3/8 on 59" stihl ES bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesmith

tree hugger/cutter
Reaction score
Hello all, tried searching with google several times and nothing came up.
Getting a 59" 404 Stihl ES bar in a month and converting it to 3/8. Will go on an 088.

Has anyone had trouble with the 3/8 chain binding after a few sharpenings, I saw it mentioned on a couple of other forums but not specifically using a stihl bar

Cheers

Andy

I used 3/8 .063 on a 56 cannon. Never had any binding.

I did make a chain from an old milling chain and tried to cut a stump off with it and it snapped pretty quick. I have a feeling it stretches or fatigues the ties straps. When it snapped the tie strap broke in the center. The stretching may explain why people were experiencing binding.

I'm running 404 now and it seems better. It stays sharper longer. That being said I'd switch back 3/8 if it fit my current bar. An ebay find $20 plus $20 shipping. Listed as an old loggers bar with chain. I took a chance and it was a stihl large mount.

Show us pictures ;).
I love 404 for what it's worth. Never breaks and dulls slowly.

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Never had a binding problem with 3/8 but can see how it can happen if the top plate filing angle is too low and the top plate is unevenly sharpened ie one side sharper than the other.
Is 10 top angle a good medium, Bob?

Never had a binding problem with 3/8 but can see how it can happen if the top plate filing angle is too low and the top plate is unevenly sharpened ie one side sharper than the other.
YEP , i did that then went to reading ,went back to 10 degrees top plate ,and evened up top plates length ,cut the rakers to 7 degrees and raised the log up,sloped it 10 degrees or so and enjoy milling a lot more now .

Latest posts

Back