290 repair help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston Ring Clamp Set
Only: $9.99
In Stock

Quantity:
Shipping weight 0.05 lbs.

View More Details
I will say that that particular set of ring clamps is just about useless when dealing with the 029/039/290/310/390 series of saws. The method that I use to install the piston to the cylinder is to do the following..
1. remove crankshaft and install piston onto crank.
2. guide piston into the cylinder with proper orientation until it stops.
3. these cylinders are tapered on the intake and exhaust sides, BUT the transfer side will catch the rings
4. use a flat screwdriver to carefully press the rings into the cylinder, one side and one ring at a time...
5. apply sealer to base of cylinder and pan paying attention to the edges of the seals..
6. Install crankshaft with piston and cylinder attached.

I never have a problem with catching rings as long as you are careful and don't press too hard.

TFB

Awhile back a guy by the user name of thall something (can't quite remember, sorry) did an excellent rebuild thread for a 290. He used the black ring compressor designed for these saws. It was an excellent thread for the clamshell design saws. Hope it didn't get lost.

I think we're onto something... the way that coil is, with one leg, I can imagine how the "leg" of the coil would let the flywheel spin one direction somewhat easily, but wedge when going the other direction...
You're gonna get it!
Nope is not the problem. Plenty of room between coil and flywheel all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its two screws.lets just eliminate as many options as easily as possible....this is a fun one...
So yes move the coil wayyyyy too far back, for chits and giggles.
Nope is not the problem. Plenty of room between coil and flywheel all the way around.

From what you're describing,
The binding isn't just TDC or BDC but at both of those locations?

IF that is the case, then debris in the cylinder can be ruled out as well as a binding ring.

I would be looking at the chain brake band, crank bearings and the most likely in my opinion is that you have a piece of hardware like a nut or screw stuck magnetically to the inside of your flywheel. The flywheel is easy to get off, check for that.

From what you're describing,
The binding isn't just TDC or BDC but at both of those locations?

IF that is the case, then debris in the cylinder can be ruled out as well as a binding ring.

I would be looking at the chain brake band, crank bearings and the most likely in my opinion is that you have a piece of hardware like a nut or screw stuck magnetically to the inside of your flywheel. The flywheel is easy to get off, check for that.
Correct TDC and BDC.
My new case already had the brake handle and hardware in it so I didn't touch that.
I had the flywheel off and didn't see any debris.

Correct TDC and BDC.
My new case already had the brake handle and hardware in it so I didn't touch that.
I had the flywheel off and didn't see any debris.

Well, we're running out of options, man! Pull the brake band.

Have you re-installed the bar stud? Just thinking out loud trying to eliminate the whole thing being misaligned causing something to hit.

Well, we're running out of options, man! Pull the brake band.
Engaged the brake seems to work as it should. Can't move either way.
Looks like I may be in for another tear down. I was hoping it would be more simple than that

Have you removed the clutch and drum yet? If not, go ahead and do that to rule out anything on that side... It sounds like you are in a pickle...

Have you removed the clutch and drum yet? If not, go ahead and do that to rule out anything on that side... It sounds like you are in a pickle...
Pickle it is too say the least!! A lot of great suggestions and info here though.
Yea took that off already. Wasn't sure of the location or the spring for the oiler, but I believe the notch in the drum is where that goes

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but have you checked the keyway on your flywheel?

[q uote="gr8mac, post: 4633678, member: 3983"]I don't mean to beat a dead horse but have you checked the keyway on your flywheel?[/quote]
Yes in slot.

Is there anyway at all that the crankshaft is bent? If you dropped a tree on it, there is a chance that it's bent somehow... unlikely, but... heck, who knows?? Just thinking outside the box...

TFB

I guess, as others have said, you could remove the flywheel and the clutch. Then try rotating the crank. If it hangs, its internal.

Is there anyway at all that the crankshaft is bent? If you dropped a tree on it, there is a chance that it's bent somehow... unlikely, but... heck, who knows?? Just thinking outside the box...

TFB
I really doubt it. Motor was not really damaged (1 bent fin) bar stud was bent bar and oil tank took most of the beating. Henderson the new case being it is all 1 plastic piece

I guess, as others have said, you could remove the flywheel and the clutch. Then try rotating the crank. If it hangs, its internal.
Yea I am defiantly going to try that. Wishful thinking hoping I over looked something simple

I think doubt, assumption, and speculation need to be replaced with fact at this point. Gotta get to the bottom of this.

Latest posts

Back