357XP vs MS361 vs Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really want a pro grade saw, the Stihl MS260 would handle your work just fine.

You certainly do not need an MS361 for smallish wood.

If you want a less expensive option the MS270 or MS280 are great saws. I have had my 270 for 3+ years now, dropped banged clunked in the wood pile. I have one plastic bar broken.

It run in the worst possible weather conditions (-25 or lower) and thats the only damage.

I asked about this to help me decide. LOL You guys aren't helping!

So far I can't see a clear winner. I agree that for what I need to do with it, I could go down a step in power. 50cc would probably be fine. A Dolmar 5100 would probably be fine. But, I don't want to have that feeling again wishing i had a bit more power.... I want a pro quality saw for dependibility and durability. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap and keep spending money.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to wait until I can go to the big city and handle all thse and hopefully that will help me decide.

A Dolmar 5100 would probably be fine. But, I don't want to have that feeling again wishing i had a bit more power.... I want a pro quality saw for dependibility and durability. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap and keep spending money.

I believe the 5100 has the most power of the three 50cc class, 260, 346 and 5100. It is a pro quality saw also, have fun deciding:cheers:

I asked about this to help me decide. LOL You guys aren't helping!

So far I can't see a clear winner. I agree that for what I need to do with it, I could go down a step in power. 50cc would probably be fine. A Dolmar 5100 would probably be fine. But, I don't want to have that feeling again wishing i had a bit more power.... I want a pro quality saw for dependibility and durability. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap and keep spending money.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to wait until I can go to the big city and handle all thse and hopefully that will help me decide.

As long as you have a sharp chain you'll never have enough power!:hmm3grin2orange:

MS361 will be everything you need for a long time. At least 1 month and then you will be in the market for a 441 and that will last even longer, at least 2 months before the 260 is calling out to you for the small stuff......:greenchainsaw:

Personally I would go with the Stihl but that is just me.

You cannot find a clear winner because there is none! Your problem is that you have to figure out where you can get the parts the easiest. A Solo might even be a consideration because I believe you can get the parts mailorder. All those saws are good saws, BUT they will all need some service at some point and you have to be able to get parts.

MS361 will be everything you need for a long time. At least 1 month and then you will be in the market for a 441 and that will last even longer, at least 2 months before the 260 is calling out to you for the small stuff......:greenchainsaw:

Personally I would go with the Stihl but that is just me.

Actually that is not too far from the road I took. Had the 290 & 250, got a 361. Then got an 044, got another 361, and I am stihl in want of a 260. Some other saws popped in and out of there as well.

Actually that is not too far from the road I took. Had the 290 & 250, got a 361. Then got an 044, got another 361, and I am stihl in want of a 260. Some other saws popped in and out of there as well.

Me being kind of partial to jonsered, I was thinking 2156 for a one saw plan. Or a good two saw plan might be a 2156/2186 combo. 2156 wearing an 18" bar will easily cut 20-24" trees and the 2186 with a 28" bar for the bigger stuff.

For this reason I recomend something like the 2156/2159/361 as a starter saw or back-up saw because it still has the power to cut larger trees if need be. And is light enough to use as a limber or for all day running.:)

I like my 361, but my 260 starts twice as easy and cuts like a champ on smaller wood. It wears a 16-inch b/c and is plenty of saw for that size wood. :chainsaw:

Prices

Canadian Prices:
361 $680 4.6hp 12.6#
346xp (45cc) $805
357xp $839.90 4.4hp 12.1#
5100S $457.00 3.9hp 11.2#
PS6400 $593.00 4.8hp 13.6#

Still can't decide.

Honest question: why is Husky so expensive? Is there a reason for the extra cost?

Canadian Prices:
361 $680 4.6hp 12.6#
346xp (45cc) $805
357xp $839.90 4.4hp 12.1#
5100S $457.00 3.9hp 11.2#
PS6400 $593.00 4.8hp 13.6#

Still can't decide.

Honest question: why is Husky so expensive? Is there a reason for the extra cost?

The husky is expensive because it is the dominant saw:monkey:
But seriously like I said before I paid $650 Canadian this year for mine so the price should be negotiable. Shop around, I went to the husky dealer for a price before I went to my jred dealer. The huskies were on promotion and my dealer told me he could beat their price.
Good luck:)

I'm gona get garbage for my opinion on this one! We have four Husqvarna XP357's at work...two have blown up due to lean carberation,(Rebuild by dealer) and the other two are...not very impressive to me. Partly because of the lean running and partly because of the less than stellar chains used where I work...they are used for road side tree crews...I'd rather run my 455 with its good chain and crisp running "home owners" class plastic motor! Sorry Husqvarna fans!

Impressions? Hard to start. Lean as hell. No over whelming power difference than my cheapo 455!

I would go with Dolmar based on those prices 5100s is a real power house
for it size I have 18" bar on mine with oregon lpx chain. If you want more
power than go for the 6400 or why not both.

My 5100-S absolutely plays with an 17-18" bar with 3/8" chain. I'm going to order a 20" bar for this saw very soon and have no doubt it will run it fine in tough old dead Aussie Hardwood, with semi chisel. After seeing the above prices I'd say its a no brainer for the Dolmar. Having a dealer nearby is certainly preferable but at that price difference I'd take a punt.
I imported my 7900 last year from the US and blew a gasket while still under US warranty. My local Husky dealer fixed it and even though I had to pay him to fix it I still came out AUD$500 ahead than if I'd have bought the saw in Australia to start with. However there has been a hard push on Dolmar in Australia recently and some unbelieveable pricing - they are not worth importing anymore.
Go the 5100-S, excellent little saw despite copping a bad rap from some of the anti-Dolmar brigade. Also has an inboard clutch so changing bar/chain is easier - I hate outboard clutches!

I'm gona get garbage for my opinion on this one! We have four Husqvarna XP357's at work...two have blown up due to lean carberation,(Rebuild by dealer) and the other two are...not very impressive to me. Partly because of the lean running and partly because of the less than stellar chains used where I work...they are used for road side tree crews...I'd rather run my 455 with its good chain and crisp running "home owners" class plastic motor! Sorry Husqvarna fans!

Impressions? Hard to start. Lean as hell. No over whelming power difference than my cheapo 455!

A small screwdriver + a tiny pair of clippers = lean condition resolved

Toss-up between the 357 and 361. They're both great saws, flip a coin.

As to the 5100...it will not hang with either of the above, and all the ranting in the world from the Dolmar gang won't change that fact.

Lots of Dollies have been grenading lately, too. If you don't have a dealer near you, you prolly do not want a Dolly.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary. (But it won't.)

The reason I'm still asking questions is that I think the Husky is either overpriced or the Dolmar is too cheap (and maybe there is a reason it costs less). I'm really searching around for why the Husky costs more. If its just name that's fine, but I suspect there is just a bit more to it then that. Stihl 361 is in the middle price wise.

I am trying to get a dealer to budge on a 357 right now. It is a huge volume Husky dealer with a well respected small engine shop behind it, but it's a 7 hour drive away. But, its a city I visit 5 or six times a year because I have family there. The Stihl dealer is just the local John Deere dealership. They don't know anything about fixing saws. The Dolmar dealer is the same big city Husky dealer. They'd be great for service on either brand except that I'm 7 hours away.

wait and see what they do on 357 price.

Still looking for more opinions. Keep em coming

Toss-up between the 357 and 361. They're both great saws, flip a coin.

As to the 5100...it will not hang with either of the above, and all the ranting in the world from the Dolmar gang won't change that fact.

Lots of Dollies have been grenading lately, too. If you don't have a dealer near you, you prolly do not want a Dolly.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary. (But it won't.)

5100:buttkick:

Pit Bulls are powerful in small packages...

I'm looking at stepping up to a professional quality midsized saw. I'm looking at 20" bar running safety chain in smallish elm and maple. Right now I own a Stihl MS170 and I'm not super impressed with all the plastic on it. I've borrowed lots of neighbors 50-60cc cheap junk saws that suck too.

So, Husky 357XP, Stihl 361 or what model Dolmar and WHY? Can you folks help me break down the reasoning for choosing one over the other? I live in the middle of no where so there is no dealer close by for any of these. I've only ever handled entry level saws and I need to know what features to compare on a pro saw. What does the extra money get me and how are these models and brands different in quality, durability, parts availablity etc. I have compared power and weight specs and I think any would work ok, but I need to know some details about these to help narrow things down.

Thanks,
Jeff
Saskathewan, Canada

Buy the 361- no problems

Back