272 coil conversion to Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but... 996 of you you don't need them... it's not hard to tune with the factory coil...:popcorn:

If its just a mildly modded saw you really don't need an unlimited coil. I just look at everything with a racers point of view. A 7900 can easily be made to surpass its ignition, especially if you race in small wood.
Its also easy to cloud up the tuning when you start raising exh port height. Tuning the rpm to the magic number won't work anymore to get your proper jetting.

I'm looking at these coils for my Solo 681. I haven't pulled the recoil, but I assume it takes the same coil as the 7900. I'm seeing some coils on eBay last for all of the following models. 51,55,61,254,257,262,268,272 However, you'll find that there are actually two different PNs, one for the 51,55,254,257,262, and another for the 61,268, and 272. Does it really make a difference?

Squint real hard brad, that is the one you want. The other coil also works but you need a longer coil wire.
IM000102.jpg

I purchased a Husky 61 coil off eBay for my Solo 681. It's the same coil as on a 272. I swapped the metal core and bolted it on. I've got spark but can't get it to fire. Every now and then I'll get a pop and backfire of smoke through the carb. I tried it first with the key installed. I then went one, and then two key widths in both directions. Still no dice. Anyone have any advise on how to get this thing timed well enough to run so that I can get a timing light on it? I do have it marked where it was at 12K with the original coil, so I will be able to dial it in once I get it running.

I purchased a Husky 61 coil off eBay for my Solo 681. It's the same coil as on a 272. I swapped the metal core and bolted it on. I've got spark but can't get it to fire. Every now and then I'll get a pop and backfire of smoke through the carb. I tried it first with the key installed. I then went one, and then two key widths in both directions. Still no dice. Anyone have any advise on how to get this thing timed well enough to run so that I can get a timing light on it? I do have it marked where it was at 12K with the original coil, so I will be able to dial it in once I get it running.

Whe i looked at Romeos thread the timing marks were waaaay out.

This would be so easy if you hadnt fallen out with the evil site! lol

I've just been out playing with it some more. I chucked up a socket and cut off extension so that I could turn it over with a drill. No matter where I position the flywheel, the timing doesn't seem to change at all. I've moved it all of the place, and the flywheel is in the same exact position everytime I put the timing light on it. How could that be possible? I'm afraid I didn't get an OEM coil as promised from the seller. It's stamped EM Original, but no Husqvarna PN anywhere on it.

Has there been any more done on these conversions? Looking for a cheaper replacement for the factory coil. Seems like the limiter goes south and shuts the coil down.
Bob

Back