361 pulling 28" full comp in Beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Didn't we just recently have a big discussion on whether or not a 361 could pull a 25" bar? Let's go for 28" buried in some crazy hard crotch wood Beech!! No, it's not fast, but it had no problem pulling the chain and keeping the RPMs up. The chain wasn't even dry afterwards. The saw is ported and the oiler control bolt upgraded. The chain is round ground Stihl RS.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoc3EXmbil8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoc3EXmbil8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
your sick

brad you got to stop makin me spit beer. that is awsome. now i am planning on doing a old 038 but putting a 36" bar and chain on her. this is great proof that because a saw is x cc it haz to be x bar length. this prove to me any stock saw suckssssssssssss.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
:givebeer:

Slow? That does not look that slow for a log that size to me. I get about the same results from a 25 inch bar in 23" black oaks here with my 361.

The Snellerized porting upgrade probably adds what, 15% HP to that saw?

Looking good there buddy.

Nice

It definently is not slippen or boggin(good filer/snellerizer)know.. It's just like--- the 044/440 is that saw. Why do we nwwd the 361. Im not trying to be a negative nancy but WHO the hell is so weak and poor that they cant buy a 440 and and at least half ass have a saw of ligitament power (20 to (34''modifyed)).. Why ?
I guess Stihl just rigged the handles so they would slowly medicate the user with hereoin haha.

I dont know i have beenm spending time with Mr. Evan williams to nite..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, some of us that are not full time pro loggers really like the 361. I have had and owned the 361, the 440, and the 460. Problem for me with both the 440 and the 460 was the >v/i\b<r>a/t<i\o>n and fatigue factor from the larger size and weight. I am 6'-1" and weigh about 200, +/- a few beers. I can manage all three saws. Yes, the 440 and 460 cut faster, and yes they are good saws, and they can run longer bars. But for me at least, after cutting with the 460 for a few hours, my hands were numb, and I was far more tired. I was also a lot lower on gas (both the 440 and 460 are very thirsty buggers).

Anyway, in my experience, the larger trees that were more demanding of time and larger HP saws like this one in the demo that Brian has here (great video by the way) were fewer and farther between. Most of the larger trees that I managed on the 85 acre tree stand were in the 18 inch range, give or take 4 inches. I thinned a lot of one footers, and limbed and topped a lot of trees, and bucked and cut up and noodled a shyte-load of firewood. At the end of the day, the 440 and 460 were just too heavy, and I typically went for the 361, or even the 025 to cut with. In the end I guess it is preference, and age, and experience, and what you do with your saw. I don't have either the 440 or 460 any more. I will probably keep my 361 until I kick the bucket.

Added note: Oh yah, and the 440 is not being sold in the states any more (to answer your direct question). For that matter, in less than 2 years none of these saws will be available. The 441 will be the only pro saw sold now that will pass the more stringent EPA and anti-vibration laws going into effect. So load up while you can. These saws (361, 440, 460) are going bye-bye. Yes, even the 361.

Last edited:
I wood say that the older I get, the longer my bars have gotten. And the smoother the saws.

I learned to use a chainsaw using my dad's big ol' Homelite. I have this Olympyk monster here as a doorstop. Cuts good, but man, what a beast. The 361 will out-cut it, and it weighs a lot less. Same size bars (25 inch). Never mind the old Mac. I used that as an arboriost when I was in my early 20s. And that thing plumb wore me out good, even back then. 36 inch bars on them (we had a pair of them once). Then my brother bought this little Stihl saw back in the early 1980s, see, and it cut the crap out of trees. We were both convinced. I have been a Stihl fan ever since.

Smaller and more powerful Stihls... with age. :cheers:

I wood say that the older I get, the longer my bars have gotten. And the smoother the saws.

I learned to use a chainsaw using my dad's big ol' Homelite. I have this Olympyk monster here as a doorstop. Cuts good, but man, what a beast. The 361 will out-cut it, and it weighs a lot less. Same size bars (25 inch). Never mind the old Mac. I used that as an arboriost when I was in my early 20s. And that thing plumb wore me out good, even back then. 36 inch bars on them (we had a pair of them once). Then my brother bought this little Stihl saw back in the early 1980s, see, and it cut the crap out of trees. We were both convinced. I have been a Stihl fan ever since.

Smaller and more powerful Stihls... with age. :cheers:

The old monsters excell when the bar at hand is 36'' plus. i garundamn tee that that 361 aint gonna torque a reed motor

Sooooo...

Porting that little saw add about how much if you guessed??? Like does it go from 4.4 to 5.2hp or something? And what's the difference in rpm's it can turn? I'm curious from stock to this how much of a difference there is??? If one wanted say a 5hp saw, would you be better off to buy a little 4hp saw and put the extra money in mods??? This is a great thread btw...

:popcorn: :clap:

Good video Brad!

That forestry company I sold that Dolmar tophandle to this summer, ran a fleet of 361's... All with 28" bars. They loved the setup.

You shave aweful late! Working 4th shift or what:greenchainsaw:

No, just shave once a day!:)

Really though, porting does wonders. I got a guy that will port my saws for $250 a piece, I should port a 660 or all of them, lol. I just can't justify the cash, but have run a few and they are wicked fast with almost no lost torque in the cut. Impressive. What I need to do is set up to port them myself, starting with the Poulan, lol. For now, I run muffler mods all around.

Last edited:
i think so if you can find a good jug man. Brad might be getting some buisness. Wanna try a 372 Brad?

I think some have interpreted my new avitar as a business logo and I've turned down quite a few jobs porting saws. I've chosen not to port saws for others, mainly because I don't want to turn a hobby I really enjoy into work and stress. I can just imagine the first saw I screw up being yours. I appreciate your vote of confidence though.

nice job on the saw

makes me think twice before selling mine due to unemployment

Were you using sq.grd. chain in this video?

Just round ground Stihl RS. I wish I had put the square ground chain on it that I ran on the 460. The 460 outcut every saw there in that big Beech. It outcut my 066BB 21 seconds to 29 seconds simply because of the chain. It was just so grabby though. The 066BB was only running round ground RS as well. A good chain makes all the differenc in the world.

361 pulling 28" full comp in Beech
Didn't we just recently have a big discussion on whether or not a 361 could pull a 25" bar? Let's go for 28" buried in some crazy hard crotch wood Beech!! No, it's not fast, but it had no problem pulling the chain and keeping the RPMs up. The chain wasn't even dry afterwards. The saw is ported and the oiler control bolt upgraded. The chain is round ground Stihl RS.
What is the 'oiler bolt upgrade', if I may ask?

Back