394XP has a wet bottom!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carym2a

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well one of the my 394's has a fuel leak in the bottom of the tank in the seam, not real bad but a leak is bad no matter how small, any one have a fix for this or is it time to start switching it out? Thanks

Cary

Welding, this sounds like a good thing, I'll give it a try. thanks , sounds better then epoxy

Cary

I guess you should rinse the fuel out from the tank pretty good first? :msp_scared:

Now if you keep topped off full and the cap tight it sould be safe , also you can see if your getting it sealed up :msp_w00t:

Be aware that this leak was probably caused by E fuel:msp_biggrin:.

Iam thinking on this. If E fuel could eat plastic like this. To me it means it could be releasing plastic residue that could penetrate fuel filters. This in turn messes the carb up. which then can lead to a lean siezure. Correct me if Iam wrong thinking this.

Iam thinking on this. If E fuel could eat plastic like this. To me it means it could be releasing plastic residue that could penetrate fuel filters. This in turn messes the carb up. which then can lead to a lean siezure. Correct me if Iam wrong thinking this.

I don't think it's the E-fuel deteriorating the plastic so much as the fact that these models are notorious for the seam
on the tank coming apart. From my observations it has more to do with poor design and the continual warm/cold
that a saw operates in.

I don't think it's the E-fuel deteriorating the plastic so much as the fact that these models are notorious for the seam
on the tank coming apart. From my observations it has more to do with poor design and the continual warm/cold
that a saw operates in.

I have A friend who is an ex logger. He used to get a few leaky 288s. This was in the 90s. He thinks that it came from sliding his saws day after day into the truck and wore the seams. Especially since the seams are the highest part on the bottom of Huskies

Last edited:
I have A friend who is an ex logger. He used to get a few leaky 288s. This was in the 90s. He thinks that it came from sliding his saws day after day into the truck and wore the seams. Especially since the seams are the highest part on the bottom of Huskies

That's a sound theory. I've cut a few of the 394/395 and 372 tank in half. It looks like the seams are spot welded together.

Your not really wrong in thinking about the reaction of E-gas on plastic and seals , we've had alot of stihls and the box store cheap saws come in the shop with gas caps that have in time swelled to the point that you cant remove it or put it back on and fuel hose going bad getting hard and breaking in a short amount of time, I used to use the plastic fuel filters on my VW bugs and my pickup and change them once a year, now its about every 3-4 months they start to warp and get soft . what I found on a few troy bilt and poulan weed eaters is the E-gas makes the fuel filter come apart on the inside in plug all the small screen s in the carbs even three 2150poulans we opened up had the same thing wrong with them, could be just cheap filters , but its funny we never seen these things before E- Gas showed up and forced on us.

Cary
Oh sorry if the spelling is wrong:)

Your not really wrong in thinking about the reaction of E-gas on plastic and seals , we've had alot of stihls and the box store cheap saws come in the shop with gas caps that have in time swelled to the point that you cant remove it or put it back on and fuel hose going bad getting hard and breaking in a short amount of time, I used to use the plastic fuel filters on my VW bugs and my pickup and change them once a year, now its about every 3-4 months they start to warp and get soft . what I found on a few troy bilt and poulan weed eaters is the E-gas makes the fuel filter come apart on the inside in plug all the small screen s in the carbs even three 2150poulans we opened up had the same thing wrong with them, could be just cheap filters , but its funny we never seen these things before E- Gas showed up and forced on us.

Cary
Oh sorry if the spelling is wrong:)

Thats my theory small sreen plugged in the carb = lean out. Simply because the fuel is cut off.

I wated to edit but it wouldnt let me. Iam stating the carb issues if the E fuel problems are tue. I dont really know if they exist to tank issues. Iam going by speculation

Last edited:
I wated to edit but it wouldnt let me. Iam stating the carb issues if the E fuel problems are tue. I dont really know if they exist to tank issues. Iam going by speculation

No I don't think or blame the leak in the seam is from E-fuel mix, its just from age and rough life in the bush, I'v seen few of them do that over the years. and your right , the carb,fuel filter and hose problems are true , and I do believe it really depends on the location you live and how much ethanol is added to gas on our pumps here they state contains up to 10% so if thats so it could be 1% to 10% you never know . some state not having anything wrong with it, wish I could say the same here.

Cary

Thats my theory small sreen plugged in the carb = lean out. Simply because the fuel is cut off.

YUP! thats the one , kinda a fuzz and sticky goo in the ports and the diaphragm without any flex left.

Latest posts

Back