"372xp X-Torque" ... vs 372xp disadvantage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is SO true. Even some of the "2" generations saw.....254, 242 etc. A 372 original edition with a single ring is a really snappy saw. Light and simple too.. All this new "bling" is as much about emissions as anything. But have to give the companies credit for both being able to dance around the red tape and building saws that are advancing the "state of the art", A 562 is a better saw to run than any of its 60cc predecessors..:)

Simple....Just to play devil's advocate, between a 372XT and a 372XP, is there even additional part at all, moving or otherwise? Strato is the definition of a simple and elegant solution, depending only on the modified shape of a couple of parts. Compared to the original Zenoah GZ4000, which is light and compact and revs well, Husqvarna and others seemed to have struggled a bit to implement it without increasing weight and size, but it appears the 372XT is the closest in implementation to the GZ4000.

At least from pictures anyway, as I've never seen one in person.

Simple....Just to play devil's advocate, between a 372XT and a 372XP, is there even additional part at all, moving or otherwise? Strato is the definition of a simple and elegant solution, depending only on the modified shape of a couple of parts. Compared to the original Zenoah GZ4000, which is light and compact and revs well, Husqvarna and others seemed to have struggled a bit to implement it without increasing weight and size, but it appears the 372XT is the closest in implementation to the GZ4000.

At least from pictures anyway, as I've never seen one in person.
Think the Husqvarna designs were heavily influenced by Redmax... but while all the simplicity might be cool, doesn't change the fact the saw grew in size to accommodate the passages. Engineering simplicity is defined by the lunar moduals rocket motor.... two materials combusted on contact.. Doesn't mean that concept would make for a better saw design if implemented...:)

(Really wish you could find either time or a reason to make that 3 hr drive north to a Mini GtG when some of the other saw folks come to visit)

(Really wish you could find either time or a reason to make that 3 hr drive north to a Mini GtG when some of the other saw folks come to visit)
Thanks Walt, that sounds fun but I'm so far behind, just like always. I'm just wrapping up rebuilding a portion of the stone wall that holds up the corner of the front porch. That project took way too much time this summer. After that the chicken coops need some major attention before winter, and then I have several window sashes to re-create. Not to mention firewood. And I'm sure I'll have to work on the car in there somewhere. There are only so many weekend days!

In truth my obsession with saws has mostly burned itself out. They still interest me, I still heat with wood and use them plenty, and I still read on AS mostly out of habit. But I'm probably done with mods and builds and putting way too much time into thinking about they work.

Think the Husqvarna designs were heavily influenced by Redmax...

To the extent that Strato Charging was developed, (and patented) by Red Max, this is true. That's why Husky bought them from Zenoah. But Red Max is not playing any other role in the design of Husky saws other than the 543XP of course.

The XT of course is a hybrid of sorts and a bit of a compromise. The XP that we wish they still made simply could not pass EPA compliance. The XT was a solution that allowed the basic design to endure for another 8-9 years. (in 2018 the 576 will go away. The 372XT will run concurrently with the 572 for a year, then it too will finally be laid to rest.)

I find the fussy criticism and whining about the 372XT both ammusing and annoying. It's something for the nit pick crowd to throw barbs at, but who would disagree that the 372XT is better than no 372 at all? A lot of the same guys who pontificate about the shortcomings of the XT would do orgasmic cartwheels if Husky announced they were going to bring back the 262XP with a strato cylinder even if it gained a half pound.

So, rather than find fault with it, I give them credit for keeping the saw in the line up. In part of course because I sell a ton of them. And most of them go to serious and pro users who don't really notice much of a difference for the most part. A little heavier, and it "feels different" are comments I sometimes hear. But "I wanna buy 372" is the comment I hear all the time. :)

In truth my obsession with saws has mostly burned itself out. They still interest me, I still heat with wood and use them plenty, and I still read on AS mostly out of habit. But I'm probably done with mods and builds and putting way too much time into thinking about they work.

I kind of hate to admit this, but I'm also losing interest in the modded saw craze. The "tinkering" aspect is a lot of fun, and I've managed to stay in the simple mods arena which doesn't consume hours and hours to build a saw. For one thing I don't have that much spare time to burn on building a saw, and we've more or less of proven that those simple tweaks get you 3/4 of the way there anyway.

But the reality is that a modded 372 doesn't do any more real work for me than a stock one does. How much do those extra couple of seconds we find on the test log really matter when we are just working? Sometimes I don't want the extra noise of a modded muffler either. This year I've been cutting with a mix of stock and modded saws; some old and some new. I enjoy them all. :)

But the reality is that a modded 372 doesn't do any more real work for me than a stock one does. How much do those extra couple of seconds we find on the test log really matter when we are just working? Sometimes I don't want the extra noise of a modded muffler either. This year I've been cutting with a mix of stock and modded saws; some old and some new. I enjoy them all. :)

Hey Spike, you must be getting old buddy.... LOL. Join the club. I have said many years ago that the modding stuff only really matters if you"re logging all day long, but won't matter for the average wood cutter. Apart from the 'fun' part of a hotrod saw, I don't see the need for a loud, modded saw either. But on the other hand, I still want one, just for the heck of it.

I kind of hate to admit this, but I'm also losing interest in the modded saw craze. The "tinkering" aspect is a lot of fun, and I've managed to stay in the simple mods arena which doesn't consume hours and hours to build a saw. For one thing I don't have that much spare time to burn on building a saw, and we've more or less of proven that those simple tweaks get you 3/4 of the way there anyway.

Some of the ported saws I did came out very nice - they're reliable and tractable and will work all day. They get used a lot. But some of the saws I like to use most are close to stock, with only a muffler mod or that and a base gasket delete. It makes zero difference in how long it takes to cut firewood, whereas a saw that isn't working right will just kill productivity.

I had fun playing with mods, but these days I just can't justify the time spent both in working on the mods and thinking about that stuff. It became a distraction and diversion from other things I need to focus on. There are engineers who get paid to do that work, but I'm not one of them! So now when I have to take something apart for other reasons it's likely to get a few quick and standard tweaks before reassembly, but that's about it.

there was a time i wasn't interested in using a ported saw for work. this was mostly do to other older fallers tales of gas guzzling pigs refueling way to often. some of the bad ones are a PITA chasing gas around but not that bad if you plan your work to end up at you gas sooner. even then most ported saws are not that much worse.
a really nice smooth cutting chain goes along with a ported saw and to run a ported saw with a **** chain is the silliest thing i've ever seen. i don't look at the cut times at all because that is cookie cutter mentality and why i say the guy cutting the fastest cookie is not automatically the guy building the best work saw. the added mid range pulling power is what i like in a ported saw as they fall on their face alot easier with longer bars.
underbucking on a steep grade is especially hard on the back and this is where i see the most dramatic improvements with the ported saw and square ground chain. at the end of the day i feel like i did half as much work so for me the porting pays for itself after just a week. if a guy can't keep up with a stock saw there really is no use for a ported one

there was a time i wasn't interested in using a ported saw for work. this was mostly do to other older fallers tales of gas guzzling pigs refueling way to often. some of the bad ones are a PITA chasing gas around but not that bad if you plan your work to end up at you gas sooner. even then most ported saws are not that much worse.
a really nice smooth cutting chain goes along with a ported saw and to run a ported saw with a **** chain is the silliest thing i've ever seen. i don't look at the cut times at all because that is cookie cutter mentality and why i say the guy cutting the fastest cookie is not automatically the guy building the best work saw. the added mid range pulling power is what i like in a ported saw as they fall on their face alot easier with longer bars.
underbucking on a steep grade is especially hard on the back and this is where i see the most dramatic improvements with the ported saw and square ground chain. at the end of the day i feel like i did half as much work so for me the porting pays for itself after just a week. if a guy can't keep up with a stock saw there really is no use for a ported one

That's more than an opinion; that's wisdom. :)

underbucking on a steep grade is especially hard on the back and this is where i see the most dramatic improvements with the ported saw and square ground chain. at the end of the day i feel like i did half as much work so for me the porting pays for itself after just a week.
The ability to use a lighter, smaller saw is the best rational for a ported saw.

The ability to use a lighter, smaller saw is the best rational for a ported saw.

I had that one on my falling exam.
It's a trick question.

I did actually have it but worded a little different for a multiple choice.

It definitely wasn't the right answer in their eyes anyway.

I can be a bit of a greasy hypocrite.
So I answered it correctly then we stopped in for lunch on the way to the bush for me to do my practical.(fall 10 tree) I picked up the bill and pushed him the receipt across the table and said "can you use this?..
It's no good to me...lol

We get out of the truck and I start to go into a required stretching regiment. He starts to stretch also.
I drink some required water he drinks some water.
He said he would bring his saw and axe to credit me for spare gear.
I bring out a ported saw so he can complete the equipment odit.
What do you know my 'illegal'...saw passes odit.

I'm about ready to go ..he asked me if I was ready. I start walking in behind him about 40ft thinking..*this is going well*

He looks back..turns around and says..."aren't you going to bring your saw"!

:buttkick:

Worked out well, over lunch he said another certifier friend of his was checking on a job and new they were in need of fallers. Turns out I got two year work and was able to return the favor many times.
He has well moved on from his position.

I'll be damn. Never owned a 372xp, however, the industry, AB, etc, opinioned..........

It's been arguably "The best saw ever produced" ?

I can attest ... the 390xp is my personal fav.

Stihl 880
Stihl 462
Stihl 441
Stihl 362 (sold)
Husqvarna 395xp "never used"
Husqvarna 394xp
Husqvarna 390xp
Husqvarna 372x "which ever you prefer"
Husqvarna 562xp (sold)
Recent inherent (17 yrs. later Husqvarna L65 ... family member retrieved from the privileged, "for me" post Grandfathers death!

Thank You: Everyone ... once again.

The collection is mint. With the exception of a couple "None of them are broke in"

Never ported, cleaned and polished. Ran and drained occasionally to keep fluid.

Most may be for sale ... ?

Latest posts

Back