346 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What old-cat said & use a Meteor 42mm piston. If the cylinder can't be saved, get a oem 50cc top-end from spike60 here for $200. Yes the saw is well worth spending the money on. You will also want to replace the plastic intake clamp with a metal one, replace fuel line & filter also.
I have a 346 that is about 15 years old and the piston is finally smoked. Called my local dealers and they don't have the p&c rebuild kit. Why is it so hard to find?

I have a 346 that is about 15 years old and the piston is finally smoked. Called my local dealers and they don't have the p&c rebuild kit. Why is it so hard to find?
It's just getting to be an older model. Parts are available, your dealer just doesn't have them in stock. Take the muffler off and check the piston and cylinder for scoring. Usually the aluminum transfer can be cleaned off the cylinder. So you may only need to replace the piston and ring, as well as whatever seal or rubber part that caused the air leak that scored the cyl. Meteor is a popular piston choice, available from several guys on here

It's just getting to be an older model. Parts are available, your dealer just doesn't have them in stock. Take the muffler off and check the piston and cylinder for scoring. Usually the aluminum transfer can be cleaned off the cylinder. So you may only need to replace the piston and ring, as well as whatever seal or rubber part that caused the air leak that scored the cyl. Meteor is a popular piston choice, available from several guys on here
Thanks for the advice. I think I know what went wrong. One of the bolts that holds the muffler on vibrated loose leaving the muffler to slide down on one side and partially block the exhaust port. i think I'll try the meteor piston first as you suggest. How do I know if the cylinder is good and how would I clean it if needed?

Thanks for the advice. I think I know what went wrong. One of the bolts that holds the muffler on vibrated loose leaving the muffler to slide down on one side and partially block the exhaust port. i think I'll try the meteor piston first as you suggest. How do I know if the cylinder is good and how would I clean it if needed?
#1, remove muffler and take some pics of the cylinder and piston through the exhaust port. Piston all the way up, piston half way up, and piston all the way down.

#2, do a compression test. If it's below 130ish, you need new rings at a minimum. Remove cylinder and look at it and the piston for transfer or scoring. If there's transfer, most of the time the cylinder can be saved by applying muriatic acid with a qtip. Or by sanding with a drill. There's a stickied thread by mastermind at the top of the chainsaw section. If the piston is marked up from scoring, it'll need replaced. But like I said, usually, the cylinder can be saved.

Just a heads up, we like pics. Learn how to post pics and help will be everywhere lol

Parts for the 346 are still available and easy to find. Most dealers don't stock many P&C kits, but will order them. I get parts from spike60 here.

Like huskihl said, see if the cylinder will clean up and pop a meteor piston in it.

Here are some pics. I can probably scrounge up a compression gauge but I'm not sure it's necessary because the saw no longer starts and I can wiggle the cylinder back and forth with a screwdriver so I know it's pretty much smoked.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    859.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    792.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg