353 Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huskyboy1978

huskyboy1978

ArboristSite Member
Hello All,

I'm new to AS and have been bitten by the chainsaw bug. I purchased a Husky 353 several months ago for firewood and ditched the cat muffler after my first use. The saw has about 20 tanks thru it now and has started to wake-up (I was worried the first day I had it out with the cat muffler on it - it was a dog to say the least - swapping the muffler and richening up the carb made all the difference in the world).
Now I want to see if I can get a little more out of it with a muffler mod. I have done the research and have decided to do a thru the bracket exhaust hole with screen. My question is what is the best hole(s) size to use. I have read from different spots anywhere from one 1/2" to two 1/2" on this saw.
What size are you using and how's it working?

Earl

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
A single 1/2" hole is a good mod, and the saw will not be obscenely loud.

If you want to do two holes I would do two 3/8" holes, the saw is only 53cc. For a bigger saw like a 70cc saw you can try 1/2" holes. It all depends on how loud you want the saw to be

huskyboy1978

huskyboy1978

ArboristSite Member
Thanks, that's the kind of advise I was looking for - I didn't want to overdue it and two 1/2" holes seemed a bit much.
I'll go with one 1/2" with screen installed and richen it up a bit afterward. I will probably do it this weekend and it a test Sunday. Will the gain be easily noticable (and I'm not talking about the noise gain:))?

Tazman1602

Tazman1602

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks, that's the kind of advise I was looking for - I didn't want to overdue it and two 1/2" holes seemed a bit much.
I'll go with one 1/2" with screen installed and richen it up a bit afterward. I will probably do it this weekend and it a test Sunday. Will the gain be easily noticable (and I'm not talking about the noise gain:))?

Hey I'm getting ready to do this on my 353 -- got any pics or reviews of how you went about this? How did it run afterwards?

Thanks

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
A single 1/2" hole is a good mod, and the saw will not be obscenely loud.

If you want to do two holes I would do two 3/8" holes, the saw is only 53cc. For a bigger saw like a 70cc saw you can try 1/2" holes. It all depends on how loud you want the saw to be

51.7cc.....:)

I am considering it myself, as it looses bigtime to the NE346xp and 5100 as it is - the alternative is to keep it as is, as a loaner.

I have too many good memories with the saw, to let it go......

Last edited:
Tazman1602

Tazman1602

ArboristSite Operative

I am considering it myself, as it looses bigtime to the NE346xp and 5100 as it is - the alternative is to keep it as is, as a loaner.

Hey ST --

Just got done with doing this for my 353 -- haven't put it on the saw yet as I'm gonna high temp powder coat it. I bought the non-cat muffler from Baileys, figured out what I wanted to do and then went to work.

I took an old barrel I had cut off -- used to build rifles back in the day from an old 6.5mm Swedish Mauser. Chucked it in my lathe, bored a 7/16" hole in it, and turned it down to .500.

I then proceeded to get out the MIG and burn holes all over hell. That muffler metal is THIN! I went back to mild steel rod/flux and torch welded it. That worked OK but was still a pain. Rifle barrel too thick, muffler metal too thin. My bust but it came out OK.

Waiting to get all my firewood done before I try to screw up a perfectly good saw.....................[GRIN]

Just waiting for wifey to go to work so I can spray with high-temp black and then bake in her oven at 450 degrees for an hour while she's gone.......

Tazman1602

Tazman1602

ArboristSite Operative
Why such a long pipe?

Only two inches................and it looks really cool! Yeah I know. I'm really 18 but am stuck in a 50 year old body..................

Long pipe will help with backpressure. I can always go bigger if I need to or cut off some pipe whichever works.

Through the bracket screen mod would have been MUCH easier..........

Tazman1602

Tazman1602

ArboristSite Operative
Sure, but some say it will burn the wood........

I really don't know how much truth is in that though - my guess is that is really is a non-issue in most cases.

Yeah, I just posted to you. VERY dry up here and the LAST thing I want to do is set the woods on fire. That was one of my design parameters........

sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite

Pay shipping each way to me and let me have it for a couple months then see what you have to say!!!
I'd like to play with one anyway, I have an idea what that saw can be made to run like and I'd like to see it:cheers:

huskyboy1978

huskyboy1978

ArboristSite Member
Reporting Back Finally

Well I complete the muffler mod to my 353 a while ago. I went with a simple 1/2" hole thru the muffler bracket and used the screen from my old CAT muffler in between the bracket and muffler. I adjusted the carb afterwards.

Results: A definite increase in power. Very noticeable gain in torque while buried in 12 - 16" hardwood.

Tazman1602

Tazman1602

ArboristSite Operative
Why such a long pipe?

Been a while but I guess they don't call it research and developement because I know what I'm doing. Just going back over this post and wanted to let you know I did end up trimming a bit off of that pipe and re-adjusting carb.

...........It was running fine but that pipe DID run into the wood at times. Trimmed it back and got all the power I had and now it clears everything.

Art