357XP: Where Does It Fit In Between The 346XP and 385XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will be delighted with that saw.

Now i'm changing my mind again, after doing some archive studying. :dizzy:

I forgot I had the Efco 132S-12, bought it on a radio auction this summer. Like a couple others I have, i've also been yet to use it. Was going to use it and the new Troy Bilt trimmer/pole saw this week to start trimming the tree lines on the fields, but the weather wasn't cooperating. I've ran it before, love the way it starts, runs, and handles. And i've got the 490 for anything that it won't handle. I think they're all the "trimming" saws I need.

Therein lies the ultimate question, is the additional power of the 357 enough to help when falling and bucking up trees that are 16" and under (as I would use the 385 for anything 18" and over)? And is 2 lbs of extra weight going to be a factor, for the extra power and functionality you get with the 357. I've convinced myself that I need a new saw, maybe I should just try to convince myself of something....... :cry: Too bad Husky doesn't have any quality dealers around here. Everyone limits themself to homeowner saws, for the price factor I suppose. I think I should get the 357, and look for a used 346 down the road if I want to replace the 490.

Now i'm changing my mind again, after doing some archive studying. :dizzy:

I forgot I had the Efco 132S-12, bought it on a radio auction this summer. Like a couple others I have, i've also been yet to use it. Was going to use it and the new Troy Bilt trimmer/pole saw this week to start trimming the tree lines on the fields, but the weather wasn't cooperating. I've ran it before, love the way it starts, runs, and handles. And i've got the 490 for anything that it won't handle. I think they're all the "trimming" saws I need.

Therein lies the ultimate question, is the additional power of the 357 enough to help when falling and bucking up trees that are 16" and under (as I would use the 385 for anything 18" and over)? And is 2 lbs of extra weight going to be a factor, for the extra power and functionality you get with the 357. I've convinced myself that I need a new saw, maybe I should just try to convince myself of something....... :cry: Too bad Husky doesn't have any quality dealers around here. Everyone limits themself to homeowner saws, for the price factor I suppose. I think I should get the 357, and look for a used 346 down the road if I want to replace the 490.

The 357xp will buck and fell all day long probably one of there better all purpose saws. I think you would really like it. If you lived closer i would let you demo one. Under my strict supervision of course.

1) This stated chainspeed is with .325 and 7 pin for both saws. .....

If so, it is an obvios misprint!

The max power rpm is the same for both saws, so the theoretical chainspeed that the specs are about will be the same, with the same sprocket. From the specs of other Huskys, it is pretty obvious that the 357xp number is with 3/8"x7 - .325x8 will mean a slightly higher number, as the rim diameter is slightly larger.

Anyway, those numbers are totally uninteresting, as they leave most of the factors that influence the true speed out, and you sure know that. :)

Last edited:

2) Yes I have heard about the difference in stated and actual weight. But wasn't it because the first 357's (with the auto decomp as well) had weaker cranks and they are a bit beefier in the newer ones? Not because Husqvarna wanted to cheat with the specs. Or is there a difference in stated and actual weight between other of the Husqvarnas? To me the 346 and 357 feel very much alike when holding them.

Most 300-series Huskys weight a tad more than the specs say, except for the 346xp. The 575xp actually is a tad lighter than the specs tell you.

Some other brands are worse offenders in that regard, but I won't name them in this thread.
Stihl used to be honest about their pro saws, but that ended when the 441 was introduced......

The 357xp/359/2156/2159 weight is the worst exemple in the Husky line-up, and at least partly has to do with the reinforced case - but that happened at a very early stage, long before they discontinued the auto decomp - and should have been reflected in the specs......:givebeer:

Last edited:
2) The true weight of the 357xp powerhead is more like 12.9 lbs, the "official" spec is a big lie.

Troll, you mention the advertised weight is deflated, and it's actually 13lbs. Husqvarna lists the 365 at 13lbs as well. Does that sound correct, are they the same weight?

If so, it is an obvios misprint!

The max power rpm is the same for both saws, so the theoretical chainspeed that the specs are about will be the same, with the same sprocket. From the specs of other Huskys, it is pretty obvious that the 357xp number is with 3/8"x7 - .325x8 will mean a slightly higher number, as the rim diameter is slightly larger.

Anyway, those numbers are totally uninteresting, as they leave most of the factors that influence the true speed out, and you sure know that. :)

It could very well be a misprint. I think the saw is sold as standard with 3/8 in the US and the Scandinavian sites gives the choice of 3/8 or .325 and here all the shops have them with .325 as standard. So misprint or just plain old confusion:dizzy: I don't know. But looking at it you must be right about the 357 with 3/8 and the 346 with .325 with the stated chainspeed at max power rpm (9600).

As to the cutting speed that is absolutely true - just the chain alone could make the difference in the speed. But trying out the saws the power difference is noticeable.

BTW the 346xp is a bit higher priced than the 357xp here - don't know if that could be a sign of the 357xp becoming obsolete. ..

The 357xp will buck and fell all day long probably one of there better all purpose saws. I think you would really like it. If you lived closer i would let you demo one. Under my strict supervision of course.

Sure it will in the right wood, and sure it will be faster than the 346xp, with a suitable cutting attachment/rim.

It could very well be a misprint. I think the saw is sold as standard with 3/8 in the US and the Scandinavian sites gives the choice of 3/8 or .325 and here all the shops have them with .325 as standard. So misprint or just plain old confusion:dizzy: I don't know. But looking at it you must be right about the 357 with 3/8 and the 346 with .325 with the stated chainspeed at max power rpm (9600).

As to the cutting speed that is absolutely true - just the chain alone could make the difference in the speed. But trying out the saws the power difference is noticeable.

BTW the 346xp is a bit higher priced than the 357xp here - don't know if that could be a sign of the 357xp becoming obsolete. ..

Right - my memory have started warming up, and I actually spotted that misprint/mistake a long time ago.

You are right about the 357xp becoming obsolete, they have been working on the replacement for some time..... :cheers:

Troll, you mention the advertised weight is deflated, and it's actually 13lbs. Husqvarna lists the 365 at 13lbs as well. Does that sound correct, are they the same weight?

As stated before I have both the 2165 (365) and 2156 (357). I feel the 2156 feels much lighter and more nimble. I also really like the power delivery of the 2156, it absolutely rips. No problem cutting anything in the 18" range. Just keep the chain sharp (as you should anyway) and let the saw do the work, they really dont perform that well if you dog in to heavy (compared to the 2165). I have a 18" bar with 3/8 full comp chain and really like this setup. That way I can use 1 file for all my saws.

The 365 also is heavier than advertised, but not to the same degree as the 357xp.

The fact that the 365 is more bulky, takes more fuel, and often is equipped with a heavier bar, sure makes the difference between them feel larger than it is to many users.

Empty powerhead weights aren't perfect for comparing saws weights - but there sure are no better way to do it!

You just have to know the other variables.......

Last edited:
OK, i'm cruising the archives again tonight. Probably give me local dealer a call in the morning, have to see if he still sells Husky, and see if he's even open or around anymore. I hate to call him, the whole place is a mess, and I worry on the quality of a job there would be if something needed service. Do you know, do shops do there own warranty work, or does it get sent off? I suppose I can try calling the local fleet and farm store that sells them too, maybe they could order one. Pending on price of course. Of course theres ebay, but what kind of service do you get there.....

Around here dealers service what they sell.
Are there any Jred dealers in the area, same saws but with correct straight handle and in a pretty red colour;)

He's primarily a Jonsered dealer, but has the access to Husqvarna. Honestly he carries some of both. The fleet and farm store carries Husky and Poulan.

I think i'll search again for dealers. I think there's a dealer an hour away, but again it's just a small repair shop, of which i've never had anything to do with. Stihl owns the market around here, for the most part. Because John Deere dealers sell them. I used to work for one.

OK, i'm cruising the archives again tonight. Probably give me local dealer a call in the morning, have to see if he still sells Husky, and see if he's even open or around anymore. I hate to call him, the whole place is a mess, and I worry on the quality of a job there would be if something needed service. Do you know, do shops do there own warranty work, or does it get sent off? I suppose I can try calling the local fleet and farm store that sells them too, maybe they could order one. Pending on price of course. Of course theres ebay, but what kind of service do you get there.....

Promac is service that important to you or can you learn to service your own? I mean this site and a little commonsense, a few tools and you can do everything short of porting. It is a learning experiance but hey that's the fun part right? Now warranty issues I can understand but my dealer just gives me my parts he knows I can do what he can so unless I don't have time my warranty is just parts!

Honestly I can do about everything other than what I don't have tools for (machining/leakdown testing). I used to be a mechanic, not for small engines, although i've rebuilt saws and have worked on small engines. But I figure if you patronize someone and give them your business, service from them is important. It's not about what I can expect from myself, but what I can expect from the dealer if something would happen. I don't want to be left for.......

So are you saying that I shouldn't be afraid of ordering from a distant dealer?

Good choice for a 2 saw plan. 359 and 385 will cover most of the bases.:clap:

For a 3 saw plan why not a cheaper OE 346 and a 357 or a 365 and then the 385? Just a thought.

Or back to everyone's favorite NE346 and 385 should do it all to. The OP has some really good saws to choose from in this discussion.

BTW, It's your money buy the one(s) YOU like.:)

Scott

Good choice for a 2 saw plan. 359 and 385 will cover most of the bases.:clap:

For a 3 saw plan why not a cheaper OE 346 and a 357 or a 365 and then the 385? Just a thought.

Or back to everyone's favorite NE346 and 385 should do it all to. The OP has some really good saws to choose from in this discussion.

BTW, It's your money buy the one(s) YOU like.:)

Scott

Yep, I just want to make sure i'm not leaving anything out before I make a decision. I could have had a saw ordered this week if I had a local dealer that carried them so I could try them out. I may just end up with both the 346 and 357 in the future, but am trying to weigh my options out and look at alternatives (like getting both the 345 and 365). I'll just keep on studying the archives. If that darn 357 didn't cost a grand, it might not be that hard of decision.

Guess I should have said I have 2 three saw plans in the shop right now.

OE 346xp (3.4 hp) 16 inch bar

362xp Special (4.6 hp) 20 inch bar

385xp (6.3 hp) 24 inch bar

This combo works good.

I also have

359 (3.9 hp) 20 inch bar

372xp (5.3 hp) 24 inch bar

395xp (7.1 hp) 28 inch bar

This combo works dang good.

Scott

Yep, I just want to make sure i'm not leaving anything out before I make a decision. I could have had a saw ordered this week if I had a local dealer that carried them so I could try them out. I may just end up with both the 346 and 357 in the future, but am trying to weigh my options out and look at alternatives (like getting both the 345 and 365). I'll just keep on studying the archives. If that darn 357 didn't cost a grand, it might not be that hard of decision.

Am I missing something 'cause 357s cost alittle under $700 around here? I'll gladly get you the number of the local AD here.

Latest posts

Back