"372xp X-Torque" ... vs 372xp disadvantage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm not sure what the weight difference is but it is noticable, i would be very surprised to see the difference was just 3 ounces. i did a half day with an XT i cooked and then the next half with an OE which was the most dramatic feel of the difference i remember. not enough extra weight for me to care as the XT makes up for it in torque.

I'll do the flywheels, chain brake lever/handle, and covers too if folks really want to do the math....:) Oh yea..carbs & intake stuff. ( BTW The 365XT has the smaller filters and covers...so that is lighter than the 372XT's high top as well.) The older 371's had lighter cases as well..less ribs. Earlier OE's flywheels had a more rounded shape and larger spacing between the fins. XT's are heavier by around 1oz than those early ones. And the real early ones had single ring pistons..lighter yet. I have enough parts to build both to completion in the shop..and can weight each and every freaken part one vs. the other if thats of any use to clarify.

Those are out of the OEM boxes with rings wrist pins etc.

Can't argue the fact XT's are heavier. Simply have larger/taller cylinders and all things related, bigger carb & intake parts, etc. You have more than "3" ounces right there..

The question is does it matter. To me it does, to the majority probably not. They feel heavier. Because they are. Just that simple. (Doesn't make them bad girls..:) )

Still have the top cover, chain brake handle, handle bar all being taller to accommodate the taller cylinder. Maybe tomorrow I'll dig those out. Haven't got to a pound, but beat hell out of 2-3 ounces so far. Rotational mass in the flywheel and taller piston both effect "feel" along with being .5in taller...everywhere moving the weight difference away from CG also effecting feel. Along with running 300-500 less No load and more internal mass to accelerate (piston & flywheel)...they are different saws. And feel different. BUT many won't notice or even care because they look the same and have the same number on them. Its an "academic" exercise really. And for the most part doesn't matter. Come on 572!

I would not count on those documents to be correct. Both sources are known to have errors. The only way to know is to actually weigh them. Maybe @spike60 could weight a 372XP XT dry PHO.

Yea sales documents leave a lot to be desired...but the one to turn loose on a project like this is Matt. He would get folks to donate three saws of each type and variation, have them all torn down, cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner....(really clean), put each bit on the scale in three different orientations, take the average. Then deliver an RMS of the differences to the sixth decimal place. And turn it into a video..:) At the end you would know which saw is heavier.

Bob? He would "heft" each one....and tell you the XT is heavier...then he would tell you its doesn't matter because you can't buy the OE version anyway.

Last but not least...Brad. My bet is after you have done your thing on the XT's, they weigh LESS than stock & maybe even as light as an OE version. So the question I have is when you "mod" one....do you enhance the XT design intent & characteristics? More X & T? Or less.

( All you folks really worried about the 372xt being heavier....you send it to Brad, he will fix that )

So flywheel weighting more gives it extra torque? Heavier rotating mass taking more work to slow? Just a question, 30 grams is a lot if you compare that to clutch engagement weights on snowmobile primary clutch, a couple grams makes a big difference.

Thank You: Everyone.

I had returned to the dealer after the congress. $839.00 (bar) He gave me the discount as he ordered 100 for the congress.

He stated: The 372xp is increasing to the 9's ?

$600 for the 372.
$500 for the 365.

Still have the top cover, chain brake handle, handle bar all being taller to accommodate the taller cylinder. Maybe tomorrow I'll dig those out. Haven't got to a pound, but beat hell out of 2-3 ounces so far. Rotational mass in the flywheel and taller piston both effect "feel" along with being .5in taller...everywhere moving the weight difference away from CG also effecting feel. Along with running 300-500 less No load and more internal mass to accelerate (piston & flywheel)...they are different saws. And feel different. BUT many won't notice or even care because they look the same and have the same number on them. Its an "academic" exercise really. And for the most part doesn't matter. Come on 572!
Ahh forget weighing parts.I'm ready for another dead saw salvage.[emoji6]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Ahh forget weighing parts.I'm ready for another dead saw salvage.[emoji6]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

:)
Have a 576xp this week and a junk pile build where I effectively build a 560 by stuffing 562 guts into a set of 555 cases. AND a 272, a 298, just haven't decided which of those oldies will come first.

I have to admit I actually really miss the X torq I had. A good muffler mod and retune did it wonders. Definitely not as high reving but loads more torque. Ran a 32" bar without a hiccup. But a 24" .404 was my favorite on it.

Steven
Care to share your "muffler mod" ...

Or anything on the market available built, worthwhile. Thank You.

We've all had this discussion before,but we all know the XP is preferred over the XT.
My neighbour has a stock XT that must be an off the production line ringer, because it beat my modded XP.
My Excuse: Not as good as I use to be. Lol.

Spike60 has one of those...remember a few years back, 7 years?? He brought one over that bested some famous name modded saws.

Latest posts

Back