262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's talk about 262xp ' s some more.

greatest 60cc saw ever made.:rock: Every time someone post that they weren't impressed with one they had, I always think, "you just haven't been around the right 262xp." Bc if you run one that is ported "CORRECTLY" they nullify the need to have a 70cc saw. (and will hand any 562xp it's ass):innocent::drinkingcoffee:

you 562xp lovers move on, this is a 262 thread.:D:lol:

greatest 60cc saw ever made.:rock: Every time someone post that they weren't impressed with one they had, I always think, "you just haven't been around the right 262xp." Bc if you run one that is ported "CORRECTLY" they nullify the need to have a 70cc saw. (and will hand any 562xp it's ass):innocent::drinkingcoffee:

you 562xp lovers move on, this is a 262 thread.:D:lol:

Well, all I can say about that is that a 1997 test report from DLG said that their dyno found 3.6 kW/4.9 hp at 9750 rpm, and the same max torque as in the 372xp (but at very low rpm, where it normally doesn't matter much). However, those stats could well be copied over copied over from a 1992 one (they renewed them every 5. year, and you never know if a it actually was a new full test on such stats, as the main scope was operator safety and user environment issues).

The above is mainly just an anecdote, it is not meant as a serious contribution to any discussion.

So why is the 262 favored more than the other huskies in the class? Lack of carb issues? Few more cc's? No autotune complexity? I've had modded 261's, 262, 2159, 357, 2260 just why is the 262 the clear top choice.

So why is the 262 favored more than the other huskies in the class? Lack of carb issues? Few more cc's? No autotune complexity? I've had modded 261's, 262, 2159, 357, 2260 just why is the 262 the clear top choice.

The 262xp simply was a stellar performer at the time for the size and weight, and it didn't really get a proper replacement before the 560xp and 562xp came out late 2011 - the original replacement was the 362xp, but that one was a not so nimble inboard clutch saw based on the 371xp. The 357xp really was a replacement for the 254xp, and simply too small in cc to be a proper replacement, and in the true world heavier than the 262xp originally was.

What made the 262xp legendary, at least partly was the lack of a proper replacement, but that situation was corrected a few years ago.

cheers guys - so in other words a 262XP is not a 'dud', like i thought? lol.....i don't know shite about saws, and just inherited this old 262XP. having trouble with getting enough oil to the chain, and thought maybe this saw was kind of a poor design or a dud.....looks like not. sorry to comment of-topic like this, but i'm guess from whats been said here this saw worth the trouble of getting this oil problem sorted out?

okay good, i'll keep digging then. saw runs nice and hasn't been used much, probably over-kill for my needs, but good to know it is a well built unit......

i have pulled that and it all looks good. pump, gear, the little plunger, the adjusting screw - all like new. seems like i getting oil out the case, but no to the chain. bar is cleaned out (and is proper bar).....wondering why the bar covers over and appears to seal off the oil tank vent hole?

The 262xp simply was a stellar performer at the time for the size and weight, and it didn't really get a proper replacement before the 560xp and 562xp came out late 2011 - the original replacement was the 362xp, but that one was a not so nimble inboard clutch saw based on the 371xp. The 357xp really was a replacement for the 254xp, and simply too small in cc to be a proper replacement, and in the true world heavier than the 262xp originally was.

What made the 262xp legendary, at least partly was the lack of a proper replacement, but that situation was corrected a few years ago.
I bought a few part saws from a local professional, he is one of the few left here in southern Norway.
He was a big fan of 262, first with 560 he felt that Husqvarna had gotten a successor. Between 262 to 560, he bought several 357, 359, 362, 372, and was basically not happy with any of them compared to 262.

Latest posts

Back