"372xp X-Torque" ... vs 372xp disadvantage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you guys are just so silly with this stuff. LOL

And again, we have an instance of drawing conclusions without sufficient information. Something simple, and mostly insignificant, except on a forum like this where all molehills become mountains. But it once again shows why you can't put a lot of faith in what you read on these forums.

My good friend Walt wants to illustrate a point about weight, and one example that he picks is to weigh two different flywheels. He has a bunch of stuff laying around and notices that one flywheel has more fins than the other. He assumes that this difference is indicative of XP vs XT changes. But the truth is that those extra fins appeared a few years before the XT was introduced. So, people read this stuff and think "Oh, the XP and XT use different flywheels." And of course that will get repeated and spread around till it becomes an accepted fact that you can count the flywheel fins and tell whether it's from an XP or XT. Not the way it is guys. But could Walt have mistakenly grabbed a flywheel from his pile of dead 385's? Wouldn't matter at all cause the 385 uses the same flywheel as the 372.

Whenever someone comes in the store and starts out with , "I was reading online", I pretty much figure they don't know what they are talking about. :)

Some of you guys are just so silly with this stuff. LOL

And again, we have an instance of drawing conclusions without sufficient information. Something simple, and mostly insignificant, except on a forum like this where all molehills become mountains. But it once again shows why you can't put a lot of faith in what you read on these forums.

My good friend Walt wants to illustrate a point about weight, and one example that he picks is to weigh two different flywheels. He has a bunch of stuff laying around and notices that one flywheel has more fins than the other. He assumes that this difference is indicative of XP vs XT changes. But the truth is that those extra fins appeared a few years before the XT was introduced. So, people read this stuff and think "Oh, the XP and XT use different flywheels." And of course that will get repeated and spread around till it becomes an accepted fact that you can count the flywheel fins and tell whether it's from an XP or XT. Not the way it is guys. But could Walt have mistakenly grabbed a flywheel from his pile of dead 385's? Wouldn't matter at all cause the 385 uses the same flywheel as the 372.

Whenever someone comes in the store and starts out with , "I was reading online", I pretty much figure they don't know what they are talking about. :)

Man If I had a dollar for every time I heard. I saw online or I watched a video on YouTube.

Ohh well. I guess it's bad for equipment and most things mechanical, but it's good for keeping the shop busy!

Steven

Yup, I agree Steve. And it's hilarious how these things take on a life of their own.

I can pick on Walt, cause we're close friends and he won't get too offended. But he'll do a video on this and get a bunch of guys wound up about using the lighter 10 fin flywheel. Not only does it save weight, but the saw must accelerate faster, with that lighter flywheel, right? Don't know if we'll be able to demonstrate that on the test log. :) But I'll be getting calls from guys looking for those early flywheels, whose value has apparently gone up all of a sudden with this revelation. Guys will be running modded saws at a GTG and saying, "I got the 10 fin flywheel in that baby." It'll be the new "in thing".

But then the 14 fin contingent will rise in opposition! Some guy with a burned up saw will blame it on the 10 fin flywheel not cooling the saw. Someone will come up with a way to measure the airflow difference. Pages and pages of online debate!

I'm going to round up all the 10 fin flywheels I can find now that their going to be worth a lot of money. LOL

I took a 372 XP in trade that had been modded with shaved flywheel. I removed it and put on a stock flywheel as I made the saw back into a work saw.

Well sometime later someone wanted a shaved fw to save some weight etc on a race build. I sent them the shaved FW. He said this FW weighs the same as my stock one. o_O
We both scratched our heads and finally figured out someone had shaved a XPG FW. :dumb::lol::laughing:

i got 2 nos 372xp non xt if anyone's interested
Look like this? :)

20170916_171828-L.jpg

Bob's fixation on the flywheel really doesn't change the argument...XT "option per option" are measurably bigger and heavier than the OE's. Does point out that there was a product evolution with the OE's as with all saws. And there are parts even lighter..like the flywheels. Never saw the 10 fin on an XT! Might be bits and pieces available to tweak that series. Bob? His logic would be taking a 372XPW with heated handles if they made one...he would HAVE one, if they did..weight it, find it as heavy or heavier that an XT and say that proves the XT's & OE's are the same..:) Bottom line? Xt's are cool, run strong, and can be modded to run really strong so as we have said a few times it doesn't matter to most. But two thing come to mind. First...If I have to build a saw for myself...granted that is an audience on ONE> Me. My opinion, my choice understanding others will do different things. I'll hunt for the OE feel, infact have a 375 project saw that I'm very much looking forward to build. Second, and the 800 lbs gorilla in the room for new saw buyers:

Stihl 462 13.22lbs (PHO claimed)
Husqvarna 372XT 14.1-14.2
Husqvarna 572 14.5

Really looking forward to the 572's

But I think this thread started with a fellow finding OE and XT options and was looking for opinions. And I fell into the "online" discussion trap and took the time and effort to explain why I have an opinion. My bad. Can't go wrong with either. I just prefer OE's..:) Haven't seen anything here to change that. But did find a concept to even further "enhance" that lively feel OE's have. Damn..never thought about it before...but those AM Mako pistons are really light....along with a lightened flywheel...endless possibilities..one of the best saw series ever to tinker with.

Hey, I'll let you have a 10 fin flywheel to put on an XT. They're up to $200 now that they're famous. :)

Not denying that the XT is a little heavier; bout a half pound I think. And given the choice you know i prefer the XP myself. But the difference isn't that big a deal in my eyes. Not big enough to like one and dislike the other.

So, I see a new build concept taking shape in your mind. Mako piston, 10 fin, 371 case, no outside dog, and the soft mounts I mentioned in the PM. (In that ugly low top look you like. LOL) Or maybe buy the lighter 362 cases and do a small mount XPW? Yup, endless possibilities.

I guess I'm late to the thread but here's my $0.02

When the XT arrived on the scene to replace the OE, there was a general distrust of the new strato technology. Filling the large boots of the "legendary" 372xp that make Husqvarna very much what it is today was a difficult job. So much was different with the XT that it was really just riding on the name of the 372xp.

Next, because the strato design chases out spent gasses with clean air instead of fuel/mix, there is less cooling. So they tend to run hotter. They are therefore more likely to overheat. Without proper tuning there is a smaller margin for error to have a catastrophic failure happen.

The XT did have a better mid range than the OE, which many said makes it feel like it has more torque. But the OE was able to achieve more / better gains when ported, at least initially compared to the XT. So $ for $, you got more gains out of the OE than the XT. Maybe now that builders have refined recipes over many iterations they are squeezing out more from an XT than before, but I don't know.

The OE 372xp has a lighter piston, so it has better acceleration and more top end power. For limbing you can appreciate it, if it's the only saw you're carrying around on a hill. If you're a firewood hack or have multiple saws handy, not so important. You won't appreciate top end power when cutting a 24" hardwood tree down. But you can appreciate rapid acceleration no matter what kind of cutting you do.

For the gram weenies, the XT weighed a little more. So they dinged it for that, the OE is also not as tall, so the center of mass is lower and more compact, which makes it easier to maneuver when turning around and sideways during limbing. The XT is slightly taller, and (for better or worse) has a fatter top handle. For those of us with little baby hands, the OE feels better. But the jury is still out on which one is better, probably comes back to operator preference.

They both cut wood. The OE is just the original. The XT came about because the EPA required fewer emissions, not because Husqvarna wanted to make a better/stronger/more reliable saw. It does sip fuel better, so you fill up less frequently. Which is nice. And you breath less pollution while cutting. Another plus.

:)
Have a 576xp this week and a junk pile build where I effectively build a 560 by stuffing 562 guts into a set of 555 cases. AND a 272, a 298, just haven't decided which of those oldies will come first.

I can't wait for the 576xp. Man that thing is toad to carry around but it rips with a 32" bar.

Thank You: Everyone.

I had returned to the dealer after the congress. $839.00 (bar) He gave me the discount as he ordered 100 for the congress.

He stated: The 372xp is increasing to the 9's ?

$600 for the 372.
$500 for the 365.

Man for that price on the 365. I would get one just to have an extra saw. Can you really have to many? lol

As of late,I've down sized to a 346 as this is all I need for firewooding in 10 inch wood. 38 degrees here.
562's 4 Me. And plan to build a set of 555 cases into a 560 (2260) with a light weight B&C this next week or so to take even more weight away....its about weight and vibration for me anymore.

562's 4 Me. And plan to build a set of 555 cases into a 560 (2260) with a light weight B&C this next week or so to take even more weight away....its about weight and vibration for me anymore.
As long as I got my 3rd generation Huskvarna,I don't need no 5th series saw. Not saying It's a bad saw, it's just the older saws are easier to work on.

As long as I got my 3rd generation Huskvarna,I don't need no 5th series saw. Not saying It's a bad saw, it's just the older saws are easier to work on.
That is SO true. Even some of the "2" generations saw.....254, 242 etc. A 372 original edition with a single ring is a really snappy saw. Light and simple too.. All this new "bling" is as much about emissions as anything. But have to give the companies credit for both being able to dance around the red tape and building saws that are advancing the "state of the art", A 562 is a better saw to run than any of its 60cc predecessors..:)

Latest posts

Back