290 repair help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipthrower

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Replacing my broken case. When disassembling I made the mistake of taking the cylinder off before removing the clutch. After some very good info from a member here I found I needed to remove clutch before I took engine bolts out. While putting piston back in I broke a ring, so I assembled without rings an proceeded to remove everything from bad case. Parts came in and I reassembled motor with new ring then transferred everything over to new case along with the new parts needed.
Now for the problem, I went to give her a pull (with no plug in) nothing!!!!! Locked tight!! I took off the pull cord case and can move the flywheel backwards but only forward while piston is traveling up or down but it won't seem to make the turn at TDC or at the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I tear it down and start all over. Maybe it's something that can be fixed from here without a tear down. (Wishful thinking)
Don't really wanna send it to the closest dumpster as I am sure some will say.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sure seems like your saw flywheel is hitting on your coil. ddi u set your gap ? if not get a business card loosen off the coil stick the card inbetween the fly wheel and coil . then push them togather lighty. then tighten up the bolts again

Sitting on the bench. After I disassembled everything I parts washed everything and put new oil seals in so no chance for ring piece in pan. Thanks for the thought tho

sure seems like your saw flywheel is hitting on your coil. ddi u set your gap ? if not get a business card loosen off the coil stick the card inbetween the fly wheel then tighten up the bolts again
I used a card too set coil

u reused the crank from the saw u took the jug off or u used the one in the extra crank case?
No, I have a complete saw the got a tree dropped on it and broke the case so I found a case only and transferred from broken case to unbroken case. So I guess to answer your question crank was reused from same motor jug came off.

you sure the bearings are good and the crank is seated properly?
Bearings seemed fine. I believe they are seated properly. I set them into there slots and I believe they were set bottomed. I also thought once I bolted it down it would bottom them if they by chance were moved.?

Bearings seemed fine. I believe they are seated properly. I set them into there slots and I believe they were set bottomed. I also thought once I bolted it down it would bottom them if they by chance were moved.?

The flimsy bit of aluminum that is the pan on these won't move the bearings at all. They shouldn't have moved on the crankshaft at all.

Back