$400.00 dollar budget what saw to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my brother is also going to be working with me so will have another saw with us.what about the husky 455 rancher or the stihl farm boss are they any good to start with as a primary saw?

my brother is also going to be working with me so will have another saw with us.what about the husky 455 rancher or the stihl farm boss are they any good to start with as a primary saw?

They are OK for starter saw, but you'll want to upgrade at some point.

Only saw I'd buy in your price range is a 346xp and will be a little more $$. Was my only firewood saw for 9 years. Get a Pro saw if you can.

I would happen to agrre with looking for a used saw in the 60/70cc range.
I, like you burn and sell some wood. I tried to use a poulan pro but that wasnt near enough, then I got a husky 350. it was fast but I straight gassed it and bought a 455 rancher from loews. WOW no where near what my 350 ever was (not in a good way either) Loews got there saw back and I found Arborist site. I added a $100 bill and bought a nice USED 372xp from a nice gentleman off this sight. I too was a bit nervous/sceptical on buying a used saw off the internet but it turned out very good.

since then have aquired several more saws. ALL USED and I cut through wood in half the time as before and have a whole lot more fun doing it:chainsawguy: GOOD LUCK!!

The makita 6401's seem like a heckuva deal, don't bother with the big bore until you need to. I haven't run one, but I'm going to have to get one just so it can get it's due every time I speak up. Spend $500, oh wait..Chaps? Glasses? Files? Chain? Mix? are you budgeting for a saw or for cutting?

I also bought a used saw off this site. A like new 357xp for $25 more than your budget. So yes, used is a great option when funds are limited.

I believe the Echo 600p is a pro saw and comes with a 5 year warrenty.....

I would seriously consider a used pro saw in the 50-60cc range. Otherwise, buy a 455 rancher (or equal) and wait until you make some capital first to purchase a new pro level saw. If you are going for the seasonal firewood sales, then remember, you will be cutting for a year before you really start selling. Most people don't have enough initiative to buy their wood early. Point being, Pro level saw wouldn't be until sometime in late 2011 early 2012.

For a one saw plan and being Pro and used the MS361 is a hard saw to beat, 59cc, can run a 25" bar if necessary and is happiest with a 20" bar. Same as a New Baileys 'Kita 64cc. Both saws would be ideal one saw plans. Don't forget about HD and their rental saws for about 1/2 the cost of a new 'Kita.

Remember, a Pro saw is worth more later to sell and will typically hold up better/take more abuse. You could sell later and buy a 70cc and a 50cc saw if your firewood business is doing well. Those choices are on other threads.

Remember having more than enough power is much better than not having enough. Welcome to AS site. This place is addictive!

359 Husqvarna, $300 all day on the bag.
Mod a no cat muff and smile all the way to the bank!

For a one saw plan and being Pro and used the MS361 is a hard saw to beat, 59cc, can run a 25" bar if necessary and is happiest with a 20" bar. Same as a New Baileys 'Kita 64cc. Both saws would be ideal one saw plans. Don't forget about HD and their rental saws for about 1/2 the cost of a new 'Kita.

Remember, a Pro saw is worth more later to sell and will typically hold up better/take more abuse. You could sell later and buy a 70cc and a 50cc saw if your firewood business is doing well. Those choices are on other threads.

Remember having more than enough power is much better than not having enough. Welcome to AS site. This place is addictive!

i agree this site is adictive

Are you planning on being able to service and repair your new saw yourself, or do you need the fuzzy warm feeling of a warranty on a new saw?

If you're looking new, coming up with another 100 bucks will make your work much more enjoyable. 500 puts you at picking up a 'kita from Bailey's, as well as several other local options, I'm sure.

Otherwise, invest in a clean, used pro saw that will fit nicely into your current budget. 60cc saws make great all-around saws and work very well for firewood. Should you decide to pick up a Jonsered 2165 or a Makita 6401 I can assure you I'll be jealous. They're on my list. :D

Have fun and keep us updated.

I give my pups air filter covers as chew toys, Stihl is just a little tougher than Husky. Echo seems sort of brittle, not so malleable like you'd expect in a true pro saw.

I better put my tall boots on.......:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back