.404 or 3/8 for 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio hunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what would be the best chain size for a 088 with a 36 inch bar my
catalog list parts for bolth sizes.all cutting will be hardwood

thanks

i used a 088 last winter with a 32 inch bar and 3/8 chain cuttint big hardwood trees on the landing but what i found was with only a 8 tooth gear on it ,it was just to slow for me so i put a 9 tooth on it and that helped but i still used the 3120 that was ported alot more

I run 3/8 on a 36" bar for my 3120 so I would think it should be just fine on your Stihl. I do it out of convenience, allows me to interchange with everything else I have for my 288 and 372.

i guess what my problem is that if it doesnot cut like a raped ape i am not happy plus if you take your 088 with a 8 tooth gear and run it against a 066 that has the muffler with the second opening in it the 066 will cut as fast or even faster because you cannot use your power with only a 8 tooth gear
the 066 turns more rpm's in the wood so it will out cut the larger saw with the same gear on it
on my 3120 i run a 10 tooth gear for cutting on the landing and it works fine and fast
so i guess my thinking is if the big heavier saw is not faster then why use it
and yes to the 3/8 chain

ehp,will a 066 out cut a 088 with a 36 inch bar bolth using 3/8 chain and 8t sproketsor where u refuring to a smaller bar size

never ran a 36 inch bar before but i have used a 32 inch on both before and i know which saw i am going to use the 066
now our mufflers are different then the states because our saws are alot louder than yours in the states we donot have the laws that you do and the loud muffler 066 is almost the same horse power rating as the bigger saws. the muffler does make a big difference
i have done alot of stocksaws shows in the states and ran 066 from there and i find them quite lazy in comparing the 2
in open stock and i mean stock the 066 is a very hard saw to beat

Agree with eph

I run 3/8 Stihl 33RSK on a 36 inch bar using a 8T for the 08X
Works good. Really recommend the 8T sprocket

On the 066 run the same set up.

EPH where do you get a 10T?

Back