3/8 .050 for everything

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i burned 170 gallons of diesel in 2009 during that ice storm we had in kentucky it took the power company 15 days to get mine back on.
im thankful for my old generator.

Ok so I'm seriously thinking about to going to 3/8 .050 chain for everything. I have a mess of random bars and chains that I can't seem to keep organized and I'm really thinking about keeping everything consistent and cutting my own loops. Seems to me that I should be able to save a little bit of money and save a few headaches trying to keep track of everything. Looking for feedback from those that have done this....drawbacks ? I mainly cut firewood...less than ten cords a year. I use a variety of saws but anything less than 50cc seems to get ignored and eventually sold. Also, I'm a bit of a brand whore....no loyalty whatsoever which is part of the problem :) Too many different types of bars to keep track of. Any advice would be appreciated. John

Just been through the same thought process myself. There are no drawbacks, only positives. It is a good decision as i am already seeing the benefits in saving money on not needing to buy so many different types of chain to suit so many different types of bars. Plus i am making a tidy profit on the side selling many surplus bars and chains that were a hassle to keep around due to weird DL counts. I finally got the courage to make a decision and make it happen. I had every length bar for every saw mount in all different gauges and DL counts. Try picking a 70 DL chain out from a 72 DL chain when you are in a hurry. Looks ok when you hold it against the 72DL bar but when you get to the job and try to fit the sucker it just is too short to get over the sprocket! :dumb2:Having all this mess made buying loops and even more so, rolls a very expensive exercise. Buying 325 in both 050 and 058 and then in both full and semi chisel...... then repeat again for 3/8" !! :dizzy:

I have a few 18" small mount husky and 20" large mount husky bars left in 050, but i will not buy any more bars and then sell the chains if they have any life left. Got a sweet deal a few months back on a heap of Tsumura and GB bars in 3/8" and they are all 058 so it made the decision easier. I am eventually going to be 325 all 050 gauge. 3/8 all 058 and 3/8 lo pro all 050.

All .058 here.

Have generator if needed.

Old but still trying too.

Wood stove works fine with no electric, as does gas cook stove.

Had homemade wood burning water heater for almost 10 years back in the 90s'.

Without getting into details, little saws like little chain and big saws like big chain. If one size worked for all saws, Stihl and others would have designed them all that way 40 years ago.

Yeah, I hear ya.....my smallest saw that I regularly use is 54cc. I just don't use anything smaller.

I'm a little worried about running a 32" bar with a .050. I like the idea of the chain running a little deeper in the oil groove but I also like consistency.

I bought about eight of those close-out gb bars from left coast yesterday, so I'm committed to it now I guess.

All of my longer bars are .063" gauge.......the shorter bars are .050"........some older bars are .058".

I feel your pain. :laugh:

Yeah, I hear ya.....my smallest saw that I regularly use is 54cc. I just don't use anything smaller.

I'm a little worried about running a 32" bar with a .050. I like the idea of the chain running a little deeper in the oil groove but I also like consistency.

I bought about eight of those close-out gb bars from left coast yesterday, so I'm committed to it now I guess.
32" .050" doesn't seem to be too bad for not getting enough oil. 36" is stretching it. I've got .063" bars in 20-50".

All .058 here.

Have generator if needed.

Old but still trying too.

Wood stove works fine with no electric, as does gas cook stove.

Had homemade wood burning water heater for almost 10 years back in the 90s'.
0.050" is what's here: I don't own any.

The first 660 I bought came with a 0.063" B&C so that's what I've got now.

I had 1- 24/25" 0.050" and 1- 32" 0.050", but those are long gone.

I'm going to rig up a wood heater in the basement for outage heat: nothing fancy, but something to keep the pipes from freezing, etc..

.058 is mostly a Husky thing, where .063 is a Stihl thing. .050 bars can be had for both.

All my Huskys came with .058 bars and I've bought a bunch of NOS speed tip bars in .058.

Back