3120XP or MS880?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question on 880s and 3120s do either of them have out board clutches? I'd imagin that they would both have inboard clutches for some reason?

I'd really like a saw that big for bragging rights and the power fix. It would have a practical purpous as well. Well small companys do big trees the the wood normally ends up getting dumped and would be good for milling. Also if i ever did any big trees the power would be great. We have some massive Beach and that s mean to saws.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
A question on 880s and 3120s do either of them have out board clutches? I'd imagin that they would both have inboard clutches for some reason?

the 3120 is outboard, while the 880 is inboard. most of the husky's have been outboard clutch's, the 372 and 385 are the only ones that come to mind as inboard.

I have a question about the 3120. I am fixing mine up and was wondering are they supposed to have a choke? Mine does not, it has a primer bulb? It also wont run on its own it only runs if I pour mix in the carb. I am thinking carb kit or fuel filter and maybe clean the line? It has been sitting for god knows how long. I think it is an 89 model It has a 300th year anniversery sticker that says 1689-1989 so I am guessing it is from 89.

kf_tree said:
the 3120 is outboard, while the 880 is inboard. most of the husky's have been outboard clutch's, the 372 and 385 are the only ones that come to mind as inboard.

880 it would have to be then. Hate outboard clutches the 365 has an inboard clutch too.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
880 it would have to be then. Hate outboard clutches the 365 has an inboard clutch too.

I was wondering why the outboard clutch, and think it might have to do with heat. Would an inboard clutch add heat to the motor?

As for the clutch side bearing problem, I can see it being from the chain tension. If you're running a six foot bar you tend to want to tighten the heck out of the chain so it doesn't derail while you hold it sideways.
If you tighten it while it's hot, then it cools...crunch.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a saw that big. Is it necessary or just a power fix?
With your feet on the ground - you might not.
But, with felling above ground and requiring > 28" guide bar the 120cc engine comes in handy for sure {re. TimberBeast}Arborcare OakSilver_6824.jpg
{Image for demonstration purposes only}

If you running them stock I wouldn't even consider a 3120. To much needing done to them to make them what they need to be. When it comes to chain tension on a 6' bar. Try run it even kinda loose and see how long it stays on there for ya. Lol

I've run them both. Seems like a 3120 likes to keep higher rpm in the cut but falls flat on its face if it's not revin out. The 880 seems to pull stronger in a cut but doesn't seem to run the rpm as the husky. I like em both but I'd choose a 661 with a skip chain before the 120cc saws.

I've run them both. Seems like a 3120 likes to keep higher rpm in the cut but falls flat on its face if it's not revin out. The 880 seems to pull stronger in a cut but doesn't seem to run the rpm as the husky. I like em both but I'd choose a 661 with a skip chain before the 120cc saws.

On 2000+ Stock for stock an 088/880 will do better then a 3120. You must not be talking a newer stock 3120 cause they be limited to 9.6k. With the 12.5k or unlimited coil stock for stock or ported a 3120 will end an 880 in rpm and torque. I've ripped oversize logs in half with 6' bars on both, I'd rather carry the 880 but with that bar length the 880 isn't better, it just sucks less lol

i pity you guys, left with only 2 options to choose from

over here 3120 are used on double power head mill but it lacks the durability like the other big saws, its got weak low end apparently. but it sync wells and a breeze to use when set right, good av. smooth saw

as usual 070 old school power house, tons of parts OEM and AM. easy to fix, user friendly minus the av part and manual oiler not ergonomicly places. slow but will get the job done, low rpm torque. everyone's favourite saw for big timber hardwood in my region

880 is good for certain length of bar then it just falls flat on its face, maybe lacks the low end power like 070 or 1201. no manual oiler, but decent saw if bar is not too long

the baddest big saw 1201, pretty high rpm with very strong torque. pulls without trouble in wide range of rpm, good av manual oiler ergonomicly placed. but parts need to be ordered from japan and seldom dealers stock parts for it. almost no AM parts. so downtime will put you out of action for a bit

my review for big saws in stock form

have you guys seen the bearing installer the guys over on the fake saw site has made ? a threaded rod a sleeve a nut works on most all saws discussed here . looks to me like 440 bucks will make a nearly bullet proof hybrid I own real Andreas 066 034 and am building a hybrid or fake 660 folks are powersporting with em .. i just want to cut some big stuff a few times 1400 is out of question Had a mahinda tractor worked great too.

Back