361-C and 9 pin sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... Although, I'm not sure just how well a 9 pin is going to work on that saw. I don't have any experience with .325, but since the difference between that and 3/8 is about the same as 3/8-.404, I'd guess that a 9 pin .325 is about the same as an 8 pin 3/8, and personally, I really wouldn't think of putting an 8 pin on a stock 361. ....

I regularly run a 3/8x8 on my stock european 361W, but admittedly that is with a 15" bar, for limbing and some lighter bucking.

In 3/8" Stihl specify the same DL count for 7- and 8-pin, but for the .325 they specify one DL more for 9-pin than for 7- and 8-pin..

Last edited:
Thanks Sawtroll, I'll stop by my dealer and see if he can add a link for me. I've got allot of .325 chain for my 16" bar and want to give it a try. No, I don't have the tools to do it myself. My addiction is growing and costing me more money AND pissing off the wife, I have to lay low for awhile.;)

Thanks Sawtroll, I'll stop by my dealer and see if he can add a link for me. I've got allot of .325 chain for my 16" bar and want to give it a try. No, I don't have the tools to do it myself. My addiction is growing and costing me more money AND pissing off the wife, I have to lay low for awhile.;)

I have no experience with the 361C and CQ saws, but if those extra parts are in the way of the larger sprockets, an added link will not help........

Nope the sprocket fit fine, I couldn't get the .325-67 link chain and bar on, not enough room between the bar heel and chain to go over the sprocket. It might be worth the try with the extra link. Good thought, I'll take the whole setup and saw down to the shop and see what he thinks.:bang:

I run .325 8T on 20" bars on both my 036 Pros and I'm very happy with them. Why risc bogging your saw with a 9T when you can be sure of how it will handle an 8 tooth rim. I've yet to hear an explanation of why anyone thinks 3/8ths is so much smoother in the cut. .325 has more teeth and each tooth takes less of a bite. It's also narrower, typically, so you're turning less wood into chips and your saw does less work because of it. JMO but you have everything you need except for the 8T .325 rim so why not see for yourself instead of asking us?
John.........

Apparently the 361-CQ has a wierd size drum and is not available in small spline, the 9 pin .325 is the only one offered for this drum(according to stihl). Gotta do more research and call one of the sponsors.

All this cause I thought it might be a good/safe idea to keep the "quick stop" and keep wifey happy (after all she gave it to me for xmas). Hey if it doesn't work out - running 3/8th aint the end of the world. Besides, then I'll have to use the 290 (perfectly good saw and has served me well) and it will make me smile when I go back to the 361.:deadhorse:

Just checked Bailey's - same story - the only large spline 325 sprocket offered is 9 pin.

I run .325 8T on 20" bars on both my 036 Pros and I'm very happy with them. Why risc bogging your saw with a 9T when you can be sure of how it will handle an 8 tooth rim. I've yet to hear an explanation of why anyone thinks 3/8ths is so much smoother in the cut. .325 has more teeth and each tooth takes less of a bite. It's also narrower, typically, so you're turning less wood into chips and your saw does less work because of it. JMO but you have everything you need except for the 8T .325 rim so why not see for yourself instead of asking us?
John.........

The reason you think .325 is better is the reason it isnt.

.325 is good for saws that dont have allot of power for the reasons you mentioned above. With .325, and having more cutters in the cut you also end up with allot of chips in the cut that the chain isnt capable of removing. Thats fine on a saw that slows down considerably when it hits the wood.

The 361, however, is not one of those saws that slows down when it hits the wood. Using .325 it will load up because the chain isnt slowing down.

I can tell you from first hand experience using a 16" bar in both .325 50 and 3/8 50.....the 3/8 cut faster and smoother.

Latest posts

Back