2152 or 280 or 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsbarro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a little help on which saw to get for my father. Originally I wanted to buy the jonsred 2152 (all with 18" and 3/8), however, the dealer only has the .325 and has to order the 3/8. So I went over to the Stihl dealership, but they were not very helpful - though I was able to narrow it down to the 280 or 260. Things I am considering are weight, as it is for my father, and the lighter the better. We will be doing about 6-10 cords of firewood a year with the saw. I have a 5100 that I love, however, the dealer is too far away, and I've already run into problems with getting parts in a timely manner, so will not go that route again. Price is somewhat of an issue, the 2152 is $429, the 280 is $470, and the 260 is $520. If someone can give me a rundown on the main differences between these (the Stihl dealer really could not, unfortuneatly), and possible reasons to choose one over the other, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

I need a little help on which saw to get for my father. Originally I wanted to buy the jonsred 2152 (all with 18" and 3/8), however, the dealer only has the .325 and has to order the 3/8. So I went over to the Stihl dealership, but they were not very helpful - though I was able to narrow it down to the 280 or 260. Things I am considering are weight, as it is for my father, and the lighter the better. We will be doing about 6-10 cords of firewood a year with the saw. I have a 5100 that I love, however, the dealer is too far away, and I've already run into problems with getting parts in a timely manner, so will not go that route again. Price is somewhat of an issue, the 2152 is $429, the 280 is $470, and the 260 is $520. If someone can give me a rundown on the main differences between these (the Stihl dealer really could not, unfortuneatly), and possible reasons to choose one over the other, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Order the 2153 in 3/8 and enjoy:clap:

how big of wood and age of gentelman

the 50 cc saws are great if you dont doubel cut alot and are light enough to use for older gentelman ..........has your dad used your saw does he like it do you cut together

I don't know much about the others, but I can tell you a few differences between the 260 and 280. The 280 has a bit more power (3.6hp) vs. 3.2hp for the 260. It about 5cc bigger. It also, however, weighs more. 11.7lbs vs 10.6lbs. The 280 antivibe (spring) is probably better than the 260's rubber. The 280 also has a new electronically controlled "intellicarb" carburetor.

The 260 is much slimmer and trimmer and seems to handle better than the 280. I have an 026 (very similar to 260) and had an MS 270, which is essentially similar to a 280 but smaller displacement. I'd much rather carry around the 026 than the other due to its handling characteristics, but that's just personal preference.

The biggest difference is that the 260 is considered a pro saw while the 280 has many pro-features, but is considered a midrange saw. The cases are both magnesium, where the 260 is vertically split and the 280 is horizontally split. The 260 is much less "plastic-y" and in my opinion is built to a higher standard. I'd say for the price difference the 260 would get my vote. They are used by all the tree service guys around here and take worse beatings than red-headed stepchildren, but last and last.

If you decide on a Stihl, have your dad handle both and see which he prefers. If he likes the 280, don't discount the 270 either. I know you mentioned price was an issue. It has a bit less power than the 280 , but when I got mine it was only $349 with a hard case. It was an excellent saw. Mine cut an awful lot of wood and then I gave it to my dad to get a bigger saw for me. There was no power difference that I could tell between my 026 (when it was stock) and the 270.

THANKS for all the replies.. First question is -- what are the big advantages of the 2153 over 52? The dealer had a 53 (also .325 though) and could only tell me it ran at a higher rpm, no other difference. He wanted $500 though, which I thought was too much of a difference ($70) for just the ups in RPM. At $500, its basically a direct comparison to the Stihl 260 in price.

Regarding the 260 and 280, I too liked the smaller size, mostly because it seems easier for my father to handle. I also like that it seemed better built over the 280. My father has used my saw and likes it, though, definitely wants to stay in that weight range of 11 lbs. He did handle all of the Stihl saws, and liked the 260. The one thing we both seriously disliked was the 290, which was very large, though had a bigger engine and more HP.. Also was $360, which we thought odd, and the salesperson couldn't really tell us why (though a visual inspection quickly revealed a different shock absorption system). I know there are alot of stihl fans on the board, but man, it seemed like the Stihl line was seriuosly out to just confuse the hell out of you and make you just spend alot of money.. 290 is bigger in HP and CC's than 280, but clunky and not as good, so its cheaper.. the 280 is bigger in HP and CC's than the 260, has some pro model features, but not all.. the 260 is small and slim, costs considerably more than the 280 and 290, but has "pro" features (that the salesperson couldn't pinpoint for me).. holy smoke! Just have your model numbers go consecutively larger, have slightly better features (not some worse, some better) with each next model, and have it cost more.. seems like that equation has worked for everyone else!

The last thing I really liked about the jonsred over stihl was that the red has a 2 year warranty vs. stihl's 1 year.

pro =faster less wieght

pro saw are lighter have more power =faster cuting but at added cost.... find the saw that he fills comfortable with

pro saw are lighter have more power =faster cuting but at added cost.... find the saw that he fills comfortable with

Well, that's just it.. The 260 "pro" has less power, both in CC's and HP at the chain than the 280, but costs $70 more. It is .3 lbs lighter. Gotta be some good reasons why its almost 20% more money and has less power, other than the fact that its about a whopping 5 ounces lighter!

Try talking to another Stihl dealer. There are dealers who actually know the product.

Good questions on your search for a saw for your Dad. I have run most of the models you have mentioned and offer a few comments. First, the Jonsered 2153 was just released this year, it is a pro saw and direct competitor with the Dolmar 5100 and Stihl 260. I purchased a fairly new and little used Stihl 260 for $150 from a pawn shop, ran it some, and gave it to my son who has a lawncare business. The 260 is a nice saw, proven design, but I would definately purchase a J 2153 over the Stihl as the Stihl 260 is outdated by comparison. You will hear the same thing about the 260 from several others here on arboristsite if you search for it. The 2153 is the Jonsered version of the Husqvarna 346 XP new edition and both have shared rave reviews from owners. The J 2152 and Husky cousin 353 share the same bottom end and pro quality as the J 2153 and Husky 346 but uses a lower cost open port top end which performs well but does not have the high rpm punch a 2153 on 346xp has. I bought a new older edition 45cc Husky 346xp and had it power ported about 3 years ago. It is a very fast, easy to handle, productive saw. It is currently my best small saw. If it were available as a Jonsered back then, I would have bought the Jonsered because I like quality equipment which is a little less common. I previously owned and operated a J 2149, which is the predescesor to the J 2152 and it is a great running, good handling saw. I gave it to my Uncle who just turned 70 and it's a great saw for him. Your Dad will likely be happy with all the saws mentioned except for the 290 as you properly diagnosed. Hope this helps.

Well Said!

Good questions on your search for a saw for your Dad. I have run most of the models you have mentioned and offer a few comments. First, the Jonsered 2153 was just released this year, it is a pro saw and direct competitor with the Dolmar 5100 and Stihl 260. I purchased a fairly new and little used Stihl 260 for $150 from a pawn shop, ran it some, and gave it to my son who has a lawncare business. The 260 is a nice saw, proven design, but I would definately purchase a J 2153 over the Stihl as the Stihl 260 is outdated by comparison. You will hear the same thing about the 260 from several others here on arboristsite if you search for it. The 2153 is the Jonsered version of the Husqvarna 346 XP new edition and both have shared rave reviews from owners. The J 2152 and Husky cousin 353 share the same bottom end and pro quality as the J 2153 and Husky 346 but uses a lower cost open port top end which performs well but does not have the high rpm punch a 2153 on 346xp has. I bought a new older edition 45cc Husky 346xp and had it power ported about 3 years ago. It is a very fast, easy to handle, productive saw. It is currently my best small saw. If it were available as a Jonsered back then, I would have bought the Jonsered because I like quality equipment which is a little less common. I previously owned and operated a J 2149, which is the predescesor to the J 2152 and it is a great running, good handling saw. I gave it to my Uncle who just turned 70 and it's a great saw for him. Your Dad will likely be happy with all the saws mentioned except for the 290 as you properly diagnosed. Hope this helps.

+1 - - Al :clap: :clap:

I'll never understand why people want to put 3/8 chain on a 50 to 55cc saw. Just ran a MS290 with a 3/8 setup, what a dog compared to my 50cc saws with 325. Get the MS260, that extra pound lighter really helps as you get more miles on your bones. Steve

I'll never understand why people want to put 3/8 chain on a 50 to 55cc saw. Just ran a MS290 with a 3/8 setup, what a dog compared to my 50cc saws with 325. Get the MS260, that extra pound lighter really helps as you get more miles on your bones. Steve

It does seem to make a big difference in this displacement and HP range. I have 026 and MS290 both with 16" .325, and the 290 will eat the 026 for breakfast.....big difference in power and weight.

The Stihl 260, Jonsered 2152, and Husqvarna 353 are pretty similar in weight, power, quality of build, and handling, but not price. The Husqvarna 346xp new edition and Jonsered 2153 both are considerably more powerful than the Stihl MS260, but to be fair, the Stihl has been around since the early to mid 90s.

My 2152 has been very reliable and has seen lots of use with no problems. I recommend it to anyone, but if the price isn't much different go with the 2153. Stay away from the 260 if the price difference is that much compared to the 2152. I can say enough about the design and reliability of the 2152, a very underrated saw.

Yup: If your willing to spend $500.00 then why not go with a Pro Grade 260? Again, power to weight ratio, plus longevity will eat the other saws lunch!!!

The MS 280 has IEM fuel managment. No need to adjust high speed. That is a huge advantage. If I had the choice thats what I would get. The ignition module controls a solenoid in place of the high speed needle. The solenoid is normally open so if it fails or the wire becomes disconnected you will not have to worry about that failing the saw.

Small Stihl, Dolmar and the huksy/jred(s) have the power to pull a 3/8", all my chains are 3/8", I can grab a 3/8" file and cut all day. If I want to put the 361's 20" 3/8 bar on the 026 and limb, or opposite, I won't have to worry about the rim or chain not fitting in the field. Just the ease of having the same chain..........for all saws.

Latest posts

Back