290 repair help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets remove parts step by step.
Start with the recoil. See if you can move flywheel by hand after that. See if the flywheel is rubbing against the case or if there is a bolt stuck in there. I would have bet the coil was too close. While you are there loosen that and eliminate that from the list too.

Lets remove parts step by step.
Start with the recoil. See if you can move flywheel by hand after that. See if the flywheel is rubbing against the case or if there is a bolt stuck in there. I would have bet the coil was too close. While you are there loosen that and eliminate that from the list too.
Recoil is off and flywheel spins backwards by not forward. Coil is not hitting flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully Saw Dr. Will be along soon.

Flywheel will turn 360* one way but not the other ? Wow thats a good one.
Sprocket and brake normal and functioning ?
Yes flywheel 360 backwards and it won't forward past TDC or at the bottom.
Brake is good.

Does it spin easily, more than 360 degrees backwards?? Or does it stop at the same place as forward revolution?

Pull your spark plug and see if it rotates fully without it in... maybe you dropped something into the cylinder and it's smashed into the squish band in the cylinder???

Does it spin easily, more than 360 degrees backwards?? Or does it stop at the same place as forward revolution?
Backwards you can feel it go past TDC and bottom but it does travel past those points without binding

Does your recoil operate properly while off the saw? By chance has the pull cord got outside of its housing or behind the pulley?
You can't turn the saw CCW with the flywheel... Only CW?

Does your recoil operate properly while off the saw? By chance has the pull cord got outside of its housing or behind the pulley?
You can't turn the saw CCW with the flywheel... Only CW?
Yes that is what I was hoping but upon removal pull cord functioned good.
Yes the flywheel will only spin CW

This one has me baffled!!! Since he didn't remove the piston off the rod, the crank has to be oriented in the right spot. Otherwise his flywheel would be on the clutch side. Have you tried loosening the coil to see if the flywheel will turn the other way? I have set gap before only to find out I set it in the wrong spot on the flywheel.

This one has me baffled!!! Since he didn't remove the piston off the rod, the crank has to be oriented in the right spot. Otherwise his flywheel would be on the clutch side. Have you tried loosening the coil to see if the flywheel will turn the other way? I have set gap before only to find out I set it in the wrong spot on the flywheel.
I have not tried loosening coil and trying it, do u think it would spin one way and not the other? If it were set at wrong spot?

I have set them and turned the flywheel and it will hit. I think you have to set where the magnets are on the flywheel. Can't remember!

I think we're onto something... the way that coil is, with one leg, I can imagine how the "leg" of the coil would let the flywheel spin one direction somewhat easily, but wedge when going the other direction...
You're gonna get it!

Pull the cylinder and see if the crank will spin the piston 360 without the jug. That'll rule out the top end.

Then remove the coil and try for 360.

Then remove flywheel and try for 360.

Its two screws.lets just eliminate as many options as easily as possible....this is a fun one...
So yes move the coil wayyyyy too far back, for chits and giggles.
That really makes sense, I am going to give that a try, unfortunately it will be about 30-40 minutes till I get back to the shop. I will try as soon as I get back and post my findings

Pull the cylinder and see if the crank will spin the piston 360 without the jug. That'll rule out the top end.

Then remove the coil and try for 360.

Then remove flywheel and try for 360.
That's a great idea, but we're dealing with a clamshell... not easy to yank the cylinder without disturbing a lot of things. It's GOTTA be something external.

I think we're onto something... the way that coil is, with one leg, I can imagine how the "leg" of the coil would let the flywheel spin one direction somewhat easily, but wedge when going the other direction...
You're gonna get it!
That really makes sense, I am going to give that a try, unfortunately it will be about 30-40 minutes till I get back to the shop. I will try as soon as I get back and post my findings

That's a great idea, but we're dealing with a clamshell... not easy to yank the cylinder without disturbing a lot of things. It's GOTTA be something external.
Ahhh yup good call. My bad.

Back