346xp best sprocket/chain combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with the 3/8th in pine. 2nd cut (1st vid)is slow due to limb knots. I broke out on my first try w/ these cuts trying to take thin cookies. I'll post that vid second.

.325 in pine.

Personal observation, no surprise the .325 cuts much smoother but not as fast. I didn't stop watch these yet.

.325 in small wood.

3/8th in small wood.

I know the variables, I'm just trying to help the OP out with his original question, and having a little fun in doing so. Sorry I didn't have an 8 pin laying around to really get the answer you wanted.
My 346 wears a 16" 3/8th 7 pin and if I am cutting anything large, I use the 357-394.

So can anyone help me understand the nuanced differences.

.325" : narrower kerf, less likely to catch on wood especially when limbing, cuts smoother, less taxing on engine, can step up to 8-pin rim for smaller branch limbing...dulls faster, more teeth to sharpen

3/8" : wider kerf, bigger chips, can cut faster if saw has the power to pull it but 50cc is borderline powerful enough, should probably only be used on a ported 50cc saw, can be more "grabby", fewer cutters to sharpen, dulls less quickly.

Anything else?

Therin lies the rub, and the truth.

3/8 is a wider kerf, and more resistance at the tooth, for a slightly deeper depth of cut per tooth....just fewer cutters per revolution, and less mechanical advantage/Torque, due to larger Rim.

.325 cut's as much per revolution, due to more cutters, slightly slower chain speed due to increased torque/mechanical advantage.

It literally is a wash, when it comes to "Potential".

The trade off comes, with a ported saw that can pull the 3/8 and still be forgiving enough, to cover human inputs that actually determine chain speed in the cut.

By the numbers, the 3/8=7 should be a LOT faster, due to the liarger dia. Rim and increased chain speed.
In reality, when the variables outside of the Theoretical vaccum are present, the .325-7 is less work and easier to stay on the bubble with.

There is only so much a good porting job, will turn loose on a 50cc saw.

Toss in the chain grabbing/derailing Tendency of 3/8, when dealing with a nasty old Elm(And clearing the whips around it, when it's down), and nobody sane really wants to deal with the headache, for a .0087 sec. faster time on a cookie. I don't.

A guy can get a little aggressive(Progressive?) with the Rakers, on .325-7 with a strong ported 346, and give up nothing on 3/8...except filing an extra couple of teeth, and not cussing a derailed chain.

My original reason for trying 3/8?
Semi-chisel chain worth a crap, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Literally.
Oregon doesn't offer anything anymore, worth paying money for, and Stihl thinks their stuff is gold plated.
In the end, I'm back to .325 Carlton. I don't think a 50cc saw can get any snottier, and still be reliable, than what I was lucky enough to be gifted with.

You guys attacking Popple, Birch, and pine, might have a different perspective, but limb out just ONE old windrow Elm...and a little slower means a LOT faster!;)

MgoBlue, ya shoulda made the GTG at the Genius Hog Ranch.:buttkick:
And yes...Oregon is gonna get splattered come Saturday.:rock::rock::rock:

Back