, and one other friend of mine. John and I do most the falling. It's cool the gang is pretty well versed.

So Hello all!!! haven't visited this thread since I posted my 2101xp W pics few last year. I haven't been able to find any other 6.0+ cu saws since then to brag about till TODAY!!!
Picked up a running complete (minus falling spikes) 2100xp for $120.00 to the door, and guess I'll start collecting these now along with my 30+ Partner smaller saws.
Seller is real nice and you can tell its a good saw and was confirmed. I'll have it in a few days. The saw is a front discharge exguast with NO chainbrake cover and full wrap without 7th mount.

Anyone know the difference in models or specs for front exguast? thin ring? Canadian? etc. Its a original west coast saw in Ca.

Duane
I'm far from really knowledgeable on 2100's outside of carrying them in the woods. I would say without the 7th mount it has to be an early model. None of the ones I've owned/own have brakes.

Yeah great group, I am real fortunate to have friends like them Aaron. And we make a well rounded team. Joe good to see ya, and I would agree with your answer on the 7th mount. I am still learning the years and small bit's on em. I am getting dialed in on the mechainic side of em more. I would like to see a pic of his, and see more details.

joe & norm- my 2100 had the rubber type 7th mount. it has the side exhaust. on the IPL i have it refers to the louvered front exhaust as a 'jungle' muffler.i don't know if it had the chain brake or not as the cover was gone when i got it.
something landed on the saw, taking out the top cover and handlebar too.
i ended up taking it down to the crank after finding a bad main bearing when i pulled the oil pump off.
got some bearings,seals and rings for it. looking forward to hearing it run soon. 'bout time.

attachment.php

bad bearing
attachment.php

a piece of the bearing left its mark-the cylinder is fine
attachment.php

dishwasher safe
attachment.php

good crank

Allyn, Ouch! bummer but glad you are getting it figured out, cant wait to see it up, and running!!:clap: I will get that handle off next pay day. Had alot of irons in the fire lately. But never forgot ya!! I take it the cylinder is good on your saw?

norm- surprisingly no damage to the cylinder. it had 160lbs compression before i tore it down, even with the old ring gap of .050".
it really needed the full treatment though, had been rode hard. great motors, i'm bonding with this one ! lol

I'll post pics when it arrives, its not far away from me so in a few days. I'm crossing my fingers hoping for a Jungle model with THIN RINGS!!! the muffler is the jungle type so??? we'll see.
Thanks all for the replys

Duane

Allyn, thanks for the info on the muffler. It would be really sweet to find a couple of NOS floating around. I picked up a jungle muffler for my 372XPW, just haven't put it on yet. One more bit of info. On my 1st 2100 the saw shop bored the venturi, and plugged the govenor in the carb. Pulled a little stronger in the cut. That one was stolen.

I am in need of a chain tensioner for my 2101xp. What all models use the same one? I tried the one on my 272 but the screw was a different size. My screw fell out somewhere. I found a screw that worked for a while but it too fell out. I want to replace the hole tensioner as an assembly. I got to try out the saw with a 28" bar, WOW this thing is a beast. It has a real cool sound to it also. Any one have any info for me? I suppose I could probably order a new one from the local husky shop but I figured I would look around here first. Thanks.

I am in need of a chain tensioner for my 2101xp. What all models use the same one? I tried the one on my 272 but the screw was a different size. My screw fell out somewhere. I found a screw that worked for a while but it too fell out. I want to replace the hole tensioner as an assembly. I got to try out the saw with a 28" bar, WOW this thing is a beast. It has a real cool sound to it also. Any one have any info for me? I suppose I could probably order a new one from the local husky shop but I figured I would look around here first. Thanks.

Here's the crankcase IPL.
Parts and Diagrams for Husqvarna 2101 (1987-04)

2101, 2100, 298, and 285 tensioner assembly should be the same IIRC.

Maybe post the parts needed in the swap meet thread as well.

joe-i'll look for that governor when i rebuild my carb.i don't see anything on the outside that is visible like the ones used on the HL's. is it inside ?
andy- in checking my chain adj. i notice it takes some torque to turn the screw in the nut, meaning a close tolerance thread, designed to keep it from rattling out. you're right in getting them as a unit. i've had luck getting small parts like these at the dealer. they either have them or not. the rest are you know where.

Joe, and Allyn I have heard of the jungle mufflers, that has a cool ring to it in itself. Anybody have a pic, love to see one. Andy I had the same thing happen, and got the whole adj- assembly at my saw shop. They had one in stock, but like said maybe here. Jon good heads up on the IPL:clap::clap:

Joe, and Allyn I have heard of the jungle mufflers, that has a cool ring to it in itself. Anybody have a pic, love to see one.
yeah, 'jungle' gives it some mystery, heart of darkness and all that.probably more like-what epa ? let's cut down the rain forest.lol
it is better for a stump cut than the side port, even though it does heat up a log while bucking. breathes better too.
here's a pic of the 'jungle' model. sorry for the dirty plans. had to resort to a photo, didn't know how to get it off the pdf.

attachment.php

joe-i'll look for that governor when i rebuild my carb.i don't see anything on the outside that is visible like the ones used on the HL's. is it inside ?
andy- in checking my chain adj. i notice it takes some torque to turn the screw in the nut, meaning a close tolerance thread, designed to keep it from rattling out. you're right in getting them as a unit. i've had luck getting small parts like these at the dealer. they either have them or not. the rest are you know where.

Yes, it's inside. I believe somebody recently posted a pic and fix on here.

I got Cali running today. Going to let the new rings wear in a bit. Making 150 now. Now i have two 6 cube saws. Yes, I started up BC and let them idle together. they seem to like that. after my lunch (at 3pm) i'm going to swap b/c's around and put a fresh loop on Cali and the short bar on BC...probably go make some dust if dark don't catchme.

Allyn, thanks good info. Seems I have seen that type of muffler before, just can't place the saw. Seen it in person somewhere. Wade you wanna borrow my headlamp? LOL! Sweet dude 12 cubes!! The only thing better than having one of the all time greatest muscle saw's, well having 2:camera::love1: Jim nice saw! I know you are a homelite lover, and they had some awesome saw!

Latest posts

Back