32 inch bar/7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilson225

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been dicussed but I found nothing. Over the weekend I was running a new oregon skip chain on a 32 inch bar with a modded 7900. I had it buried in some 30 inch ash. Ran strong but I believe my oiler was struggling. Is that pretty typical for the 7900 with that length or did I have a problem?

You just said it all. That's the story in a nutshell

It is too bad they don't have a manual overide for a little more oil when needed on longer cuts like the old McCullochs had. I just purchased a 28" Oregon Powermatch (From Bailey's) with skip tooth chain for my 7300 and I have not tried it yet. I think I will turn the oiler to the max before I attempt a cut. Here's a pic to prove it happened.:msp_smile:

View attachment 287931

Last edited:
It has always been said on here that 28" is the practical oiler limit on this series 6400, 7300, 7900, etc

Their a HELL of a saw no doubt about it...
and thats one of the reasons why i took up carrying their line of products. Ther a heck of a company imho

It has always been said on here that 28" is the practical oiler limit on this series 6400, 7300, 7900, etc

I can believe that after this weekend....so with the bar not getting enough oil what are the concerns? Will it ruin a B/C? How much does it effect the cutting?

I can believe that after this weekend....so with the bar not getting enough oil what are the concerns? Will it ruin a B/C? How much does it effect the cutting?

It can cause bar burn, premature failure of the b/c and will put more load on the engine. You need to have enough oil to run the length of b/c you are running. I have heard some members claim that they have run a 32 in b/c but the oiler is only marginal. That is one reason why I went with the 28" b/c. The other reason is that mine is only a 7300 and I wanted to make sure I was not pushing the powerhead too hard. The big bar is only for the odd monster that I need to tackle and 90% of the time it will wear a 20" b/c.

Discussing the finer points . . . Some woods need more oil than others.

Therefore a Dolmar with a 32" bar may be fine for one guy cutting a certain type wood. (Green wood is often easier than dry wood.)

But 28" is about it for all around cutting from a oiling standpoint on the 6400, 7300, 7900, &. BB though the chainsaws sometimes have more power than that.

I have two 7900's and they both came with 24" bars but I later acquired a 28" bar on a Husky that I swapped onto one of the 7900's.

I cut mostly fallen trees and they are usually dry.

Discussing the finer points . . . Some woods need more oil than others.

Therefore a Dolmar with a 32" bar may be fine for one guy cutting a certain type wood. (Green wood is often easier than dry wood.)

But 28" is about it for all around cutting from a oiling standpoint on the 6400, 7300, 7900, &. BB though the chainsaws sometimes have more power than that.

I have two 7900's and they both came with 24" bars but I later acquired a 28" bar on a Husky that I swapped onto one of the 7900's.

I cut mostly fallen trees and they are usually dry.

This is beautiful! Now I have an excuse to get that 390 I've been eyeballing

I've ran my ported 7900 with 32" bar extensively and it does fine, but it is the limit for the oiler. A few tips that really help. Obviously keep the chain sharp, rev the saw between long cuts, this really helps oil the chain. I personally do the above with any saw.

It is too bad they don't have a manual overide for a little more oil when needed on longer cuts like the old McCullochs had. I just purchased a 28" Oregon Powermatch (From Bailey's) with skip tooth chain for my 7300 and I have not tried it yet. I think I will turn the oiler to the max before I attempt a cut. Here's a pic to prove it happened.:msp_smile:

View attachment 287931

on the kitchen table, now serving ramen noodles

Back