372 or 395???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
both are big saws but if say both could be had used for the same price, which would be a better option?

saw would be used for felling, bucking, milling 16-22" cherry, walnut, oak, maple wood. i have a smaller 42cc poulan for limbing and what not.

i think a 372 would be sufficient but the aww factor of the 395 is tempting....

thoughts? discuss amongst yourselves...

The awe factor of a sore lower back is also impressive - just in a different way.

The 372 will eat those logs so fast you will be looking for more stuff to cut and you will still be able to use your arms at the end of the day. The 395 is more weight without improving on the 372 (for this type work anyway).

thanks gwiley....

i figure also if the 372 ever craps out i could throw a BB kit in it and be better off than stock.

dad always said there's no replacement for displacement... but in his defense he was talking about his 572 big block GTO vs. my turbo 2.2L and not chainsaws!:msp_w00t:

395 is a muscle saw. It will cut faster, but it weighs a bit more. 395 is worth more, so it will have better resale value. With the 372, you can do small stuff and limbing work as well, so you wouldn't really need the Poulan anymore, unless you get the saw pinched.

Your choice really, but I would take the 395.

For milling you want as much power as you can have so I vote 395 !

Darn Straight

If you're going to be doing a lot of felling hardwood, especially bigger stuff you'll definitely want the 395XP's extra power. Main reason I got rid of my 372XP a few years ago was poor performance / lack of power in felling. Any saw can get you there when the tree is down, put when dropping there's no substitute for HP.

Take Care

Darn Straight

If you're going to be doing a lot of felling hardwood, especially bigger stuff you'll definitely want the 395XP's extra power. Main reason I got rid of my 372XP a few years ago was poor performance / lack of power in felling. Any saw can get you there when the tree is down, put when dropping there's no substitute for HP.

Take Care

Bingo! I was thinkin the same thing....."milling" just sayin that it would be mighty handy to have when ya ever do want to mill that big ole piece of oak or whatever. Go with the 395. Plenty a power and smooth as southern sippin whiskey.

+1

I mill with a 441 which has a little more low end grunt than a 372 and when I get into hardwoods of the diameter that you are talking about I switch over to the big Jonsered. If you were milling pine or the like a 70cc would be great because of fuel consumption, but hardwood milling and a 70cc saw becomes a case of saw consumption!

If your only other saw is 40cc, get them both. It would be a great setup. The 372 would be great for felling and bucking those sized (and bigger) trees and the 395 would shine on the mill.

If your only other saw is 40cc, get them both. It would be a great setup. The 372 would be great for felling and bucking those sized (and bigger) trees and the 395 would shine on the mill.

Right. He's gonna love that 372 anyways. But the 395 is a must for milling. I say get both also

If you weren't milling, I would say 372 hands down. The 395 is way overkill for that size wood unless milling. Honestly, I'd hate to have to use a 395 for all the other work, and taking it on and off the mill will be a pain. Yes, CAD demands that you buy both:clap:

Men, its not against the law to buy 2 saws at once. Just check out ole skippy tm......big time score. A pair of 090's if im not mistaken. 1 of them modified for racing.....:)

If the saws are used for business I'm sure the pair would pay for themselves shortly. If used for personal, well, that's up to you to decide when a saw has paid for itself.

If you can get a 395 for the price of a 372 the 395 is a good deal might not be able to find another one for that price. I would also go with the 395 and then later get the 372 if you feel you still need to. I don't think the 395 is all that heavy as compared to other 90cc saws.

earthday004.jpg

I used a 385XP/285 for years felling then went to a 372XP for about 5 years. I picked up a 395XP just for giggles. Well guess what, any time the tree is over 15" or so the 395 gets used. I forgot how much nicer it is to use a bigger saw for felling and bucking. It is actually less work to me. CJ

A lot of good post in this thread. The 372 and 395 is like chalk and cheese. I can't see either one taking the place of the other. You wouldn't want to mill much with a 372, and you ( or me anyways) wouldn't want to cut and buck much wood with a 395 unless its pretty good sized wood.

In about 20'' wood or so, a good strong 372 will run off and leave a 395.

On a mill, Id expect the 395 to pull away from a 372.

I have both,,, the 372 is my favorite and gets used the most....but when the big wood comes out, its 395 time!

Latest posts

Back