262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the same way but so far have been lucky enough to always use a 261/262 cylinder. I've never thrown the bucks at a new chain brake though - that must have been expensive! I try to be patient and wait for a parts machine to appear in Craigslist or eBay rather paying for individual assemblies.

Hey gang,

I have what is confirmed as a 262xp, but it is missing the serial # plate. I got it as part of a trade.

I am going to see what cylinder it has.

It runs dang good as is and is scratched up a little, but I am trying to decide if I should keep or sell.

What is a fair price to ask for one of these with medium-low hours with stock piston and cylinder in great shape and everything good and saw functioning well?

Hey gang,

I have what is confirmed as a 262xp, but it is missing the serial # plate. I got it as part of a trade.

It runs dang good as is and is scratched up a little, but I am trying to decide if I should keep or sell.

What is a fair price to ask for one of these with medium-low hours with stock piston and cylinder in great shape and everything good and saw functioning well?

Detailed pics are needed to determine a estimate on value. Unless you have more than one of them, I wouldnt sell it.

You said it was confirmed - based on the parts it has (top cover stickers, starter sticker, 3 shoe clutch, flat top piston)? Whenever I hear that the serial number tag is missing, I think that someone has re-purposed a 257 or 261 because it is odd that it would be missing. With pictures we would be able to narrow down its production date too.

You said it was confirmed - based on the parts it has (top cover stickers, starter sticker, 3 shoe clutch, flat top piston)? Whenever I hear that the serial number tag is missing, I think that someone has re-purposed a 257 or 261 because it is odd that it would be missing. With pictures we would be able to narrow down its production date too.

Yes Sir,

Top Cover sticker is 262xp, starter is non-matching and is a 261 sticker on it, has the 3 shoe clutch, and the little compartment for tools in the bottom of the handle which is supposed to be a feature only found on very early 262xp's.

I will try and get some pics of the cylinder base and carb if possible today or the next few days.

It was used by a homeowner who started doing a little tree cleanup service around town and it looks like it has a scratched bottom plate from riding around in the bed of the truck. This guy preferred Stihl saws apparently.... haha.

Hey gang,

These are the familiar characters I always look for:
Close HL needles are the HDA, just across states one number, eg 87, 120, 144.
Cylinder right side, KolbenSchmidt are like two dolar sign, Mahle is the second type of OEM cylinder, write down the numbers in front of those signs, it's easy to confirm the type of cylinder you have by those things.
From 90-92 should be a KS cylinder, 92-94 there was no system if it were Mahle or KS, to make it a bit more complicated there was also a batch Mahle (withouth decomp valve) there.
94 or later Mahle with decomp valve.

Yes Sir,

Top Cover sticker is 262xp, starter is non-matching and is a 261 sticker on it, has the 3 shoe clutch, and the little compartment for tools in the bottom of the handle which is supposed to be a feature only found on very early 262xp's.

I have an original 1994 262xp and it has the small compartment. I think that was the last year to have it. If you remove the sparkplug and shine a light in there, check if the top of the piston is flat. If so, it has a 262 piston because a 261 piston has a dished top. The only other significant difference is that the 261 muffler was more restricted. There should be a part number stamped into it that would tell you.

Now if it were really early, it could have a Kolbenschmidt cylinder (no decompression valve) and an HDA-87 carburetor. The HDA-87 is the holy grail of the 262 carbs so if it has either (or both) of these, the price goes up.

BTW, the sticker for the starter is still available so if this is truly a 262, you can complete the saw with a low dollar upgrade.

Close HL needles are the HDA, just across states one number, eg 87, 120, 144.

What Tor R is saying is that the model number of the Walbro HDA carb (the only carb ever used) is stamped into the carb body to the left of the High and Low adjustment needle screws and is visible if the whole top cover is removed.

The 262 I am working on now has a Mahle cylinder with no decompression yet the casting has a location for it. They just did not drill and tap it.

Ok,

I had 5 minutes today to pull the carb and try and get some pics of what I have here....

I can't tell what cylinder it is, but there is no decompression.

Looks like an HDA 120 carb

The piston and cylinder look awesome, but I don't have a compression gauge yet so I can't tell any numbers.

Are these pics sufficient or do I need to pull the flywheel?

The labeling is similar to Mahle cylinders that were used on 262, and that's what I think you have also, fit also to the HDA 120.
On the other side it should be: Mahle 48ZK or 48ZK3 or 48ZN15.
I have all those three types Mahle, 48ZK3 wasnt prepared at all for decomp valve, 93 week 6 saw.
When I study the 262 mark and comparing against them I have, I think you're going to find 48ZK3 or 48ZK.

262 is marked on the middle of the foot on those 48ZN15 that I have.

My guess is that your 262 is a 93-94 model.

If it is a Kolbenschmidt cylinder, I think their symbol may be on the exact opposite side of the cylinder - looks like a 'K' sitting on top of an 'S'. Mahle puts their name and model number on the side you took pictures of so I don't believe it is theirs. I don't recognise the symbol in the picture but it clearly says 262 in the first pic.

The carb is not the much coveted HDA-87 but is consistent with the 262 as opposed to a 261 which, on all the ones I've seen, have used the 144.
The cylinder below is a 262 Kolbenschmidt from one I am working on and you can see the KS symbol on the left. This is the clutch side of the cylinder.

P1020531.JPG

What is the earliest 262 that you guys have? I have one with serial #0070070 - so the 7th week of 1990 and the 70th saw that week. Since 1990 was the first production year, this was fairly early.

The first production year was 1989, but the first "catalog year" likely was 1990.

The lowest serial number I have seen (pictures of) starts with 926.

Nope, KS/Mahle have their sign on the same side.

Maybe it is different in Europe? I have 11 262's with the split being about 8 having Mahle cylinders and 3 having KS cylinders. All eight of my Mahle's have the "Mahle" and part number on the flywheel side. All three of my KS cylinders have the "KS" on the clutch side.

Below are the pictures of the 262 cylinders I have from my project saws. They show what I said above.

P1020531.JPG P1020532.JPG P1020533.JPG P1020534.JPG P1020535.JPG

There's also this option...

IMG_0063_1_zpsasfzqosv.jpg

I didn't run a compression check because that is one of the tools I am waiting on buying a good one.....

I think I may just pull the cylinder for posterity sake (and identification) and probably throw a new ring on the piston as well to make sure she is good and fresh!!!

Back