390 pipe build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did miss this post!

We use a program called Pro-Nest utilize all the coil width space to cut all of our web material and some special parts. Typical range is .130" to 1/2". Not sure at what amps or speeds the guys run it at but you know it is fast when you look at the government job project you had them cut out and the kerf is at a 45* angle! I would like to see how well it would do but I know when they make the finger shims out of .060 material they look awful. There is a local laser shop I'd like to see if the rate is reasonable for piece jobs. It wouldn't bother me if all I had to do was send them a dwg. file with all the patterns to burn out. The pipe material is 22 gage.

They probably can cut smaller stuff if it only goes up to 1/2".

Angled kerfs is typically old or damaged tips or electrodes. If the tip hits the material the tip can smear and partially plug the hole causing the angled flame. The quality of the cut depends on a few things. Clean air is a must. Less slag and cleaner cut. Consumables that aren't worn out. The correct tip size to thickness of material. Tip height to material and speed of the head. These all depend on the skill and experience of the operator. I have 5+ years experience running this machine (part time as needed). I'm self taught (help files, phone support and trial/error) There are speed tests that can be ran to get the cleanest cut. They're probably not doing all that they can do to get a clean cut.

I import DXF files. It would be nice if you could use a local shop that doesn't need an arm and a leg for the use of their machine. I don't deal with the $$ side of the operation so I don't know what the shop charges. I do know I could use a little more!

22 gauge = .0299 or .030 which should form fairly easy. Right?

Are you using the sheet metal feature in ACad? Does it give you a flat pattern? If you are I'd like to know more.

When will my shop be ready??? I like the grain bins you added out back. I can store plenty of corn for my E distillery.

Let me know what you want! it should be about a 6-8 week delivery from order! Hurry though as the backlog tons are filling up fast, going to be a busy summer/fall!

That was a big corn storage facility in Illinois, I visited that jobsite during the last phases being erected and the completed phases had corn mounded to the ridge! I forget the millions of bushels it would hold but it was astroniomical. I had close to 300 hours detailing every aspect of that job.

They probably can cut smaller stuff if it only goes up to 1/2".

Angled kerfs is typically old or damaged tips or electrodes. If the tip hits the material the tip can smear and partially plug the hole causing the angled flame. The quality of the cut depends on a few things. Clean air is a must. Less slag and cleaner cut. Consumables that aren't worn out. The correct tip size to thickness of material. Tip height to material and speed of the head. These all depend on the skill and experience of the operator. I have 5+ years experience running this machine (part time as needed). I'm self taught (help files, phone support and trial/error) There are speed tests that can be ran to get the cleanest cut. They're probably not doing all that they can do to get a clean cut.

I import DXF files. It would be nice if you could use a local shop that doesn't need an arm and a leg for the use of their machine. I don't deal with the $$ side of the operation so I don't know what the shop charges. I do know I could use a little more!

22 gauge = .0299 or .030 which should form fairly easy. Right?

Are you using the sheet metal feature in ACad? Does it give you a flat pattern? If you are I'd like to know more.

It will cut thicker material but we don't typically get into webs that thick so there isn't a need for it to cut that thick. I have no doubt that the consumables are shot! We run both of those tables non-stop 5-6 days a week on three shifts. It helps produce 50-55,000 tons of structural steel. If that plas table goes down the whole structural side comes to a halt! You have different operators running it with one thing in mind...get tons out the door. They work on a man hour per ton bonus, it can get quite competitive on the floor. I used to work out there as a welder and Fitter and it was balls to the wall all night long, made good money though!

I use a cone program that you input the two diameters and the desired angle at each end and creates the flat patterns as you type, it is a amazing program!

Has anyone ever had a pipe "jet hot" coated? The reason I ask is I had a set done for a 66 cuda one time and the guy is still running them 15 years later with no rust. They were a "rare" set because they were chassis exit instead of typical fender well exit for an early A body with a V-8. As a plus the finish looked great sorta a brushed nickel.

Not much progress tonight, wasn't in the mood to work! I did finish milling the exhaust block. I also cut one of the belly pieces, anyone know how to sharpen a parting bit...Grrrr!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

flange002.jpg

flange001.jpg

Not much progress tonight, wasn't in the mood to work! I did finish milling the exhaust block. I also cut one of the belly pieces, anyone know how to sharpen a parting bit...Grrrr!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep. Slight positive rake, relief on the tool nose and both sides, and make darn sure the tool is dead on machine center when you set it.

Worked a little late tonight. Nice and cool and no one awake to screw with me:clap:

Had to build a strut to secure the header.

exhaustblock024-1.jpg

exhaustblock033.jpg

exhaustblock038.jpg

exhaustblock032.jpg

Last edited:
next one you do send me the acad file and i will 3D model it for you! I could draw up a mock chainsaw too with the critical outside dimensions and we could check overall fit too! see the whole thing is 3D before you cut metal!!

next one you do send me the acad file and i will 3D model it for you! I could draw up a mock chainsaw too with the critical outside dimensions and we could check overall fit too! see the whole thing is 3D before you cut metal!!

What software are you using?

Inventor 2010 + solidworks right now, in process of upgrading to 2012.

i am not really a huge fan of inventor. i have also used solidworks, ProE and Ideas V11. I think Ideas has been my favorite so far but maybe that was just because it had fluid and thermo dynamics and FEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back