266SE vs 266XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is not really any difference, husqvarna simply changed from the SE designation to XP for its professional saws. Both use the same cylinder, two part ignition and early model top cover (different front holt position to the later saws). In australia at least they have the same carb. It is not uncommon to find a saw with an SE id plate but with a XP top cover. There is a chance that this was changed at some point. Both saws run the same starter cover, but XP's say 266xp with bluish tinge to the font. Change to 268 xp was where there were actual changes, including to the cylinder, move to single part ignition. These both required a change to the cases and they moved to a new muffler design. 266 saws had the old style clutch cover and metal brake flag - changed to plastic in the 268.

266se and xp are both Husqvarna classics and worth keeping and looking after - they are a strong running and robust saw that are more "raw" than modern saws but actually feel quite nice to use in practice as you "feel" what they are doing in a way that smoother spring av saws took away.

There is not really any difference, husqvarna simply changed from the SE designation to XP for its professional saws. Both use the same cylinder, two part ignition and early model top cover (different front holt position to the later saws). In australia at least they have the same carb. It is not uncommon to find a saw with an SE id plate but with a XP top cover. There is a chance that this was changed at some point. Both saws run the same starter cover, but XP's say 266xp with bluish tinge to the font. Change to 268 xp was where there were actual changes, including to the cylinder, move to single part ignition. These both required a change to the cases and they moved to a new muffler design. 266 saws had the old style clutch cover and metal brake flag - changed to plastic in the 268.

266se and xp are both Husqvarna classics and worth keeping and looking after - they are a strong running and robust saw that are more "raw" than modern saws but actually feel quite nice to use in practice as you "feel" what they are doing in a way that smoother spring av saws took away.

I'm no Husqvarna production Expert/Guru, but the later 266XP's had the Plastic Brake Flags. I don't know exactly what year mine is, the S/N's back then didn't have that incorporated yet.
I bought my 266 new from a dealer in about '91, which I believe was a year after 266 production ended, It has XP on both the recoil cover and top cover.

I will agree that the 266's are worth keeping and taking care of, my 266 gets a lot of use, and is my normal "Go To" saw for most work.

As they say in the Pet Adoption circles, My 266XP has found it's "Forever Home" , I'm NOT parting with that saw EVER.

Doug :cheers:

I have a 266 that says se on the starter and tag but xp everywhere else

Attachments

• 20180218_184254.jpg
    20180218_184254.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
I just rebuilt a 1988 268SE (tag) 8061275 with XP on the starter cover & cylinder cover. It has a metal brake flag on the magnesium clutch cover.
Looks identical to above pix, except no crown decal.
268XP.jpg
My 93 272XP has a later style brake mechanism than the rebuilt 268SE/XP shown above

Back