394 and 395 compatibility

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone know, or can point me to a source... I'm trying to see if a 395 p/c will work on a 394 chassis... Seems they would...

:popcorn:

Thanks eh?

The advantage is 395 cylinders are easier to come by with factory take offs and after market kits. Also, some 394 users found the saws to have vapor lock issues with the solid mount carburetor.

Downside:
In factory form, the transfer ports are said to be smaller in the 395 and some argue the cylinder has less torque than a 394.

Last edited:
Difference

i'm not trying to start an arguement, but what would be the advantage of this? both saws are rated at 7.1hp.

One thing, you can buy a Big bore 395 kit with p/c for $130. Just the 394 jug is $250 and piston is $125, $377 for the 394 kit... I'll get more ponies with the BB kit, and save about $250. Maybe $150 once I buy a used carb for a 395...

:cheers: eh?

The added gains of a big bore kit are arguable. In the case "there's no replacement for displacement" does not particularly apply for all big bore kits. The gains in cc's is not that large and port timing/duration can effect power/torque outputs.

Big bore kits are said to have substantial gains when ported, however factory cylinders do also.

In my opinion, the low cost of the replacement part is the greatest benefit.

roger, cisco..........parrisw replied in a thread i posted when i picked up a 394, that the 394/395 swap would not work. just a thought.

Don't remember saying it wouldn't work, maybe said it wasn't worth it. I still don't know that it would work, I've never tried it.

I paid $295 for mine and I think that was a steal. If someone came up to me now and offered me a 394 for $200 I'd buy it, even though I already have 2 394's. And no a 395 P&C will not fit it.

gotcha in B+W.

you're a good guy, anyway! i take what you say with respect.

gotcha in B+W.

you're a good guy, anyway! i take what you say with respect.

Hey I do apologize if I led ya wrong, don't know why I would of said that. You would have to change everything making it not worth it possibly? If you really want to know I have 2 394's an 1 395. I can compare the 2 and see if it may work. I personally think the 394 is a better saw, I've never had valour lock problems with mine.

I'm pretty sure the 394 has better porting. Unless you modify the big bore cylinder I would expect less performance and less durabilty than the stock set up.

Hey I do apologize if I led ya wrong, don't know why I would of said that. You would have to change everything making it not worth it possibly? If you really want to know I have 2 394's an 1 395. I can compare the 2 and see if it may work. I personally think the 394 is a better saw, I've never had valour lock problems with mine.

not necessary for me. my 394 is fine the way it is. i was concerned that the 394 i was looking to buy (and did) might have some problems (which it did not).
if i need something bigger, i think i can find a big mac or two laying around my shop. hehehehe!!!

Story

Long story short, IF I can get a carb assembly for a reasonable price, I'll go the 395 route. If I can't, I'll be looking all over for a 394 Cylinder. I can get a piston and rings for $30 for the 394. HELL, all in all, I'll probably just stick it back together and run it till it quits...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Long story short, IF I can get a carb assembly for a reasonable price, I'll go the 395 route. If I can't, I'll be looking all over for a 394 Cylinder. I can get a piston and rings for $30 for the 394. HELL, all in all, I'll probably just stick it back together and run it till it quits...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Likely you can save the cylinder, then just new piston & rings.

Latest posts

Back