346xp OE handle 24" with skip chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been running my 346 a good bit with a 20" bar with 95VP and NK20. I'd like to find narrow kerf skip and a 24" bar, but I'm not sure either exists and it may be prone to breaking or de-railing. 24" skip should be easier on the saw than 20" full, but if I size up to standard .325 or 3/8" skip, it might be a bit much.

Does anyone have experience with the 346xp OE running a 24" bar with any kind of skip chain? If so, what kind of bar, chain, and sprocket is needed.

Here is one with a 28" bar.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not exact, but skip reduces load to around 75% of full comp. A 24" skip would be approximately the same as 18 full comp, if cutter type is unchanged.

According to SawTroll, a 346 should be able to pull a 10 footer. (Just kidding Niko, you Stihl hater').

I'm sure it could be done, but would question whether the 346 can put out enough oil on a 24" bar. I'm not one of the 346 nuts on the site, perhaps that saw can pump out more than enough oil, but that would be my first concern.

Good thought on the oiler, hadn't thought much about that. with the 20" it spits a good bit on the wood, but I'd want to keep an eye on it. good caution.

I run semi-skip on a 24", 346NE. All day work saw. Mostly cutting 18" dbh Juniper. It would bury the bar, just don't want to do it too much, plus not efficient for work. Exact same oiler as the 357/359, it is the clutch that is the week point. Ported of course. I like it just fine.

Last edited:
3/8. I entertained .325 but glad I went with 3/8. You'd have to swap a tip to get .325 by 24". GB does have a bar in that config. but would be easier to swap than find/wait for that. Stihl and Oregon Semi-skip are square grind, I take it to round (dirty wood here). Full skip might not be very pleasant with that saw and a limbing/smaller wood scenario. I don't/won't use it.

Last edited:
Here is one with a 28" bar.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow, it did it, but that's pretty tough on that small saw! Fun to watch, though. What kind of chain were you using?

Wow, it did it, but that's pretty tough on that small saw! Fun to watch, though. What kind of chain were you using?

Yeah, get a bigger saw for that though. In my work, I'm very happy with the performance. I might cut two or three 28" trees in a day, the rest 20" and less. Lot's of carrying and handling, so the light and nimble makes me happy.

edit> knew that weren't you. that's floated around here awhile.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah it did it but I thought for sure the dude was going to have to stop for a refueling before it was over,lol Why did'nt he just borrow his budys saw, he could have had that fir on its side and half limbed in the same amount of time.:cheers:

LOL, yeah it did it but I thought for sure the dude was going to have to stop for a refueling before it was over,lol Why did'nt he just borrow his budys saw, he could have had that fir on its side and half limbed in the same amount of time.:cheers:

Listen to what he says and read the description. He said he just wanted to try it.

He probably just wanted to prove it could be done. It's a moot point though, unless that's the only saw he had. I would have been more impressed had he dumped it with a 16" bar in 3 minutes. lol
John

Latest posts

Back