262xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oharatree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with one? Is it a good saw for pro use. We have a 362XP, how does one compare to the other in performance? I might grab a 262 thats available to me.

Chris

i bought a 1990 model on flebay

pulled it from box he shipped it in, with oil gas leaking everywhere ,pulled choke because he left gas in it fired on 3 pull ran good so i took to shed ,it was in shambles under all covers , took it apart ,air duct that feeds carb was gone ,this thing was dirty as any saw i have ever seen. fuel line leaking from tank, bolt hole for top cover stripped out , coil wire had hole in it, air filter had holes in it , so ,i was guessing cylinder was going to be shot, it was in great shape . bought some parts from bailys she is a runner now mind you guy posted saw in great shape ha ha ha

I've had my 262xp for a couple weeks and I love it. Light and powerful is how I would describe it. :chainsawguy:
It is truly a shame you can't still go buy this saw new.

I have not ran a 362xp but looking at the specs a 262xp is lighter and I would bet they are very close in cutting. The 362 has a large bar mount where the 262 is the small mount.

attachment.php

Last edited:
262XP is one of the few saws that lives up to its billing.

Arguably one of the best firewood saws ever made by any manufacturer. If you have the chance to grab one don't hesitate.

Take Care

Good saws, just about perfect for firewood. It weighs less than the 362 and has more power. Get a spare ignition coil soon, just to have it on hand. Watch for airleaks, these saws are getting old and tend to leak and will tear up the cylinder quickly if not maintained.
Do a search, LOTS and LOTS of information to be had about these saws!!

My saw has got to be at least 12 years old and I have done nothing to it. Besides a new bar and a few chains. It does constantly hemorrhage gas but that's it. Same spark plug that came with it.

You can't go wrong with a good running 262. I have 2 and converted a 261 and waiting for another 261 to arrive that I am also going to convert. The 261 was in good shape and I bit the bullet and put in an oem 262 piston and rings and going to do the same with the one I am waiting on. I also changed the clutches and put on 262 mufflers and modded. I might fool with the squish on the latest one thanks to the SNELLERIZER. They are plenty of saw just by opening up the muffler. I might be looking to trade one down the road with someone who has extra Stihl 361's.
Hope you get a good one, you will be pleased.

Just ported mine but still have to put it back together and do the muffler but it was a strong saw stock!
I dont think stock it would keep up with my muffler modded 036 but ist should beat it now! If not there will be more dremel time:)

I've had my 262xp for a couple weeks and I love it. Light and powerful is how I would describe it. :chainsawguy:
It is truly a shame you can't still go buy this saw new.

I have not ran a 362xp but looking at the specs a 262xp is lighter and I would bet they are very close in cutting. The 362 has a large bar mount where the 262 is the small mount.

attachment.php

Both originally had the small bar mount, only the "reintro" 362xps from a year or two (or three, time passes fast) ago have the large one, as it was on the 372xp case.

The 262xp is quite a bit lighter, and has more power - the down-sides are the outboard clutch, and "flag" chainbrake handle.

The 262xp is based on a 54cc original design, and Husky made a big mistake when they based the replacement on a 71cc design......:censored:

I like running the 262 because its light and powerful but they don't hold up as well as the 362-372 series of saw. Or I should say the logevity is there as long as you are carefull with it and don't abuse it. Some of the plastic and case parts aren't built quite as stout and the clutch is weaker in my opinion. Great saws to run if you are carefull with your equipment. If it was a rental I don't think it would hold up as well. Homeowner that want a real cutting machine would be great. Carb/choke setup on the 262 also quirky.

Had a small and weird tree job this afternoon. Just finished cutting down, limbing and bucking 20" dia Sugar Maple with the 262xp. Everytime I run it I'm amazed at how close it is in power to my 372xp.
Now, the weird part, almost got attacked by a Saint Bernard that got loose, it bit a 10 year boy and started coming at me. I picked up a 3" dia limb x 18" long and threw it tomahawk style and hit him in the head and he run off. If that hadn't worked I was going to use the 262 on his ass.

One funny story from the past is that the 262xp actually have the same low-end torque as the 372xp and 575xp - look at the DLG and KWF links on the "Reference" thread.......:givebeer:

One funny story from the past is that the 262xp actually have the same low-end torque as the 372xp and 575xp - look at the DLG and KWF links on the "Reference" thread.......:givebeer:

I don't know what that thread is and I love my 262 converted 261, but let me assure you it has no way the same low end of my 575XP.

No way, no how, unh, unh.

I will say this though, I might as well throw my large mount 20" bar away, because with the 262XP theres no need for a 20" on my 575xp.

The 262 cuts about the same, as the 575XP with a 20", but 20" is where the 262 should stop, in hardwoods anyway and the 575, is just getting started with the 20"

Old story, but you are right! :givebeer:

Specs and dyno results are just snapshots of the power curve at best, as they are presented - lots of variables still remain......

I don't know where the part come from about not holding up? I know of a few 262's that have had a lot of use and have held up fine. Rental saws get beat up no matter what they are. I think most people especially the ones I see post on this site treat their equipment with respect from the lower end to the highest.

Latest posts

Back