353 e-tech ne346 top end?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymacher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a 353 and putting a ne 346 top end on it, from what I've read here it's a direct swap, but the husky web site lists the 353 as a 1.26" stroke and the 346 as a 1.28" stroke.
is that a mis print or does the 346 case set the cyl higher? or is the 353 e-tech a different animal?

thanks, I figured as much. but just wanted to make for sure.
also are any of the aftermarket cylinders any good or just stick with oem?

thanks, I figured as much. but just wanted to make for sure.
also are any of the aftermarket cylinders any good or just stick with oem?

If you're putting a 346 topend on it, you might as well go with the bigger 50cc NE346 topend. You can put a 357XP carb on it too, which is another bolt on replacement. As Nmurph about the AM topends.

If you're putting a 346 topend on it, you might as well go with the bigger 50cc NE346 topend. You can put a 357XP carb on it too, which is another bolt on replacement. As Nmurph about the AM topends.

Brad- How much of a gain/plus is there from using the 357xp carb on a non-ported 346xpne? I've been thinking about picking one up and would like to hear some real world opinions.

357XP Carb

I picked up a Zama replacement for a defective Walbro for my 357XP, and was advised to do the same with my 346XP at that time. I can't say how it will run on the 346XP, but it did wonders for my 357XP... $50 on ebay.... about half what you pay at the saw shop...

I picked up a Zama replacement for a defective Walbro for my 357XP, and was advised to do the same with my 346XP at that time. I can't say how it will run on the 346XP, but it did wonders for my 357XP... $50 on ebay.... about half what you pay at the saw shop...

The 359/357 had the known 'bad Walbro carb', But not the 346xp.

I did put the same 357 Zama carb on my ported OE 346 and it runs fine, very fine. But on a stock saw I don't think there'd be any gains. Ported would be a different story though.

Back