441 vs 440 BB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive to say the least. Left stock you have a fuel miser and with porting you have a saw that will keep pace with the big saws.

Stihl needs to get the new version 260 out! where is the popcorn! I hope it follows the 441's footsteps. Newer tech isn't always a bad thing, is it?

Great vids and comparisons!

Its interesting to see how the stratos are doing against other saws and rims. It just stands to reason that more air in a saw is going to give more power. Its just finding the correct ratios and apparantly its being done well!

Great porting jobs Erick and great vids Wild Knight!

It sure is interesting to see how the 441's reputation is changing. Like you mentioned, it's been fed to us that it doesn't take well to mods. I had the same experience with the little Ryobi/Redmax strato 40cc saw. It responded tremendously well to mods. The 362 did good too. What's not to like?

Your right, When I first started dabbling in this forum (summer 2007) the 441 was bashed and considered a turd; too heavy and less power than the 440. There were even comments of people buying up as many old school saws as they could. Well it seems the new technology saws (albiet heavier) are here to stay (thanks epa), and dont believe everything you hear on this forum!

People dont like change, if I had a dollar for everytime I heard an older gent comment on the new fangled EFI engines in cars and how their old carbed V8 engine was so easy to work on. What a load of BS I say! EFI engines dont need as much work and are way more efficient, reliable, cleaner, better performing... The list goes on.

Sorry to take this thread in a different direction, but thanks Wild Knight for reporting your results! They may not be completely precise; actions speak louder than words.

At first, I would have been happy with the 441 responded equally well as the 440 to porting, since they are the same bore and stroke (50 mm x36 mm). But, the 441 performs as well as a modded 460, which is 6.5 cc and 2 mm of bore bigger than the 441. That, to me, is pretty amazing.

At first, I would have been happy with the 441 responded equally well as the 440 to porting, since they are the same bore and stroke (50 mm x36 mm). But, the 441 performs as well as a modded 460, which is 6.5 cc and 2 mm of bore bigger than the 441. That, to me, is pretty amazing.

That is what I am saying! The thought has been for a while that a stock 441 vs a stock 460 is pretty close, but once they are both ported the 460 can't be touched. In my experience so far, if they are both ported the 441 has the advantage.

Great tests guys!

In regards to the 441 being able to retain its torque better with the 9 pin, were both saws ported with the same intake duration? The reason for the question is that with the extra intake flow area of the strato port, a strato should theoretically be able to flow more air with less duration than a single port - thus a slight reduction in intake duration could give the same flow as a conventional engine, but with more ability to retain torque.

When we lowered the jug, we did reduce the intake duration. Not sure if the intake durations are the same or not. One other reason that the saw holds its torque better is the 4 port transfers; the 440 BB only has 2. This may support more air flow under load, resulting in better torque compared to the 440/460.

Thought I'd chime in a bit. :) I got to sink said saw into some walnut this morning and have to say I was more than impressed. Gob's of torque and good RPM's in the cut. My hat's off to Erick on the build and a big thanks to Wild Knight for giving me the opportunity to run it. This saw has definitely changed my outlook on strato's. :cheers:

I have to completely agree with Wigglesworth!!!!

I, too ran that saw in that same 20"+ Walnut and all I can say is it is unbeliveable!!!
I have had a few saws in my hands over the years and that is without a doubt one of the strongest for its size that I have ever had the pleasure of running.

Erick, you did a FANTASTIC job on that saw.
Any time you want to tinker with one of mine, it will be at your disposal!!!LOL

Once again Christopher, thanks for coming up to help a brother out (and you too Jeremy) and thanks for allowing me to run a truly great saw.

Mike

P.S. .....Sorry the soup wasn't better.

Back