257 husq. chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tld400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im having problem with my saw's chain tightening up when i'm cutting. The saw is a 257 husqvarna with a 20 in. bar on it. No matter how much slack I leave in chain it still will get so tight that i cant use saw. Any help app. thanks

Sounds like you are not getting any oil to the chain. Run it out of the cut for say 20 seconds full throttle turn saw off chain should be nice and oil wet. If your chain is dry or barely wet check to see if the oil holes in the bar are plugged up with wood debris or if it is a new bar possibly paint, if the oil passages are not plugged put the bar on the studs and push the bar into the correct position to see if the oil holes line up, if they do not grind them out slightly or get a new bar, if all of this checks out ok then it is time to check one last thing that I can think of with with the side cover off crank the saw bump the throttle a couple of thimes and see if you can see any oil coming out of the oiler hole. If there is no oil coming out then either the passage is stopped up or your oil pump has stopped working.

Sounds like you are not getting any oil to the chain. Run it out of the cut for say 20 seconds full throttle turn saw off chain should be nice and oil wet. If your chain is dry or barely wet check to see if the oil holes in the bar are plugged up with wood debris or if it is a new bar possibly paint, if the oil passages are not plugged put the bar on the studs and push the bar into the correct position to see if the oil holes line up, if they do not grind them out slightly or get a new bar, if all of this checks out ok then it is time to check one last thing that I can think of with with the side cover off crank the saw bump the throttle a couple of thimes and see if you can see any oil coming out of the oiler hole. If there is no oil coming out then either the passage is stopped up or your oil pump has stopped working.

There is plenty of oil on chain. The chain can be loose and when saw is off I spin chain by hand it will tighten itself up to there is no slack at all. I have adjusted chain 20 times or more and it keeps doing it. thanks for the input

The chain is getting plenty of oil on it. I can leave chain loose and with saw off spin chain and it will tighten up to it binds. I have set chain over 20 times and still does it cant figure it out. thanks for your input

Is it the correct chain for the bar/sprocket? Is the adjuster working properly?

Sounds like you're (the chain) ramping up on the sprocket. Either the sprocket is worn or the chain was previously worn by a bad sprocket

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you have the right pitch chain for the drive and nose sprockets? Two of the most common pitches are .325 and 3/8. You could have a .325 pitch chain with a 3/8 sprockets or vice-versa... The sprocket, chain and bar nose all need to be the same pitch.

Also check the drive links for any burrs on them, did you accidentally throw the chain recently?

257"s could be purchased with either .325 or .375 pitch chain/sprockets, sounds to me like your running the wrong pitch chain for the sprocket.
my $.02

i will look into it . I just replaced the chain that was on it. But it did it with the old chain too. I noticed when i spin the chain it does ride up the sprocket and goes from loose to tight loose to tight chain. i will check everything you guys said and post back tom. thankyou for the help.

Back