40-ish cc Saw Choice-----Spring C.A.D has set in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't understand that saw at all but...beings as how you basically bought it on my endorsement, if you don't get any satisfaction from Terry, let me know.
I will not rest until you are satisfied.

Mike
Like I mentioned,there was no work order on it when I picked it up. Might have not even been looked at :msp_mad:. I ran it in front of the store before I left for home, and it ran fine. Idled and revved no prob. The coil problem was fixed first go around, and the tech said there was also metal shavings in there (carb)which had to be cleaned out. May be some more. As not to void warranty by tearing it apart myself, it will have to go back again. More time on the road than in wood, for sure :msp_confused:. When it ran, I enjoyed using it. Light and useful for a 42cc.

If I were you I would send an email detailing some of your experience and the number of visits to Terry Green T.Green at Dolmar dot com and see what he says. He is a tech service manager there I believe. I have dealt with him in the past for less grave matters and he has been helpful.

I think one more time to the dealer to make it right.....otherwise three strikes you're out!!! Then I'll email Dolmar to resolve this issue. Thank goodness for the 2+ saw plan :biggrin:. Any-who, I'll just use the other saws :hmm3grin2orange:

About a year ago got a really nice CS-400 Echo at a yard sale for $20. I MM it after hearing on here that it really improved it. It did. Nice little, light saw that would have been perfect for a homeowner cutting a few cords of wood a year. I stored it in my father's barn. Big mistake. He took it to a Gravely GTG and sold it.

I cut up a pile of black maple a couple of weeks ago with a new 435 Husqvarna and must admit I was surprised at how well it ran. I have never run a 420 Dolmar but having a 79cc Makita know they are exceptional quality. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these choices. But my favorite 40cc saw is the 44 Husky, without a doubt.

Someone that knows a good small saw the 44cc Husqvarna 44 at 2.7hp and 10.5lbs with 13" bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a couple pictures showing the cracked fuel line.

The original part number fuel line was 965452380 which supercedes to part number 965452382. I haven't seen any failure yet on the 965452382 fuel line but there is a newer part number being used on new production which is 965452690. This new number is orange in color but is not available yet in the parts system.

This fuel line is 93mm long, 5mm OD, & 3mm ID.

The fuel line in the picture is cracked worse than most and was leaking fuel. Most are cracked less and cause the saw to act lean and not accelerate. If you have a PS-350 or PS-420 with a black fuel line and are running E10 fuel you will probably have this fuel line issue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 210049View attachment 210050

Someone that knows a good small saw the 44cc Husqvarna 44 at 2.7hp and 10.5lbs with 13" bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's in really beautiful shape. One would have to run these saws to know how incredible they are! Truly amazing. Mine had the orange top cover. Still miss it. Thank you for showing. Brings back some great memories. Bob

Saw in again for the warranty work for the third time in six months. Terry Green at Dolmar will be the next stop if the saw isn't right. Tech said it's probably debris in gas/carb, but it runs the 4 other saws, line trimmer, and back pack blower just fine. If it craps out again, will they refund or replace the saw (Lemon Law)? We shall see!

That's in really beautiful shape. One would have to run these saws to know how incredible they are! Truly amazing. Mine had the orange top cover. Still miss it. Thank you for showing. Brings back some great memories. Bob

I am running an orange top on it now:hmm3grin2orange: I think the 13" bar is best for this saw as I use it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Saw back, again, after slight adjustment of carb???????? Whatever they did, it has once again failed to correct the poor running of the saw. I will be contacting Dolmar as advised by AS members. The Makita 6401 ran fine, though, and i got 4 lightly loaded trailers of maple and mulberry today. Hopefully Dolmar can help me in this new saw predicament.

and the verdict is????

What is the final outcome of your 420 adventure? I've been looking at them but now am not sure, maybe I'll stick with ECHO-Echo-echo....400 that is. I was looking forward to the mag case and pro build. Tom

im pretty new to this site, so i was wondering what c.a.d stands for? i have seen it alot on this site. im guessing is something with wanting to buy or to own more saws....

im pretty new to this site, so i was wondering what c.a.d stands for? i have seen it alot on this site. im guessing is something with wanting to buy or to own more saws....

Chainsaw Acquisition Disease.

I also coined one as C.R.A.P.
Which stands for Chainsaw Resurrection Addiction Phenomenon.

CRAP is one of the most addicting addictions I've ever seen.
It does something deep inside a man when they take something that for all intents and purposes is junk and make a working tool out of it.
This is especially bad if the junk comes in a box disassembled and is even worse if you can make it function BETTER than it did when new.

Mike

It does something deep inside a man when they take something that for all intents and purposes is junk and make a working tool out of it.
This is especially bad if the junk comes in a box disassembled and is even worse if you can make it function BETTER than it did when new.

Mike

alright thanks for clearing that up for me. so i just bought an echo 6700 this week and now what to buy more saws.... so that means i have the disease...at least now i can tell my wife i have a health condition that i can not control....

Mike

I think you're on to something there Mike. My C.A.D. affects me the strongest when I see a non-runner, especially if it's a model that I don't already have. Whenever I see pics of somebody's saw score (with lots of non-running old saws).......I say "Ah CRAP" to myself and wrestle with the urge to contact the guy and 'rescue' some of his 'treasures'. Happened to me again in the North American and 'regular' swap meet threads........:dizzy:

I was wondering too. I bought a echo 400 in December. Really happy with it. The only problem was lean carb settings. Pulled the caps and richened it up. It is the easiest starting chainsaw i have. Recently opened up the muffler which really wakes them up. I bought an echo 520 a couple of weeks ago and was cutting firewood yesterday. I would say the 400 with MM cuts about dead even with the 520. Other people say a 520 cuts a tick slower than a 346. It's my favorite saw lately.

hello
been following this thread for a while.
my 420 has about 25 tanks through it. just completed a MM, compression is 210!!!!
never had a real issue, except when cutting in snow, moisture pulverized the chips into fine dust which collected around worm gear, froze and upon re-starting, stripped out worn gear.
service or dealer support is nice, however, being that i am in a more remote area, i have adjusted to getting all parts, saws,etc through the internet.
Hope things got straightened out, As i would reccomend the 420 as being an above average 40cc saw.
some comment on the weight, however fuel useage is better than a 026, and a stock 026 is not as much fun as the mm420

What is the final outcome of your 420 adventure? I've been looking at them but now am not sure, maybe I'll stick with ECHO-Echo-echo....400 that is. I was looking forward to the mag case and pro build. Tom

:hmm3grin2orange: Find a suitable dumpster for any Echo - I want to puke when I see one, or even hear about one.....:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back