346xp Husqvarna new edition or 346xp old edition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabberx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to purchase a new 50cc Husky but which one old edition or new? I have read alot of information on both here on the forum. I think I want the old model. A little confused to which to try to get. Please let me know. I want to get one next week. One other problem my cousin sells Dolmars, says the 5100s is the way to go. He has sold more 5100's than any other model in his store. I am not sold on his idea yet because I have two other Huskys 338xp and 385xp but maybe I would give one a try to keep him happy. Just maybe.

Thanks alot
Rick

I have an old edition 346XP and I've run the twin sister 2153 (NE346 in red). In my opinion not a great deal of difference.
Haven't had the chance to run a 5100 so hard for me to comment there.
If possible run all three and make your choice from that. Yesterday I got to run the OE 346XP that I sold my father in law and it pulled very nicely in some 18" cherry. Only saw I had available so was kinda nice to use it in some bigger wood than normal...usually I'd have grabbed a larger saw.
Dealer support would probably help me sway what saw.

i would go with your cousins idea, its parts galore if you need them! the new 346's have a silver chain cover and will say 50cc on the label somewhere too i think.

hth, david.

Last edited:
We have both the NE346xp and the 5100S; and both are top performers.

The Husky just handles better in the woods, as it is more nimble and a tad lighter, and is worth the extra money imo.

The old 45cc 346xp is more of a specialized limbing saw, with less power and torque, but it is even lighter than the new one.

Last edited:

Try this on for size...

attachment.php

I got the New edition 346xp 50cc just a little while back , I didn't think the older 45cc was still avail. and I wanted the bigger engine anyway , MORE POWER !! The thing to look out for is weather its the eco-tech or not , it has the catalytic muffler and you will want to buy the regular muffler and replace it and thats about 40.00 bucks ,the eco tech will have the green gas cap and from what Iv'e seen will say eco tec on the recoil housing . Maybe you could call around and see if there's a dealer with a non eco-tec in stock , if you have them order it , it could come in either way .

Back