372 and 32" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, because of this thread, I tried a 36" bar with skip link chain on my lowly, muffler modded 372 yesterday, cutting firewood out of ponderosa that was about 34" through the largest cut. I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it, but for those occasions where a shorter bar is too much work, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Why not just use a 20 or 24", and cut from both sides - or a 28" with skip, and "overbuck" when needed??????? :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I have a 372 with a 32' bar stock. I have already cuts lots of oak (30+ trees) with it. Only notice the 32 bar when it is buried in a really large tree - > 32"

I was having it sharpened at local shop by grinder. I just switched to a hand round file with the jig on the bar to guide me. this way I can stop and touch up the chain myself during the day.

"Why not just use a 20 or 24", and cut from both sides - or a 28" with skip, and "overbuck" when needed???????"

I use 20" bars on the 372 and the 7900, for pretty much everything. The only long bar I have is the 36", so when something big enough comes up, out it comes. The only reason I used it on this tree (or the 372) was because after reading this thread, I was curious about how the 372 would handle the bar. I'm not recommending it or any other length bar. ...Most of the wood I cut is smaller than what I'm cutting right now, but I would take your advise on the 28", if I were cutting a lot of this.

I just finished porting a brand new 372 tonight. It is now wearing a full wrap, a 32" bar with an 8 pin sprocket.
I will see how it cuts in the morning.
I will try to get my fire watch to take some pics.

Last edited:
I used the saw today. I needed to adjust the carb first thing, so I ran it rich until it 4 stroked, then leaned it out until the rev limiter kicked in, then set it in the middle. There was a big black oak that had fallen over on the job so I sawed into that and fine adjusted the carb under a load. The saw ripped through the hard dead oak pretty good. This is with a 32" bar, skip square chisel chain, and an 8 tooth sprocket.
This is a mild port job, but these saws really come alive with a little help.
It was out cutting a Stihl 460 with a factory dual port muffler, 24" bar, full comp square chisel, by a good margin.
My fire watch got some pics, I will have to get her to down load them or put them on a disk for me, so I can post them.
Sorry, no pics of the port job.

Hows everyone feel about a 372 pulling a 32" bar?

What if the 372 had a BB kit and a muffler mod....any better?

We run 372 saws here in Canada. cutting down 10 to 12 foot cedars. With 33 inch bars. I mod them and they last and do the job you just have to be experianced on falling and filing. and there isnt to much they wont handle Get walkerized

Back