262xp...what bigger p/c would fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if I could to a bigger p/c on my 262xp? Maybe from like a 266, 268 or 272?

Ok, thanks guys. I love the saw. I am looking at a used 371xp. I know it would have more power but do you think it would be night and day or just port the 262?

Ok, thanks guys. I love the saw. I am looking at a used 371xp. I know it would have more power but do you think it would be night and day or just port the 262?

if you need more power than the 262, id go for a bigger saw. im no porting expert, but the 262 cylinder looks pretty aggressive in stock form.? so the porting wouldnt give you what your looking for.
keep the 262 though:rock:

I've got both. I haven't run them back to back to test them, and haven't used either for a while but I'd say the 371xp is quite a step up from the 262xp.

I love them both but as most of my wood is 18" dia or less I mostly get by with the lighter weight husky 242xpg or stihl 026 depending on what I feel like (hence haven't used the big 'uns since last winter).

ported

Randy"the Dandy",ported 2 -262's for me which I use daily at work.I was grossly underwhelmed by the lack of performance when they were stock.Rocking little units now.My guess would be close to a 70 cc.stock saw in 20"wood.That being said I have one that has 15% more power than the other.Randy has mentioned it's probably a carb difference.I would definitely stick with a 7 tooth rim with a 20"bar for good performance.

My neighbor has a 372xp and I have a 262xp. We have sawed together on ocassion, and you would need to have a stopwatch out to be able and tell the difference between the saws (my 262 has decidedly more compression than his 372 but his is much newer). I wouldn't want to have a 266 or 268 or their top end on my 262 I think I would be taking a step backwards.

Back