372xp - getting weak, send help !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhinkley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been fighting the bug to lay my hands on a new 372xp for some time. But I have become weak. Someone please give me a reason why I shouldnt buy a new 372xp. Hurry, I may even squeeze the trigger on it tonight. I keep telling myself that my MS361 is all I need. But....well you guys know what I am saying !! Please help me !

where's Sawtroll when you need him....;)
he's having both saws and should be able to compare very well.

I have had a 372 XP (used one, but running well), and I felt it did have some more grunt than the 361, but was not really faster in the cut. The difference in power to me was not enough to justify keeping the 372 ; I sold mine and kept the 361, and do not regret it.
roland

Last of the really good Husky saws. We'll never see them like that again. We're destined to only see saws severly regulated by EPA in the future.

I now have both 361 and 372. I'll be using my Husky less and less. Plan to run 24" bar on the 372xp for stump cuts. 361 wears a 20" and that will do almost everything in FL.

have had a 372 XP (used one, but running well), and I felt it did have some more grunt than the 361, but was not really faster in the cut. The difference in power to me was not enough to justify keeping the 372 ; I sold mine and kept the 361, and do not regret it.
I dont know what kind of wood your cutting, but I also owned a 361 and have a few 372's. The 372 will chew up and spit out a 361 with out missing a beat. At least that was my findings.
The 361 is a great saw, dont get me wrong, but its not a 372.

I have been fighting the bug to lay my hands on a new 372xp for some time. But I have become weak. Someone please give me a reason why I shouldnt buy a new 372xp. Hurry, I may even squeeze the trigger on it tonight. I keep telling myself that my MS361 is all I need. But....well you guys know what I am saying !! Please help me !

I've been there - got my 372xpg last november........:)

Just get it, and there will be no regrets.......:blob2: :blob2: :rockn:

...if not, you will regret it ever after.......:monkey: :help:

I dont know what kind of wood your cutting, but I also owned a 361 and have a few 372's. The 372 will chew up and spit out a 361 with out missing a beat. At least that was my findings.
The 361 is a great saw, dont get me wrong, but its not a 372.

Lol, I knew I was going to get beaten up by the Husky guys for this...:hmm3grin2orange:
You may be right about the wood question, I tested the saw on poplar, which is really softwood.
Ben, I know you are a big fan of the 372 but aren't your saws all modded ? I was talking exclusively stock here.

I've been there - got my 372xpg last november........:)

Just get it, and there will be no regrets....... :blob2: :rockn:

...if not, you will regret it ever after.......:

from someone who's very keen on accurate numbers, I would have expected some more factual findings, Mr sawtroll . Now tell us your findings from the field ...:cheers:

where's Sawtroll when you need him....;)
he's having both saws and should be able to compare very well.

I have had a 372 XP (used one, but running well), and I felt it did have some more grunt than the 361, but was not really faster in the cut. The difference in power to me was not enough to justify keeping the 372 ; I sold mine and kept the 361, and do not regret it.
roland

372 has a different power band pitch, Only Stihls have to grunt to get through a cut.

from someone who's very keen on accurate numbers, I would have expected some more factual findings, Mr sawtroll . Now tell us your findings from the field ...:cheers:

Lol, my 372 is too new for a fair comparison (winter came suddenly right after I got it) - hopefully it will be run in when the Easter is over (going to the cottage tomorrow).
Anyway, I am not into cut timing, and I do not have the possibility to use the same chain on both.

Even from the outset, it was pretty obvious that the 372 is stronger than the 361 for full or near full bar cuts in slow-grown birch, though.

Last edited:
372 has a different power band pitch, Only Stihls have to grunt to get through a cut.

Manual, I give up on you, you can't be saved anymore.....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Anyway, I am not into cut timing, and I do not have the possibility to use the same chain on both.

Even from the outset, it was pretty obvious that the 372 is stronger than the 361 for full or near full bar cuts in slow-grown birch, though.

Do I sense a lil fear in that statement already, my oh my... LOLOL

If all you're cutting is 16 inch wood, the 361 and 371 will be similar; if you cut bigger wood, get the 372... Obviously depends on the wood, but..

I have saws in many classes -> ms200, 026, 361, 440, 660, 880.. to name a few, but I reach for the 361 mostly..

A simple muffler mod on the 361 will take to around 5hp...

If all you're cutting is 16 inch wood, the 361 and 371 will be similar; if you cut bigger wood, get the 372... Obviously depends on the wood, but..

I have saws in many classes -> ms200, 026, 361, 440, 660, 880.. to name a few, but I reach for the 361 mostly..

A simple muffler mod on the 361 will take to around 5hp...

Yes I think so in pine, Harder wood differs, More along the line of 12 - 14" wood.

Back