3"8" chain on a Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In PNW wood a 20 inch 3/8 works just fine especially if your only cuttin up to 24 inches with it. Maybe if your cuttin black locusts or dried madone then it would be a bit much.

Guys actually doing production cutting with a 50cc up there??
Or just firewoodin'???

There isn't any problem running 3/8's chain on 18" b/c on a MS 261 here in the PNW in Fir; Alder and Hemlock

005-1.jpg

My MS 261 really likes 3/8's RSLHK

I still have 5 Fir trees on the ground just waiting for me tomorrow to buck up I had a 3/8's 20" b/c on my MS 261 this week cutting Alder

The .325 cuts slower than the 3/8's setup

I found a old growth Ceder log this week that will also be cut up tomorrow or Sunday morning

I have two 026s and I run .325 ad 16"bars, but I'm cutting hardwoods.
I tried 3/8 and it definitely didn't cut as fast or as smooth as the .325
the smaller pitch chain is nicer for limbing too....Not as grabby/jumpy (MHO)

So if I wanted 3/8 I would need to ask the dealer to put on a different size sprocket? Does it make sense to run full skip to keep the rpms up? Thanks also what is the c-m option. Is it available? Is it better or worse than just a regular 261?

My dad's ported 261 wears an 18" bar with 3/8 RS chain. I am going to buy a loop of the RSLHK for him to try.

261CM is an Mtronic (auto adjust) computer controlled carburator saw. They are not here, but are rumored to be here soon. The 261 you can buy today has a manually adjusted carburator with Hi, Lo and Idle screws.(Very conventional) Be warned, they are way lean on the Hi the way they are delivered. Good for the EPA, bad for you. $$$ when she siezes. Not a problem, just needs adjusted for long life not low emissions. I run 3/8, 16" no problem in dead oak. I have bigger saws for larger wood. Great saw in their realm.

I was running 3/8's on a 20" bar with my ms260 but I was not happy with it in larger trees so I put a 16" bar with 3/8's and it is a light saber in the soft trees here in the PNW. I will keep the small chains for my little Echo.

261CM is an Mtronic (auto adjust) computer controlled carburator saw. They are not here, but are rumored to be here soon. The 261 you can buy today has a manually adjusted carburator with Hi, Lo and Idle screws.(Very conventional) Be warned, they are way lean on the Hi the way they are delivered. Good for the EPA, bad for you. $$$ when she seizes.
Yeppers... called my dealer and he said NOT available yet..but "hopefully" will be in about 2 months.

(I have a really good dealer and he doesn't "BS" me..!!) he's just going by the time-frame he's given from Shihl
:cheers:
J2F

I have two 026s and I run .325 ad 16"bars, but I'm cutting hardwoods.
I tried 3/8 and it definitely didn't cut as fast or as smooth as the .325
the smaller pitch chain is nicer for limbing too....Not as grabby/jumpy (MHO)

That's the difference here in the PNW alot of softwood trees like what the OP mentioned

I also have a couple 026's and I ran a bunch of different chains at the end of last summer trying different combo's on 18" b/c .325 and 3/8's

261CM is an Mtronic (auto adjust) computer controlled carburator saw. They are not here, but are rumored to be here soon. The 261 you can buy today has a manually adjusted carburator with Hi, Lo and Idle screws.(Very conventional) Be warned, they are way lean on the Hi the way they are delivered. Good for the EPA, bad for you. $$$ when she siezes. Not a problem, just needs adjusted for long life not low emissions. I run 3/8, 16" no problem in dead oak. I have bigger saws for larger wood. Great saw in their realm.

So would you wait for the cm or get the more conventional style?

I don't know. Do you have a saw to use for the time being? If you CAN wait, I would. I would love to have the CM, and the reason I say that is because of the 441 cm that I already have. Mtronic, as Stihl calls there logic controlled tuning is just the cat's meow for me. It will compensate for fuel type, altitude, temperature and just about any variable that affects engine output. I also have a husky with what they call AutoTune, a very similar type of electronic carb. control. Both systems are just great in my book, and I like to mess with things and stay on top of the tune of my equipment. Mtronic or AT, just hands it to you on a silver platter. You will hear about some that aren't working properly, I just haven't experienced any trouble with mine.

You also mentioned skip chain. Perhaps you know they make semi-skip chain as well. Either one is usually found on big cube saws with long bars, but you may be able to get a good result with some creative matching on a 261. It is very easy to handle these lighter saws in the cut to keep them up in their power band rpm. I doubt if you would have any problem with a full comp. chain in soft wood. DW:msp_thumbup:

That's a happy problem. For me, it would depend on the repair skills of the dealer. Some are all over the new technology; some are more old school. Best of all worlds is a cm from a dealer who's specialty is understanding and repairing the new technology.

I don't know. Do you have a saw to use for the time being? If you CAN wait, I would. I would love to have the CM, and the reason I say that is because of the 441 cm that I already have. Mtronic, as Stihl calls there logic controlled tuning is just the cat's meow for me. It will compensate for fuel type, altitude, temperature and just about any variable that affects engine output. I also have a husky with what they call AutoTune, a very similar type of electronic carb. control. Both systems are just great in my book, and I like to mess with things and stay on top of the tune of my equipment. Mtronic or AT, just hands it to you on a silver platter. You will hear about some that aren't working properly, I just haven't experienced any trouble with mine.

You also mentioned skip chain. Perhaps you know they make semi-skip chain as well. Either one is usually found on big cube saws with long bars, but you may be able to get a good result with some creative matching on a 261. It is very easy to handle these lighter saws in the cut to keep them up in their power band rpm. I doubt if you would have any problem with a full comp. chain in soft wood. DW:msp_thumbup:

I can wait as I have a 440. I am actually wondering now if I should just get a different size bar. I am leaning towards getting another saw though. Everyone on here seems to be talking about "richening" (is that a word?- no dummy) up their saw. I have not done that with my 440 I am assuming i need to, but can you "richen" up the 261 cm if it is electronically controlled? What about if something does go wrong 10 years from now, how expensive will it be to fix?

Thanks

I have a practically new 18 inch stihl Rollmatic ES bar and three 3/8 RSC chains to go with it. One chain is slightly used the other two have not seen wood. PM me if interested.

This would be a great setup if you cut a mix of soft and hard wood. If you are all hardwood, go with the 16"

I run 3/8" X 16" bars on all my half dozen 50cc chainsaws.

I have a 026 with a 3/8" X 16" B&C that I just love to use for limbing.

I run 20" bars with 3/8" RSC on both my ported 026 PRO's. Birch, Elm, Russian Olive, White Oak, a few fir trees.

They pull like scalded dogs through anything I put them in. :msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back