372xp 20" or 24"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Mossman--get the 24" bar with the saw. I have both, and I usually leave the 24" bar on. I actually like the way the 20" bar balances better, but when I get into smaller stuff, I am usually using the 346xp. I have a lot of trees around 20" or slightly larger that make felling with a 24" inch bar quicker and simpler.
:cheers:
Tim

Just split the difference and go with the 22", I found for me the 24" I hit the ground alot and the 20" hurt my back from bending over too much. With the 22" the handles on the saw sat on top of my knees very well taking the strain off my back when limbing

The 20" bar is probably all i need, but i like the idea of a 24" just to aid bending down. But then again i guess i shouldn't complain as i'm running a 13" on my 357 :dizzy:

The 262 is running a 15"

I like the balance with a 20" bar on my 372's, I never liked my 044 with 24" bar combo.

It surely balance and handle better with the 20", but 24" is just fine when you really need it. I have both (+ 16" :laugh::laugh:), but mostly use the 20" one (not much large wood here).

The 20" bar is probably all i need, but i like the idea of a 24" just to aid bending down. But then again i guess i shouldn't complain as i'm running a 13" on my 357 :dizzy:

The 262 is running a 15"

The longer bar will also make it "easier" to hit the ground....:jawdrop:

I'm going to have a 13" for the 660 in day or so. It's for square cookie cutting. That's all I've used the 20" for too. The saw does feel real light almost like there's no bar on it.

It surely balance and handle better with the 20", but 24" is just fine when you really need it. I have both (+ 16" :laugh::laugh:), but mostly use the 20" one (not much large wood here).

Yeap, I've been known to pop a 16" bar on the 372 too, shoot I had a 16" mounted to a 272 for years. I'm not saying it won't pull a 24" well because I have plenty of hours with a 30" bar on my 372 waiting for my 066.

I went 24" on mine, but I also bought a 20" bar and chains as well. I've only used the 24" bar so far. I've buried it in dry ash butts that the bar wouldn't quite reach across and it just flat out hauls with plain old 3/8 full chisel.

I like the balance, but keep in mind I have the 359 with 20" bar.

Truth be told, I almost regret not going 20" on the 346. Like many here my back does not agree with bending a lot.

A 24" with a skip chain will cut anything. If you want to keep the weight down, Oregon make a laminated bar that I have found to be very durable if you do not abuse it. I run a 28" husky bar with a square skip on mine half of the time, the laminated 24" for the rest, and my 20" bar(which weighs the same as my 24" Oregon Pro-Lite bar) looks nearly new as it hangs in the barn awaiting a 346XP or a trade. The 372 without so much as a muffler mod does fine buried in 36" pine with a skip chain. If you only see hardwood, a 24" skip should do fine.

Just wondered which is bar suits the 372 better? Both options are the same price and the saw is brand new. Its the 70cc version.

If you change your mind it will be cheaper to buy a 20" bar later. Typically easier to find bargains as well on 20" and shorter bars.

I usually keep the 20'' on mine. One thing to keep in mind is that the 20'' bar with the big dawgs that I have on my saw only gives 17'' of usable bar.

Latest posts

Back